Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does top irish mma fighters make??

Options
  • 06-06-2012 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hey, just wondering how much does top level fighters in Ireland earn and the difference scales of pay in each show? does all top level irish fighters all have jobs as well or is anyone just a full-time fighter?thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Those figures aren't released as they would be in the UFC, and I doubt anyone would tell you how much they make unless you know them very well personally.

Plenty of Irish fighters are training and fighting full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

darced wrote: »

That's coz he spends all his money on costumes and fake moustaches!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Fighters are pulling down very tidy money, and don't even get me started on the chicks!!

However if you really want to clean up, then promoting is the way to go, promoters are ALL loaded. #easymoneymofo

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

darced wrote: »

I think he was taking the piss.
    Tom is paid well. He gets screen time, photo opportunity. His sponsorship deals are good I would guess.
    Even lower ranked UFC fighters are paid significantly more than the fight money in total

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

when the ESPN/UFC salary arguments were kicking off, a lot of UFC fighters came out saying whatever is disclosed is the basic, after sponsors/bonuses etc the end figure is generally about double the disclosed amount. Unless your one of the top guys and getting PPV cuts and big bonuses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Fighters are pulling down very tidy money, and don't even get me started on the chicks!!

They deserve whatever they earn and more. I am however genuinely upset to hear that they are having a lot of success with the ladies, they do not deserve any more than the average level of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

the revenue lads are getting quare shnakey eh?

pauldoo wrote: »
    when the ESPN/UFC salary arguments were kicking off, a lot of UFC fighters came out saying whatever is disclosed is the basic, after sponsors/bonuses etc the end figure is generally about double the disclosed amount. Unless your one of the top guys and getting PPV cuts and big bonuses

Sean McCorkle, 1-2 in the UFC. Said he was paid 150% of his contractual money by the UFC alone. Sponsorship added 75% of top.

George Roop was contracted $6k to show verses Hominick. UFC paid him $12k even though he lost, and sponsors gave him $23.5k.

I'd say double the contract amount is the very least guys are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Mellor wrote: »
    Sean McCorkle, 1-2 in the UFC. Said he was paid 150% of his contractual money by the UFC alone. Sponsorship added 75% of top.

George Roop was contracted $6k to show verses Hominick. UFC paid him $12k even though he lost, and sponsors gave him $23.5k.

I'd say double the contract amount is the very least guys are getting.

People on here are obsessed with what UFC fighters earn, I don't get it!

And it's always "he made this plus Bonuses plus sponsorship" etc

Sponsorship is not Pay-it is separate and should be counted literately, I know this does not directly relate to this thread but the whole obsession with UFC lads pay and always trying to play up how much they earn is strange, Isn't that Dana White's job to do.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    [
    ... always trying to play up how much they earn is strange, Isn't that Dana White's job to do.
    I wasn't trying to play up how much they earn. It is what it is. People always say "how come [fighter] only got $X,XXX every time the payouts come out". It was mentioned above, so I was just pointing out that the lower guys do far better than everyone outside of top promotions.

I've no direct knowledge of what a typical pro fighter makes for fight/main card/main event. But I bet it's not much in relation to the work involved.

Mellor wrote: »
    I wasn't trying to play up how much they earn. It is what it is. People always say "how come [fighter] only got $X,XXX every time the payouts come out".

But it's not what it is!!

Sponsorship is paid for wearing clothes and doing a different job, Promotions pay the fighter to fight-Sponsorship does not or should not be talked about as Pay for fighting as it's separate from pay for fighting.

When Floyd Mayweather fights and gets 20 million people don't go on about how he made 10 million through sponsorship aswell-Fighters tend to be sponsored for periods of time and not just for the fight so they are earning the sponsorship year round.

The whole need for people to go on about bonuses and sponsorship etc is like making excuses for why the pay is not that great to start with.

This is not just aimed at you Mellor but all people who seem to obsess on UFC fighters pay and seem to be trying so hard to big it up..

Pro fighters in Ireland are not making big money in fairness, even say a fighter at a good level got 500 euro to a grand that's for 2 months work (training camp) so in general at Irish level people are doing it for the craic or for to aim to higher destinations such as the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Seriously, would people stop saying "It is what it is". It was whatever it was before you said it.

cowzerp wrote: »

But it's not what it is!!

Sponsorship is paid for wearing clothes and doing a different job, Promotions pay the fighter to fight-Sponsorship does not or should not be talked about as Pay for fighting as it's separate from pay for fighting.

When Floyd Mayweather fights and gets 20 million people don't go on about how he made 10 million through sponsorship aswell-Fighters tend to be sponsored for periods of time and not just for the fight so they are earning the sponsorship year round.

The whole need for people to go on about bonuses and sponsorship etc is like making excuses for why the pay is not that great to start with.

This is not just aimed at you Mellor but all people who seem to obsess on UFC fighters pay and seem to be trying so hard to big it up..

Pro fighters in Ireland are not making big money in fairness, even say a fighter at a good level got 500 euro to a grand that's for 2 months work (training camp) so in general at Irish level people are doing it for the craic or for to aim to higher destinations such as the UFC.
    I think you've misunderstood me.
    The OP was about earnings, not fight money. Earnings includes everything that puts money in the bank. When Beckham or Tiger Woods are described as the highest earning sports stars, that's including sponsorship. Highest paid is different.

I do understand your point about people attributing sponsorship money to the UFC as if it was a bonus. But that's not what I was doing. I was trying to quantify what even a short stint in the UFC could be "worth" to an Irish fighter, as opposed to what the UFC pay their fighters.

In each show would suggest that it was based on the day and not overall regular sponsorship.

Anyway it's not really interesting debate i'm sure you'd agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 YourMMA

Never fought in Ireland (would love to) but I can tell you fighting on domestic shows isn't all sunshine and rainbows. If you're a good ticket seller on a local show however, then you can earn a few quid but that does not necessarily equate to the work put in. My fight in Brazil got me more than three times as much in terms of purse as any UK show I fought on (sans ticket sales).

There are some UK and Irish shows that put up decent purses for their champions though, I know that. Is it what they're worth? It's all relative.

Advertisement