Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What am I after

Options
  • 06-06-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I have not been to the dentist in 10 years and I want to go in and get my teeth cleaned. What is it I have to book? Do I book a check up and the cleaning is included or do I book a scale and polish? I seen that on some price lists, is that a cleaning or does it come under the check up.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Book a checkup first. Then the dentist can assess the state of the mouth (decay, gum disease, amount of tartar present, oral cancer screening, ect), and plan your cleaning appointment accordingly re time& intensity.
    After 10 years, you may need one straightforward 30 minute appointment, or numerous cleanings under local anaesthetic. There's no way of predicting in advance, every patient is different.
    Unless you're of the "6 monthly attender,daily flosser, non-smoker non-tea/coffee/redwine drinker" patient variety (ie: minimal cleaning required), the cleaning will likely be charged separately.
    Ask for a written estimate for treatment required after the checkup has been completed. Good luck:)

Advertisement