Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will PS3 "fat" HD work in PS3 Slim?

Options
  • 06-06-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Having been searching on the forum for YLOD repairs, it appears it's not worth the hassle of getting them repaired. I really don't have much on the hard drive but I do have some Singstar stuff downloaded for the kids. I'm thinking I'm just going to get a slim. Can I take the HD out of my "fat" PS3 and will it work in the a slim?

The last time I got the YLOD Smiths took it in and gave me a 160GB for I think €160. Does any one know if they still do this and can you get a slim instead?

Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Hi guys,
    Having been searching on the forum for YLOD repairs, it appears it's not worth the hassle of getting them repaired. I really don't have much on the hard drive but I do have some Singstar stuff downloaded for the kids. I'm thinking I'm just going to get a slim. Can I take the HD out of my "fat" PS3 and will it work in the a slim?

The last time I got the YLOD Smiths took it in and gave me a 160GB for I think €160. Does any one know if they still do this and can you get a slim instead?

Cheers.

You can put a phat HD into a slim, however each HD is married to a particular console - so once you put it into a slim, it will format the HD and will then be married to the slim.

However, the Singstar stuff you have downloaded will be available to your PSN account and can be re-downloaded as and when you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

F1ngers wrote: »
    However, the Singstar stuff you have downloaded will be available to your PSN account and can be re-downloaded as and when you need it.

Are you sure on this on F1ngers? I had a YLOD before and when I try to get the Singstar media downloaded again it says it can't be done on to that console. Granted this was months ago I tried getting the old media downloaded, perhaps the set up has changed with the PSN?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Are you sure on this on F1ngers?

100% certain - have done it myself - not singstar, but other games.
    I had a YLOD before and when I try to get the Singstar media downloaded again it says it can't be done on to that console. Granted this was months ago I tried getting the old media downloaded, perhaps the set up has changed with the PSN?

How many PS3s do you have activated? ie did you deactivate the previous YLOD?
    Do you or your kids *cough*gameshare*cough*? If you do this, it adds to your active PS3s - of which you are allowed 5 systems.
    To deactivate old systems, go here, http://store.playstation.com/login.gvm and do this:
    • Click on "Manage Your Account"
    • This will take you to the Sony Entertainment Network Account Page.
    • Now click on the "Media and Devices" option on the left side of the window.
    • In the square that says "Games", click on the downward arrow below (or anywhere in the square) where it lists how many PlayStation systems you have activated.
    • Now click on the button that says "Deactivate All".
    • Read the message carefully and click "OK".
    All PS3 and PSP devices are now deactivated.
    Now log onto your working PS3 or PSP and activate it as normal.

Ah maybe that was the problem. No don't game share at all. PS3 gets pretty much confined to Bluray & Netflix with the Singstar for the kids. Will deactivate old PS3's once I sort out a new slim. Thanks for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

You can't transfer Singstar content to your new PS3. It must be part of the specific licensing agreement they had back when they launched the DLC.
    You will have to get onto Sony who will refund you the cost of the DLC so you purchase it again on your new Slim PS3.

• Advertisement

Thanks Ongarite.

Has the YLOD been all but solved on the Slim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Let us know how you get on with the refund from Sony.

I'm in a similar situation - wife has about €50 worth of Singstar songs on the old YLOD PS3.

Advertisement