Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenkeeping help!!

Options
  • 07-06-2012 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Starting a seasonal greenkeeping job next week and would like any help at all?
    I have worked on a site for 2 years so am confident of getting used to machinery quickly enough but I just dont want to go in completely clueless!
    i play golf so I know the general duties of the greenkeeper.

Ive been told main duties are :
    - Raking and edging bunkers,
    - divoting tees
    - strimming work around banks and drains
    - some sidewinder operation and rough cutting
    - course preparation for play

thanks guys
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Seems obvious, but try to not do any damage. Nothing worse than a big scar across the green or fairway because someone was careless with a machine or fertilizer or something.

Enjoy...I hope the weather picks up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

Starting a seasonal greenkeeping job next week and would like any help at all?
    I have worked on a site for 2 years so am confident of getting used to machinery quickly enough but I just dont want to go in completely clueless!
    i play golf so I know the general duties of the greenkeeper.

Ive been told main duties are :
    - Raking and edging bunkers,
    - divoting tees
    - strimming work around banks and drains
    - some sidewinder operation and rough cutting
    - course preparation for play

thanks guys

Did it meself through school and college for seven or eight summers and winters. Never had a better job since. Favourite bit was cutting the greens in the mornings through the dew. Pick a point in the distance, aim her straight and watch that perfect straight line come up. Class!

Some of the machinery takes a bit of getting used to, like the greens cutters. Back in the day, 10 or 15 years ago, we hand cut all the greens every morning but with cutbacks its down to a ride on mower job now. Pity, the hand mower gives a far superior cut.

Most courses have a ride on bunker raker also. This is usually the job for the part-timers, first thing in the morning. Again, they don't do as good a job as man with rake and tend to pull the sand out as they exit the bunker but, again, much quicker.

Anyhow, best of luck. Money is generally piss but still a great job. Also, avoid the temptation to wear earphones - it could save your life. Got two belts from stray balls when wired up, one that nearly broke me shoulder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

cut the rough down to fairway level - everyone will love you!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mikeunt

GreeBo wrote: »
    try to not do any damage. Nothing worse than a big scar across the green or fairway because someone was careless with a machine or fertilizer or something.

thats good advice right there

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sean The Lad

ok so im not expecting to be near any greens anyway and doubt fairways so il not do too much damage :P
    As for the weather its in sweden so happy boy :D

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

ok so im not expecting to be near any greens anyway and doubt fairways so il not do too much damage :P
    As for the weather its in sweden so happy boy :D

thanks

doubt we'll see you at the next boards outing so!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sean The Lad

charlieIRL wrote: »
    doubt we'll see you at the next boards outing so!!:D:D

Professionals arent alowed ;) haha

Advertisement