Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic algebra

Options
  • 07-06-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

If x = 1 - 2^1/2 is a root of the function ax^2 + bx + c = 0,where a,b,c are an element of R what is the other root?

Now, I know that the root is x = 1 + 2^1/2, is the other root, but I can't explain it...

Any help, much appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

It's all about how roots are related to factors. (This is meant as a hint rather than a solution)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

shaunie007 wrote: »
    ...Now, I know that the root is x = 1 + 2^1/2, is the other root...

This isn't actually the case when your coefficients can be among the real numbers. If they were limited to the rationals then, yes, this would be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you think about the formula for the roots of a quadratic equation, and the form of results it gives you, then you can get that answer by assuming a = 1/2, substituting the other values above the line, and changing sign where the formula has ±.

However, it's not the only possible answer, since there are all kinds of combinations of (a, b, c) that would produce a quadratic curve with that one given root. I did a little playing in Excel's "Goal Seek" function and it wasn't hard to find others. If the first root is always 1-sqrt(2) = -0.414, then
    (a, b, c) = (0.5, -4.624, 2) and the second root = 9.662
    (a, b, c) = (-1.5, -2.5, -0.778) and the second root = -1.253
    and so on.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

bnt wrote: »
    However, it's not the only possible answer, since there are all kinds of combinations of (a, b, c) that would produce a quadratic curve with that one given root. I did a little playing in Excel's "Goal Seek" function and it wasn't hard to find others. If the first root is always 1-sqrt(2) = -0.414, then
    (a, b, c) = (0.5, -4.624, 2) and the second root = 9.662
    (a, b, c) = (-1.5, -2.5, -0.778) and the second root = -1.253
    and so on.

Indeed. In fact, the second root can be any real number you like. Given any real number k as the second root, the following choice of a, b, and c gives a quadratic whose roots are 1-sqrt(2) and k:
    a = 1
    b = sqrt(2) - 1 - k
    c = (1 - sqrt(2))k.

In fact, there are uncountably many different sets of values for a, b, and c that give a quadratic whose roots are 1-sqrt(2) and k.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

Yes afaik there are an infinite number of solutions to this problem, i.e. you could pair any real number value for x with the other value to form a quadratic equation. So interested to know where you got this question from OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭shaunie007

Yes afaik there are an infinite number of solutions to this problem, i.e. you could pair any real number value for x with the other value to form a quadratic equation. So interested to know where you got this question from OP?

Froma fairly unreliable mock paper.

Cheers folks for your answers...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭shaunie007

From a fairly unreliable mock paper.

Cheers folks for your answers...

Advertisement