Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach town/village in Clare?

Options
  • 06-06-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi

Myself and my husband and baby are planning a few days in Clare in early July with my parents. I could do with some advice on choosing an area to stay in. I have been looking up doolin, doonbeg, lahinch etc and finding it hard to see which would suit everyone best. Basically we would love to be close to a nice long sandy beach for early morning and evening walks and close enough to walk to some bars and restaurants in the evening.we wouldn't need a lot of variety - but a decent local within walking distance that serves good foos would be great. Good traditional music as well for my dad! I'm thinking there may be lots of hens/stags in lahinch so maybe we should rule that one out.
    Also if anyone could recommend either a nice self-catering cottage near the beach or hotel it would be great. Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭byebye

Kilkee sounds like it ticks the boxes, nice beach/cliff walks plenty of nice bars "The Greyhound" is a nice spot plenty of places to eat also and in walking distance

i booked a house with http://www.westcoastholidays.ie/ and i think the cover lahinch,doolin etc also.

lahinch would be good for you too but i'm not sure what its like with stag&hens anymore. but everything is in walking distance also

Doolin, Doonbeg are much smaller and a longer distance from beachs

Phlux wrote: »
    Hi

Myself and my husband and baby are planning a few days in Clare in early July with my parents. I could do with some advice on choosing an area to stay in. I have been looking up doolin, doonbeg, lahinch etc and finding it hard to see which would suit everyone best. Basically we would love to be close to a nice long sandy beach for early morning and evening walks and close enough to walk to some bars and restaurants in the evening.we wouldn't need a lot of variety - but a decent local within walking distance that serves good foos would be great. Good traditional music as well for my dad! I'm thinking there may be lots of hens/stags in lahinch so maybe we should rule that one out.
    Also if anyone could recommend either a nice self-catering cottage near the beach or hotel it would be great. Thanks a mill.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

+1 for Kilkee, it really does seem to tick all your boxes by the sound of things, if you were looking for something quieter you could keep going to Carighaholt, that is a lot quieter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Killkee would be your best bet as long as it isn't full of travellers or scumbags.It has everything you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I wouldn't rule Lahinch out either, to be honest I prefer it to Kilkee. Kilkee can be dead when the weather is poor, whereas Lahinch will always have a buzz due to the surf crowd that goes there. It's also a good deal closer to the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren.

It has a good few restaurants and plenty of bars, and the beach is about a mile long, so there's plenty of room to stretch your legs.

Doolin, as said, is a bit quieter but it has plenty of bars and is big on trad music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I wouldn't rule Lahinch out either, to be honest I prefer it to Kilkee. Kilkee can be dead when the weather is poor, whereas Lahinch will always have a buzz due to the surf crowd that goes there. It's also a good deal closer to the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren.

It has a good few restaurants and plenty of bars, and the beach is about a mile long, so there's plenty of room to stretch your legs.

Doolin, as said, is a bit quieter but it has plenty of bars and is big on trad music.
    Yeah I think Lahinch gets a raw deal because it has that grotty looking arcade which tends to attract a lot of messers but the main street is pleasant. O'Looneys is what usually draws in the young crowd but there are plenty of bars/eateries that would suit a more mature couple. As already mentioned it's also quite a bit closer to the sights. Not just the Cliffs but also the Burren and Ballyvaughan which would be ideal for you as a village it just doesn't boast a beach of Lahinch proportions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

You could also check out Spanish point it has a long beach and white strand nearby has a cliff walk + beach, there are plenty of hotels and cottages by the beach. The music bit might be a bit lacking but the Willie Clancy festival (mecca for traditional music) is just down the road in Milltown Malbay and that happens in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Fanore might suit you well if you are prepared for short drives to Doolin and Ballyvaughan to ring the changes pub wise and food wise etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Phlux

Brilliant - lots of food for thought there.

I am thinking perhaps lahinch may actually be the best bet as it is that bit closer to a lot of the attractions and not as built up from the pictures. Doolin would probably be my choice only for the lack of sandy beach. We will probably go midweek - would we get any music in pubs midweek?
    Kilkee looks lovely but maybe a day trip there would be best.
    The willie Clancy festival would be great to experience alright - better get moving on trying to find accommodation. Thanks for all the info. great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭byebye

Tbh if you dont hit kilkee on a bank hol weekends there will be no travlers around. everything is compact and the clif/beach (one if the safiest for swiming in ireland) walk is superb! also when the tide is out nautral swimming pools are left at the diamond rocks cafe well worth a visit for a chilly swim :) its not much further than lahinch and a nice coast road between the too with lots of quite beaches along the way.

you could be unlucky in lahinch and be overrun with stags/hens and of course schoolkids this time of year!....lol

Btw i'm not fom kk just spend many a happy time there!

