Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA 22 weeks no response...

Options
  • 07-06-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    Returned from oz after permanent visa fell apart last minute. Applied for jsa feb 13th when I got home in blanchardstown office. After couple unsuccessful interviews want to go to London so I can get a job. However I have no money to leave. Waiting on jsa for 22weeks, still no means test. Been up to the office several times and was just told by reception this is the norm just wait for response in the post.

Is this normal? I'm now thinking I should just borrow money to get out of here, that the jsa will never come. If they had told me in the first place it would take this long I would have left months ago for London and not bothered. Does anyone have experience with the blanch office? If I leave for London now, will I not get my jsa due? Would I have to come back for a means test?

I thought the purpose of jsa was to assist you getting a job, pay for transport to interviews, food, clothes... Seems silly waiting so long, it's more like a benifit for long term unemployed!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Go to your community welfare officer and apply for supplementary welfare allowance while you are waiting for your jsa to come through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

its not a benefit for long term unemployed, this country is in **** and hundreds of thousands are on the dole so depending on your area and the volume of applicants it takes a long time

like others have said if you have nothing go the the cwo while you wait on your claim

seriously times are hard and the system is backed up there are processes in place for while your waiting for your claim to be processed

when your claim is processed unless you are getting payment from the cwo it will be backdated, and feel free to to london while you wait and seek work but if you find it you must inform the social which will not affect your claim it will just be paid up until you found work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Mohead wrote: »
    Hi,
    Returned from oz after permanent visa fell apart last minute. Applied for jsa feb 13th when I got home in blanchardstown office. After couple unsuccessful interviews want to go to London so I can get a job. However I have no money to leave. Waiting on jsa for 22weeks, still no means test. Been up to the office several times and was just told by reception this is the norm just wait for response in the post.

Is this normal? I'm now thinking I should just borrow money to get out of here, that the jsa will never come. If they had told me in the first place it would take this long I would have left months ago for London and not bothered. Does anyone have experience with the blanch office? If I leave for London now, will I not get my jsa due? Would I have to come back for a means test?

I thought the purpose of jsa was to assist you getting a job, pay for transport to interviews, food, clothes... Seems silly waiting so long, it's more like a benifit for long term unemployed!!!

If you go to London to seek work now you will invalidate your claim for JSA as you have to be residing here for a claim to be processed.

As mentioned you can apply for Supplementary Welfare to tide you over. That said, 22 weeks does seem on the long side to be waiting. Have you been back into the SW office to enquire about your claim?

Advertisement