Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Gatecrashers - Social Group

Options
  • 06-06-2012 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

Ok I'm moving to LK soon to go to UL, having been living in Bristol UK and I know no-one in LK.

While in Bristol I joined a great social group called Bristol Gatecrashers.
    The deal is anyone can join, the group meets every Tuesday night for a regular pub quiz and also organises pub piss-ups, cinema trips, day-trips and so on whenever people want to.

It's run through a facebook group and I loved it :)
    So I want to start the same in LK...

Here's the blurb from the Bristol effort....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Welcome dear Bristolian! This is a group which brings together people from all walks of life, from various cultures and backgrounds, having just two things in common, they all live in Bristol and they all want to meet new people and make new friends.

You may be a visitor to this wonderful city or you may live and work here.. but if you want to connect with others like you, widen your circle of friends, meet new people and Gatecrash into a melee of a truly wide variety of people, from flower sellers to doctors to lawyers to IT blokes to craftsmen to nurses to students blah blah blah(phew!), then this is the place to start.

Bristol Gatecrashers has been created for the sole purpose of making everyone in Bristol get to know,.. well.. everyone else! We're talking pub meets, walks, weekend barbecues the works! Everybody joins in, everybody comes out feeling great. Join in, spread the word and gatecrash into a really active life!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm just putting out feelers... Any thoughts ??? Great or crap idea ??? Any good place to meet regularly ??? I'm going ahead with the idea anyway in about a month (gotta get a flat in LK first)...

Peas... CZ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭georgem25

Check your www.meetup.com there is a group there called the new and not so new to Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ok I'm moving to LK soon to go to UL
    If UL = University of Limerick, just goto the clubs & socs day (usually a week after the college starts) and join up a few clubs that interest you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ChickenZombie

Unfortunately, being a mature student I´d probably struggle to have much in common with standard undergrads but thanks for the tip syco :) I will be joining whatever clubs interest me though.

Haven´t been able to check out meetup.com coz I´m in Spain on hols and haven´t a word of Spanish which the site shows in & I can´t find an English option, will do tho.

ta

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Unfortunately, being a mature student I´d probably struggle to have much in common with standard undergrads but thanks for the tip syco :) I will be joining whatever clubs interest me though.

Haven´t been able to check out meetup.com coz I´m in Spain on hols and haven´t a word of Spanish which the site shows in & I can´t find an English option, will do tho.

ta

Don't be to quick to dismiss the C&S in UL, there are tons of mature students that join various clubs. As a mature student I get on famously with the younger ones even tho my eldest is only 5 years younger than most of them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

The Caseys run the Limerick Gatecrashers if I'm not mistaken?

• Advertisement

Hi y'all - I'm well settled into my new pad in Castletroy and looking forward to 4 good years in Limerick.

I'll probably start that social group soon enough.
    Something like - search facebook for "Bristol Gatecrashers".

Any tips on where'd be a good place for meetups? I was thinking Flannerys on Tuesday night or something like that, but I don't know Limerick that well.

See y'all out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Having just been through a degree course in UL as a mature student I would honestly lose the "mature" student bit. You are a student plain and simple.
    I was twice the age of most of my classmates and still enjoyed every minute of it.
    Go in with an open mind and best of luck to you!

P.S. Friday nights in the Stables cater for International Students/Postgrads so might be an older demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Move in to the city! UL is great, but the city has more to offer, in my opinion. A lot of post-grad students choose the city over the campus for that reason. What part of Castletroy are you staying in? If it's on campus (Dromroe, Kilmurray, Cappavilla, Thomond villages) then the quickest and easiest way into the city is via the river bank by bike (assuming you're not a car owner). Best of luck in your course and hope you enjoy your Limerick years :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

zulutango wrote: »
    Move in to the city! UL is great, but the city has more to offer, in my opinion. A lot of post-grad students choose the city over the campus for that reason. What part of Castletroy are you staying in? If it's on campus (Dromroe, Kilmurray, Cappavilla, Thomond villages) then the quickest and easiest way into the city is via the river bank by bike (assuming you're not a car owner). Best of luck in your course and hope you enjoy your Limerick years :)

-1. The city is dead after 5pm. OP, is much better being out near UL.

OP, the demographic of Irish students is changing due to recession and other factors. You will find a lot more mature students studying in Irish colleges.For example, the medicine course in UL is exclusively for mature students. You will definately meet a good few people on campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Well I quite like this idea, Its kinda like the Limerick Hackergroups, the boardsies going to the quiz etc. I see no harm in giving it a try; OP Why not create this for yourself, as you are the one with experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭roseagra

I'd def back up the C&S idea, I went back as a mature student and have been very involved in a number of clubs and helped with some societies.

But there's no harm in trying something new and good to have more outlets off campus.

And there's also a fair bit of social activity by the Limerick couchsurfing community, many of whom meet on a Tue night in the wicked chicken for open mic night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

panda100 wrote: »
    -1. The city is dead after 5pm. OP, is much better being out near UL.

Totally disagree with that. Lived on campus myself for a bit. It's cold and sterile, and besides that, who wants to be cooped up on a campus 24/7? Believe it or not, the city centre has quite a lot to offer. You just have to open your eyes to it. An increasing number of postgrads are choosing the city centre for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I'd be interested in this. Not a big fan of going out and getting fucked up or whatever, but still could be fun.

Hi and thanks for the opinions, info and tips :)

I'll be starting the group come September and will post a message re: meeting up in the city.

I think both UL and the city centre have a lot to offer :)

Advertisement