Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmowers on sale in B&Q

Options
  • 06-06-2012 12:47am

Been looking for an electric mower for a few weeks. Decided on a Bosch Rotary 37 whivh was around €168 in Argos and Woodies.
    Went into B&Q at weekend and they have reductions on all lawnmowers. All Bosch mowers have an extra 25% off. I ended up paying €82.50. Massive price difference.
    Was not just a weekend offer as I was in again today and sale continues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Have you tried using it yet, am in the market for a good mower so this might be just the ticket...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Offer ends 14 June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

I got a couple of vouchers in B+Q last weekend that gives an additional 10 percent - (I think - the vouchers are at home and I don't know the T&Cs) off purchases over €50 so would make for an even better price. Have a look around for some vouchers before you purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

electric mowers are an awful hassle trying to keep the cable pulled out of the way. Give me a petrol one any day

I only have a small garden and i wanted something light to handle. Have been using a Petrol one for years.
    I mowed the lawn and it is incredibly light and easy to use. Cable can be annoying but you quickly learn how to avoid it.
    Am very happy with the mower and especially the price i paid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

electric mowers are an awful hassle trying to keep the cable pulled out of the way. Give me a petrol one any day

True that, but electric are also lighter - don't need petrol, don't need servicing, can be quieter, don't have to be pull started. The cable is a hassle, but you learn to mow so that it's not a big deal very quickly!

Me, having used both a lot, would prefer electric.

Actually, I'd prefer one of those robot mowers, but can't afford one, don't trust one and would be worried that it would be stolen.

the Bosch Rotary 37 in the original post is a rechargeable battery one with no cable to get in the way.

glasso wrote: »
    the Bosch Rotary 37 in the original post is a rechargeable battery one with no cable to get in the way.
    There is 2 versions. The rechargeable and corded ones. The rechargeable version is much more expensive. I got the corded version.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thats why you allways keep the cable to one side of you and you work/push the lawnmower off away from that side so that the cable doesnt get in your way.The cable will allways be off to that side.

Its not rocket science and rather simple in fact.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Picked this up today, cheers op. It had no problem cutting through two feet of wet grass. With regards the cable, just work away from the socket and your. Sorted. Petrol are way more hassle. Forever breaking down. Batteries wouldn't last long in a 1400 watt mower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

keeping the cord out of the way isn't that much of a deal work in one direction across the grass. Unless you've some awkward shape with lots of trees and such in the middle of it. I use the bigger one of these with the 1700w motor. Fine for a medium sized garden.

ted1 wrote: »
    Picked this up today, cheers op. It had no problem cutting through two feet of wet grass. With regards the cable, just work away from the socket and your. Sorted. Petrol are way more hassle. Forever breaking down. Batteries wouldn't last long in a 1400 watt mower.
    Did they have many left when you were in there?

yes, i got it in the Tallaght branch at 7.30 and they had an end ailse full, probably more out back aswell.

as a FYI, its actually the 36 and not the 37.

its the one in the top left here.

http://diy.ceros.com/roi/gardenlivingbook/page/226

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

It had no problem cutting through two feet of wet grass.

Rubbish! :rolleyes:

no its not.

I just bought the house and the grass hadn't being cut in a while. it was more than 2 feet in some places.

why would i make it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭PressTheButton

no its not.

I just bought the house and the grass hadn't being cut in a while. it was more than 2 feet in some places.

why would i make it up?

ted1: Just bought house AND new lawnmower! Won Lotto? If you say 'no' we'll know for sure you're making it up! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

How would you know????

Are you the lawnmower and gardening "guru"???

FYI...Garden grass comes in many forms,thicknesses and styles,and often a 2 foot depth of grass can be cut down easier than a 1 foot clump of grass.

Maybe you should research the matter a bit more,before making comments like that to the poster.

Regards.

Well got one yesterday, anyone know the difference between the 36 and 37? I'll be cutting the grass tomorrow, doesn't even need it but want to try her out...

