Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy

Options
  • 06-06-2012 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi there,

(I am new to Boards so please give advise if i am in the wrong area or forum)

I am a ecstatic reader of fantasy books. Wheel of time, Lotr, Terry Pratchett etc,

I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a new series to read.

I like long series that hopefully never end because finishing a book is the worst thing!

Thanks

Josh :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Not a big fantasy reader myself so I can't help, but there's a dedicated Sci-Fi & Fantasy forum here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93

You should find plenty of recommendations there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JoshuaCaswell

Thanks mate, was wondering if i did this whole posting thing right :D

that was what i was looking for thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Achillles

Have you tried The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson? The first book is Gardens of the Moon, and there are ten books to the series in all- each book roughly ranging between 200-350k words.
    They are absolutely epic in their scope and originality, my second favourite set of books of all time.
    Be aware they are quite heavy going though-they make The Wheel of Time series look like picture stories by comparison. Well worth it though.
    I'm sure you have heard George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series is brilliant too, although I'm only two books in so far.

Achillles wrote: »
    Have you tried The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson? The first book is Gardens of the Moon, and there are ten books to the series in all- each book roughly ranging between 200-350k words.
    They are absolutely epic in their scope and originality, my second favourite set of books of all time.
    Be aware they are quite heavy going though-they make The Wheel of Time series look like picture stories by comparison. Well worth it though.
    I'm sure you have heard George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series is brilliant too, although I'm only two books in so far.
    Yea i am in the middle of terry brooks atm, i am gonna start the game of thrones series after ( dunno why i havnt read them befor). I have never heard of the malazan books but if they are any way as good as you let on i will have to give them a read! thanks for the post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

If you haven't already, you could also try 'The Belgariad' and 'The Mallorean' by David (and Leigh) Eddings. Great series of books.

Also Neil Gaiman's works are always pretty good if not quite the Wizards, Orcs and Goblins type of fantasy that most people are used to. :) Neverwhere and American Gods are two favourites of mine.

Advertisement