Hope all this helps :)

PS: dont forget loophead lighthouse and loophead which is open to the public! well worth a visit with great views river shannon on on side and atlantic on the other next stop new york.....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Seafield beaches are my favourites, especially, the West Beach as it offers a nice long walk of about 1 1/4 miles in each direction (when the tide's out!). The Bellbridge House Hotel is nearby (only a mile up the road) at Spanish Point and offers very homely, comfortable accommodation with reasonably priced meals. The Clonmore Lodge just up the hill from Quilty also does B&B & there's the Quilty Tavern which also does food. It's a lovely area to stay in & is a good centre to tour from (Loop Head/Kilrush/Kilkee/Cliffs of Moher/The Burren/Ailwee & Doolin Caves/Ennis/L.Derg are not too far!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭user37

CiaranMT wrote: »

Hi, i'm guna join in now! i am also thinging of clare in early July, thanks 4 the tips on where to go. i will just be going with the oh. is there any nice hotels in lahinch or kilkee.would love 4 star (hopefully not a 4 star price though:D)!
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

No 4 star in Kilkee or Lahinch. Doonbeg Lodge would be allright. But you said you didn't want to pay a 4 star price so that place is ruled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I would saw either Lahinch or Kilkee would suit for a mid week break. If the break was over the weekend, I would prefer Kilkee.
    Lahinch has a lot happening plus depending on your childs age, it does have a very good playground. If the tide is out, you can have a great long walk from the prom around to the bridge near the ruins on the castle golf course.

Spanish point is nice and the armada is great for music during the summer but distance from anywhere is by car.

For the person looking for a 4star hotel in lahinch or kilkee;
    The Falls in ennistymon is a 3 star but just an amazing hotel.(2miles from lahinch) If you could book them, the self accommodating apartments are lovely. It has a nice Gym and outdoor hot tub.
    http://www.fallshotel.ie/

The Armada in Spanish point is just shy of 4 stars but it can be dear and has weddings every weekend.
    http://www.armadahotel.com/
    I know the names of some good B&Bs if you ever need to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

For the person looking for a 4star hotel in lahinch or kilkee;
    The Falls in ennistymon is a 3 star but just an amazing hotel.(2miles from lahinch) If you could book them, the self accommodating apartments are lovely. It has a nice Gym and outdoor hot tub.
    http://www.fallshotel.ie/

The Armada in Spanish point is just shy of 4 stars but it can be dear and haas weddings every weekend.
    http://www.armadahotel.com/

Great recommendations there! - I've stayed in the Falls and the Armada lots of time and I've attended a fair few weddings there too. They are fine hotels.

Guys,

Really sorry to bother you again but i'm having trouble finding a nice hotel in Lahinch or Kilkee. So i was wondering......
    Is Ennis far from Lahinch ( or any nice beach)and the cliffs of moher, burren etc if i was to base myself there???
    Thanks again for all your help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

finbarrk wrote: »
    No 4 star in Kilkee or Lahinch. Doonbeg Lodge would be allright. But you said you didn't want to pay a 4 star price so that place is ruled out.

What about http://www.irelands-blue-book.ie/moy-house.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

user37 wrote: »
    Guys,

Really sorry to bother you again but i'm having trouble finding a nice hotel in Lahinch or Kilkee. So i was wondering......
    Is Ennis far from Lahinch ( or any nice beach)and the cliffs of moher, burren etc if i was to base myself there???
    Thanks again for all your help

Ennis seems further than it is, because the road isn't great.

Where are you coming from and what is it you want to do during your stay ?

i will look up Moy house now, thanks, i hadnt seen it on tripadvisor.

Basically i want a nice hotel, few pubs & resuartants around, near a beach!!! id like to go to the cliffs of mohor but have no problem driving to these.
    thanks

The falls in Ennistymon was already mentioned in case you missed it, its about 2 miles to Lahinch, I also saw offers for it advertised recently on some of the deals websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Think the Golf and leisure is open again in Lahinch, the rooms there are pretty nice and its right in the middle of lahinch. the place is pretty big too so it should have rooms

• Advertisement

Deal on livingsocial this morning

Soar over to Logues Lodge, Ballyvaughan, where you can enjoy a two-night stay for two in a double room for just €99 (up to a €219.74 value, for up to 55% off).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

You can get great deals through booking.com on a few hotels in Lahinch and around Clare.

Last week they had rooms at the Lahinch Golf and Leisure hotel for €29.99, which is a great deal, although they were only for a couple nights during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MyNameis.com

Deal on livingsocial this morning

Soar over to Logues Lodge, Ballyvaughan, where you can enjoy a two-night stay for two in a double room for just €99 (up to a €219.74 value, for up to 55% off).

They do good food in the bar too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

user37 wrote: »
    Hi, i'm guna join in now! i am also thinging of clare in early July, thanks 4 the tips on where to go. i will just be going with the oh. is there any nice hotels in lahinch or kilkee.would love 4 star (hopefully not a 4 star price though:D)!
    thanks

The Falls, the Armada, as mentioned, are lovely hotels.

The Vaughan Lodge in Lahinch is a 4-star apparently, I haven't been in to it though.

http://www.vaughanlodge.ie/

Advertisement