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭crank_1975

Just to note that these are priced at €110 in store but €82.50 at checkout. I picked one up today and the guy in B&Q was talking it up at €110 so €82.50 is a definite bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

Maybe I was a bit harsh, apologies OP. But I've owned that mower and quite a few others, and it never came close to cutting grass that length, and wet grass no chance as it clogged the exit to the basket in no time so you were forever turning it over and clearing it out. But then again I may have had evil grass.
    paddy147 wrote: »
    How would you know????

Are you the lawnmower and gardening "guru"???

FYI...Garden grass comes in many forms,thicknesses and styles,and often a 2 foot depth of grass can be cut down easier than a 1 foot clump of grass.

Maybe you should research the matter a bit more,before making comments like that to the poster.

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Got one in Athlone earlier , Priced @ €161 but scanning @ €89 , Got it for my Mother's house with a small back garden and medium front , Currently I have to haul my own one in and out of town , I set it up cut the back and on first impressions its fantastic , It even does stripes.:D

The one I go is identical to the picture on amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000NLMISS/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_g60_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0Q4T4XFYG78EAP0CP9NG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

The one linked earlier on the B&Q site has a much more elaborate looking handle !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

I don't know about the one mentioned but I have a 4 or 5 year old Bosch Rotak 34 and I swear it could do a field of hay.

Cuts through anything. Even the crap kids drop in my front lawn that I can't see :)

It's pretty much some sort of chainsaw come lawnmower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭phormium

I love the battery ones, I had a Flymo one for about 15 yrs until it eventually gave up, now I have the battery version of the Bosch Rotak, have it about 4yrs now. I have a reasonable sized town front and side garden and as am on a corner I have to cut the path strip which is about 150ft in total, takes longer than the garden. Got it really cheap in Woodies at end of season and B&Q were selling them off last year for about €120, was going to buy a second one but it was gone when I went back for it. Great bargain at that price, they don't sell well so they nearly always have them left at end of season. No leads and no petrol, what more could you want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Maybe I was a bit harsh, apologies OP. But I've owned that mower and quite a few others, and it never came close to cutting grass that length, and wet grass no chance as it clogged the exit to the basket in no time so you were forever turning it over and clearing it out. But then again I may have had evil grass.

I've used the this mower and the bigger 1700w version of this for clearing out neglected gardens with long grass. I had to take the box off, and do 2 or even 3 cuts the last one with the box on. It will get the job done eventually. But its nothing like a petrol mower for power which would do the same job in one cut.

That said for normal use they are great.

The one I got had the newer handle as per catalogue picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

phormium wrote: »
    I love the battery ones,... !

How long does it take to charge? How long does a charge last?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭phormium

The old flymo used to be plugged in on continuous charge, the bosch has a lithium ion(?) battery and only needs to be charged when you want it, takes about 40 mins maybe, I have never timed it really as I usually think of plugging it in early in the day if I want it, it beeps when it's ready. It doesn't have to be charged every time, it seems to hold it for a while. It would take me about 30 mins altogether to cut garden and path but I could get extra garden cut out of charge few days later as well. It doesn't like wet grass or very long grass but it's perfectly adequate for small well maintained garden like mine :)

The convenience is worth anything, they should target women in the advertising of these!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Sold out of the 36 in Tallaght last night.
    But there were loads out in Liffey Valley.

Now to buy a house.... :)

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Sold out of the 36 in Tallaght last night.
    But there were loads out in Liffey Valley.

Now to buy a house.... :)

Do It, actually i'm surprised there hasn't been many houses in the bargain alerts. some serious bargaisn out there at the moment. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

For anyone who wants to get one in Tallaght, I was told to just bring the display one/barcode number to the till, pay the current reduced price and they will ring you in a few days when the new stock comes in. There were a good number of them in Liffey Valley yesterday at 5 p.m. You can also use the Wednesday senior's discount (if over 60!) or trade card for an additional 10% off the reduced price, making it €74.25 (priced at around €169 in the B&Q catalogue per shop assistant).

Advertisement