Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Earthquake

Options
  • 06-06-2012 11:09am
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, did anyone feel the tremor?

It happened around 8:55 this morning and measured a 4 on the richter scale.

My mother said she felt it, I slept through it unfortunately. I slept through a magnitude 6 in NZ once too :D

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Felt it for sure. Desk and chair shook. Was weird. Thought I was going nuts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Turned out it was my phone vibrating to wake me up.................

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

frag420 wrote: »
    Turned out it was my phone vibrating to wake me up.................

And your in Dublin....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

uk.jpg.0

Mag 4 earthquake 60km west of the mayo coast @ 8.50 this morning @ depth of 3 km.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

RTE are all over it! - http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0606/earthquake-reported-off-coast-of-mayo.html

Where were ye to feel the tremors? Was it only the very western coast?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

112309_matt_earthquake_display_image.jpg?1279519800

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

yop wrote: »
    And your in Dublin....

Im a heavy sleeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i think i was in the shower.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I was in the kitchen and didn't notice it. Weird.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

RTE are all over it! - http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0606/earthquake-reported-off-coast-of-mayo.html

Where were ye to feel the tremors? Was it only the very western coast?

I'm around the achill area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

Shell discovers Earthquake off Mayo. Government sells rights to 20th Century Fox

so anyone pet warn of the tremor? the neighbours dog went mad barking but to be honest the damn never shuts up sometimes. also i was upstairs so i doubt it was large enough to shake the 2nd floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

My dog barked half the bloody night :mad: First time I've ever had to go downstairs to see what was going on with her! It's really not like her. On the rare night that she does bark it's once or twice and in reaction to other dogs barking outside and I couldn't hear any others barking last night.

However, this was in the first half of the night and at 8.55am she was here by my feet curled up asleep and neither of us felt a thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

I'd a lot of customers in at work from Louisburgh and they reported everything from pictures falling off walls to structural damage. The majority said it just sounded like a truck passing by their house. I didn't feel a thing!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There's a house under construction across the road from us, so I guess we heard/felt it but subconsciously dismissed it as yet another truck delivering building materials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Well, did anyone feel the tremor?

It happened around 8:55 this morning and measured a 4 on the richter scale.

My mother said she felt it, I slept through it unfortunately. I slept through a magnitude 6 in NZ once too :D

Enda sitting on the lou and on the phone again at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

AuvG_2SCAAAJkMR.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think there's a few exagerrations doing the rounds. Someone told my mother a fisherman said Bill's Rock was completely submerged by the tidal surge :D

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think there's a few exagerrations doing the rounds. Someone told my mother a fisherman said Bill's Rock was completely submerged by the tidal surge :D

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I like how mid west quoted the Irish Geological survey as saying that the risk of a tsumani has passed. From here

:eek: or :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i think it's funny how we felt nothing here but people 20 miles inland are talking as if they've lived through the end scene of deep impact :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Are these for sale anywhere?!
    AuvG_2SCAAAJkMR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Are these for sale anywhere?!

ebay, collectors items!

There is some even autographed by Paul Claffey!:D

Advertisement