Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

MASS SPEC - MASS APPEARS TWICE IN SAME SPECTRUM

• 06-06-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22 Kina

Hi all,

Just made a product as part of a Research project, and after running through LC-MS, the parent ion mass has appeared twice. I personally have never seen this happen before, so have you any ideas? A dimer issue has been suggested.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭ Kevster

Actually, I have seen this. Before I did my PhD in cancer, I worked a few months at the Dept. of Chemistry at the Uni of York and was doing MS routinely. I saw - numerous times - ion masses that were multiple-times the parent (i.e. some even more than double). I was however working with sugar molecules (hexa- and penta-saccharides).

Which molecules are you working with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭ ianobrien

Are they same using TOF? Are they same using high mass accuracy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Sergio Happy Hospital

It sounds like something extremely hydrophobic is lodged on your column, for example detergent. This will make your column a non homogeneous surface and will cause the double banding you have described. If you or anyone else are running samples always spin filter to remove detergent. Give the column a complete flush through for several hours but depending on the detergent the column may need to be replace. They are notoriously difficult to remove once they stick onto a column.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭ sarumite

It sounds like something extremely hydrophobic is lodged on your column, for example detergent. This will make your column a non homogeneous surface and will cause the double banding you have described. If you or anyone else are running samples always spin filter to remove detergent. Give the column a complete flush through for several hours but depending on the detergent the column may need to be replace. They are notoriously difficult to remove once they stick onto a column.

If you have detergents, you would probably see it in the spectra though?

I can only speak from biological sample analysis, but the more common detergents (or detergent products) have common diagnostic ions.

Advertisement