Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

V8 rebuild

Options
  • 06-06-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody I'm about to strip clean and rebuild a rover 3.5 v8 thats in sorry looking condition back to its glory and I wanted to know is there anywhere local enough that will do vapor blasting at a good price. Reason I ask is I want to bring the block,heads and few other bits and pieces back to the virgin surface of the aluminum. I'm getting all the loose ends sorted before I start the surgery icon10.gif

All the best
    Jon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Can't help with vapour blasting, I just steam cleaned mine several times after soaking in a cleaning tank.

Rebuilt my early V8 last year with a 3.9 efi cam, later heads and timing cover. Very satisfying job to do. Found this site very useful - www.v8forum.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

And how did the aluminum turn out did it get rid of the carbon etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

It cleaned the engine well enough for me but if you are after it perfectly clean with no staining and shiny you need to get it professionally done.

Carbon wise, I cleaned up a later set of heads that weren't too manky, same with a set of pistons and conrods. Dip in the tank and the usual home cleaning techniques (dishwasher may have been involved at one point ;)).

Advertisement