Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentist and Medical card?

Options
  • 07-06-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi
    I was just at the dentist and was told I had to pay €30 to see the dentist as the medical card does not cover this. It covered my medication but did not cover to see the dentist. Just want to know is this true. Should I have been charged €30 even though I have a medical card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lac007

It depends on what You had done.As far as I know Your allowed a free check up twice a year,and 2 extractions and 2 fillings a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Kerry3333

I seen the dentist for literally about two whole minutes because she 'was in a rush' and its about a wisdom tooth so she looked in my mouth and wrote out a prescription for antibiotics. I never had to pay before to see the dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

some medical cards are for prescriptions only, and do not cover dental visits. you can check the status of your card here.

https://www.sspcrs.ie/portal/checker/index.jsp

Ok I put in my card number and it came up 'valid' under the 'GMS' scheme? What does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 laura2011

i get one check up a year and either 2 filling or extractions, only ever used the check up and pay for cleans myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 laura2011

if its your second visit in 12 months id imagine you would have to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

laura2011 wrote: »
    if its your second visit in 12 months id imagine you would have to pay

yeah i'd imagine that's the issue there.

Ok I understand now.
    It must be only recent that you have to pay for your 2nd 3rd visit with a medical card but Thanks everyone for quick replies and info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭door

I'm confused over what a medical card holder is entitled to. I used to go to my own private dentist in better times but now that I am on a medical card I assume I have to go a special state one now in order for it to be paid? Is this correct? I live in the Dun Laoghaire area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Wife and I got medical cards, found a dentist on the scheme and made appointment for both of us for check up (free).

Skimmed us for €100 for cleaning. Never told us it wasn't covered.

Then he brings me back for an extraction (necessary) and the requisite 2 fillings. Did 2 minor cosmetic fillings that I didn't know were required and left a tooth which will require work and now I'll have to pay for it because I've had my 2 fillings.

Bottom line ask exactly what is covered and what is not before you sit in the chair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭door

Thanks for that useful information trad!! Just out of interest did you find a private dentist and where can one find private dentists who work with the medical card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

door wrote: »
    Thanks for that useful information trad!! Just out of interest did you find a private dentist and where can one find private dentists who work with the medical card?

Your local health centre should have a list. I needed to get a wisdom tooth looked at and as I have a medical card thats the way I found a dentist.

Ask at the dentists what exactly is covered

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The new rules are short sighted. Dentures are not covered. Not even for pensioners.

I accidentally broke my lower denture last year. No way could I get it repaired on the medical card. E80'; almost a week's money. And no teeth leads to health issues of course.

Thankfully I found a kind young dentist who wangled the repair somehow, else I would be without teeth as many old ones are now. Dentures cost hundreds. I have had mine nearly 30 years. from the years in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clinical Dental tech

You are allowed a checkup and two fillings per year. you are also allowed an unlimited number of extractions. you are also allowed denture repairs and you are also allowed to apply for new dentures every 5 years. approval is by the local principle dentist.
    Tad, you should always get a treatment plan with costings before any treatment is carried out.

Graces you were completely miss informed about the denture repair. The dentist didn't wangle the repair they just put the claim in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Graces you were completely miss informed about the denture repair. The dentist didn't wangle the repair they just put the claim in

Clinical Dental Tech, this is wrong information.

Many treatments which used to be covered under med card scheme are no longer so. This includes dentures and denture repairs. A dentist/patient can apply for approval for these treatments to the local HSE Principal dentist but there is no guarantee of approval and it must be done in advance.

So the previous poster could have been waiting weeks for approval and may not have got it, all the while having a broken denture. The dentist probably rang the principal, explained the situation and asked for assurance that if the repair was done immediately that the HSE would cover it retrospectively.

That would sound to me like the dentist going out of ther way to help someone by wangling and cutting through the usual approval requirement.

In case you think that the dentist made a profit on this, he/she didn't. A denture repair can cost €40 - €70 and the HSE do not pay this much to the dentist (or certainly didnt before the scheme was reduced a couple of years ago).

hi davo, pick up the phone and call PCRS and i think you will find that i am actually right.
    you do not need prior approval for denture repairs.
    do you work within the profession?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Thank you and closed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement