Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Korean BBQ Capel St

Options
  • 06-06-2012 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

I was driving down Capel St the other day and I passed a Korean BBQ restaurant that looked like it had massive chimneys over the tables inside.

I've had a google and I'm seeing Bonga and Hilan restaurants, but I'm almost sure that the place I saw wasn't either of these.

Does anyone know? Can anyone recommend one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Bonga is a buffet style Korean restaurant and isn't that great in terms of food in my opinion. It is however a good place to go with friends for the Karaoke rooms upstairs.

Hilan is the best Korean BBQ I have tried in Dublin. It's a Chinese/Korean restaurant. It's quite reasonable. You order a portion of meat for approx. €10. I usually find 2 portions do three of us to eat. Also order rice, lettuce and gochujang (korean chili sauce). Then cook the meat, dip it in the sauce and wrap it in the lettuce with cooked garlic and a little rice. Sorry if you know all this but thought I'd explain in case not :p

There are others on capel street but I haven't tried them and most koreans I know here recommend Hilan anyway.
    Kimchi restaurant on parnell street is another good Korean but it doesn't do BBQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Cheers Pete that's great! Next time I'm over that direction I'll have a look to find out the name of the one I saw before.

I'm looking at this for a family birthday dinner so want something better than buffet food!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Hilan is really super, and the barbeque is a good laugh with red hot coals being transported around the place (surely health and safety will shut it down sometime :P). The rest of their menu is very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Having lived there Korean BBQ's are great! Can you get Galbi, and Soju (Korean drink) and proper kimchi?. Have some Korean people coming in July so this is good to hear.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Having lived there Korean BBQ's are great! Can you get Galbi, and Soju (Korean drink) and proper kimchi?. Have some Korean people coming in July so this is good to hear.

Cheers

Yeah the beef for the BBQ is top quality. You can also get the fatty pork if you prefer that. Kimchi and everything yes but soju is about €10 a bottle so a bit pricier than korea :D

• Advertisement

Cheers

Yeah the beef for the BBQ is top quality. You can also get the fatty pork if you prefer that. Kimchi and everything yes but soju is about €10 a bottle so a bit pricier than korea :D

Thanks! 10euro!!!! :O same korean brands? Is it run by Koreans too? Try order in Korean and make an eejit of myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Fair play, you guys are very helpful! Thanks!

I've found the name of the other restaurant, the one with the chimney flutes over each table. It's called Arisu, Facebook page. It's got a couple good reviews on Yelp, have any of you lot been there? How does it compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MarchX

I've been there, and I would recommend the pork and kimchi zige (a hot and spicy soup), dolsot bibimbap (a mix of vegetables, meat, rice and egg, brought in a stone hot pot), maybe rabokki, although it may taste a bit funny. Also, if you're hungry, you can get the Korean meal box for €10. To be honest, I've enjoyed most of their dishes, except for one which was a bit too sweet for my taste. I haven't tried the BBQ, though.

I cannot compare it to other Korean restaurants, but the owners are Korean, or so they seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Big fan of Hilan. Lovely lovely food that's very well priced. The staff are also friendly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Looking to head out this weekend for a Korean BBQ place. Are any of the places mentioned above still around Capel Street.

Whats the best recommendation.

I was thinking of going to Arisu if it is still open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Cheers

??

Do you visit Irish bars when you are Korea or hit the chipper in Tenerife?

Seems a bit odd to take Korean vistors to Ireland to probably a very average Korean restaurant. Up to you I guess.

MadsL wrote: »

??

Do you visit Irish bars when you are Korea or hit the chipper in Tenerife?

Seems a bit odd to take Korean vistors to Ireland to probably a very average Korean restaurant. Up to you I guess.

Post was a year ago :/

As for the rest of the post, seriously??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Thread was started agggggeeeessss ago. Start a new one please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement