Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

guys i am in a bind

Options
  • 06-06-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭

i have been with fbd for the last two years, my insurance came up for renewal on 7/5/12. i forgot about it until the 18th, i rang a few companys and recieved quotes, on the fone fbd extended mt policy until 5pm on the 23rd, i chose 123.ie paid the premium, they now require a ncb from the 7/5 until 23/5, fbd will not issue it, they require me to stay with them on third party only for 349 euro 123.ie charged me 289 for full comp, they now are now canceling my policy, i assume that no one else will take me on so i am stuck with fbd, any ideas folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

flutered wrote: »
    i have been with fbd for the last two years, my insurance came up for renewal on 7/5/12. i forgot about it until the 18th, i rang a few companys and recieved quotes, on the fone fbd extended mt policy until 5pm on the 23rd, i chose 123.ie paid the premium, they now require a ncb from the 7/5 until 23/5, fbd will not issue it, they require me to stay with them on third party only for 349 euro 123.ie charged me 289 for full comp, they now are now canceling my policy, i assume that no one else will take me on so i am stuck with fbd, any ideas folks.

Your no-claims bonus is good for 2 years from date of issue. I've just re-insured my DD after 12 months off, and there was no problem.

It might be written on it, somewhere.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Do you owe an outstanding balance to them? AFAIK that's the only situation where they're allowed to withhold your no claims bonus.

Maybe because they extended your insurance, they took it as acceptance of a new contract or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭flutered

they are not owed money, i asked for a bill for the time in question, i was told that i do not owe money.

i am now trying to go back to fbd as it seems the easiest way out, they now tell me that as i had not paid them on time they need to inquire from their underwriters as to what they require.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

i have been with fbd for the last two years, my insurance came up for renewal on 7/5/12. i forgot about it until the 18th, i rang a few companys and recieved quotes, on the fone fbd extended mt policy until 5pm on the 23rd, i chose 123.ie paid the premium, they now require a ncb from the 7/5 until 23/5, fbd will not issue it,
    Why would anyone need proof of NCB from the 7th to the 23rd of May? Did FBD extend your policy or start a new one year policy?

• Advertisement

i was offered a new one year policy by fbd, they extended my policy until 30 may, third party only costing 377, 123 offered me full comp for 289, i accepted and paid them, they now require a ncb from 7th to the 30th may, i re applyed to fbd for insurance this afternoon, they have refused me stating that i drove without insurance, as 123 required a ncb for the 7th to the 23rd of may i was not insured, they have offered to supply a letter sayin that i was covered from the 7th to the 30th, but they will not supply a ncb, 123 now say the letter will not suffice as it is not an ncb.:mad: over 25.ie has also refused me insurance saying i do not fulfill their criteria, i have a lifetime claim free driving, i do not have any claims pending, i no not have convictions of any kind during my life nor none pending, what the fcuk is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Your insurance expired on the 7/05/12. FBD insured you from the 7/05 to the 23/05. You will have to pay a cancellation fee in order to get your NCB cert from FBD. Did you think they were going to insure for nothing?

i was offered a new one year policy by fbd, they extended my policy until 30 may, third party only costing 377, 123 offered me full comp for 289, i accepted and paid them, they now require a ncb from 7th to the 30th may, i re applyed to fbd for insurance this afternoon, they have refused me stating that i drove without insurance, as 123 required a ncb for the 7th to the 23rd of may i was not insured, they have offered to supply a letter sayin that i was covered from the 7th to the 30th, but they will not supply a ncb, 123 now say the letter will not suffice as it is not an ncb.:mad:
    Why do 123 require a proof of NCB from the 7th to the 30th?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Why do 123 require a proof of NCB from the 7th to the 30th?

I would say to make sure he did not make any claims in those few weeks.

hondasam wrote: »
    I would say to make sure he did not make any claims in those few weeks.
    Couldn't FBD issue a letter to confirm that?

• Advertisement

Couldn't FBD issue a letter to confirm that?

I think FBD are looking on it as a policy that he has cancelled and it's how it looks to me as well.
    Insurance companies are a law onto themselves at the best of times. He is in a no win situation, he needs the NCB.

I think FBD are looking on it as a policy that he has cancelled and it's how it looks to me as well.
    As in he renewed rather than having the policy extended by a few weeks? There should be a recording of the phone call, which could clear that one up. If he did renew then there would be cancellation fees and the rest.
    Insurance companies are a law onto themselves at the best of times. He is in a no win situation, he needs the NCB.
    I wouldn't be surprised if 123 could be persuaded to accept a letter from FBD confirming that he was insured and claim-free.

As in he renewed rather than having the policy extended by a few weeks? There should be a recording of the phone call, which could clear that one up. If he did renew then there would be cancellation fees and the rest.

Yes. I can't see the benefit of extending the policy when it was up, why not just renew it.
    No insurance company is going to insure you for a few weeks while you shop around for a cheaper quote.
    You have to have your most recent NCB, if he did cancel with FBD then his most recent NCB is from the 7th to the 30th. I could be wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cromwelly

Most insurers will require a "gap in cover" letter if there's an apparent break in cover, to prove there were no claims in the interim few weeks.

Have you tried talking to 123 and asking them what you can do?

fbd will issue a letter stating that i was covered from the 7th to the 23rd, 123 will not accept the letter, they require a ncb from the 7th to the 23rd, fbd will not issue a ncb from the 7th to the 23,
    HAPPY DAYS, axa have insured me subject to producing a copy of the no claims bonus, also that i present myself and my licence tomorrow in their limerick office, i explained all of the above to them, which they could not understand, also my name came up clean in the systm.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,308 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

fbd will issue a letter stating that i was covered from the 7th to the 23rd, 123 will not accept the letter, they require a ncb from the 7th to the 23rd, fbd will not issue a ncb from the 7th to the 23,
    HAPPY DAYS, axa have insured me subject to producing a copy of the no claims bonus, also that i present myself and my licence tomorrow in their limerick office, i explained all of the above to them, which they could not understand, also my name came up clean in the systm.
    You have paid 123 though. Have you looked at the terms of your contract with them. I have seen insurers take 70% of premium even after early cancellation, specifically for new customers to stop people cancelling and driving around with the invalid cert in the windscreen.

mickdw wrote: »
    You have paid 123 though. Have you looked at the terms of your contract with them. I have seen insurers take 70% of premium even after early cancellation, specifically for new customers to stop people cancelling and driving around with the invalid cert in the windscreen.
    it is they who are doing the cancelling

Advertisement