Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pre molar root canal cost

Options
  • 05-06-2012 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

My wife needs to get a root canal on an upper pre molar.
    Can anyone give me a rough estimate on price.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

My wife needs to get a root canal on an upper pre molar.
    Can anyone give me a rough estimate on price.
    thanks

Depends on who does it, but probably 400-500 ish??
    You most likely need to factor in the cost of a crown too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Depends on who does it, but probably 400-500 ish??
    You most likely need to factor in the cost of a crown too....

how much extra would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Again, depends but e700-1000 for a decent job...

Again, depends but e700-1000 for a decent job...

OS why would a crown be needed on top of a root canal.

I can hear another trip to Slovakia calling.

Got my teeth cleaned with a hygeinist here for 60. Cost 14 e in Slovakia and she did a great job.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Got my teeth cleaned with a hygeinist here for 60. Cost 14 e in Slovakia and she did a great job.

One a tooth gets RC overtime it will become brittle. Not getting a crown will lead to an increased chance in in breaking/cracking and/or needing extraction.

Please go to Slovakia.

• Advertisement

Please go to Slovakia.

thanks for the info....but the I don't want ur business comment hurts;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Quality dental care costs, it takes time a number of visits over a number of months for the treatment you need. It will be cheaper in Slovakia however with flights, time off and accommodation it wont be. You will find somebody that will do the root canal and crown in a week for you but that's not the correct way to do it. Having your teeth cleaned is totally different from advanced dental work. Some dentists train for 3 extra years to learn how to do root canals well, so there must be more to it than a simple cleaning.

Helimachopter doesn't want you business he is not a dentist. (you not doing a bit of amateur dentistry these day heli are you?)

It will cost you 3-4 times as much if you get a poor job done, or simply the cost of an extraction and a gap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Helimachopter doesn't want you business he is not a dentist. (you not doing a bit of amateur dentistry these day heli are you?)

I'm waiting on BSc in Dentistry to arrive in the post :pac::pac:

I'm waiting on BSc in Dentistry to arrive in the post :pac::pac:

There is no one more deserving.:-)

I appreciate that there is time involved and the issue of anything going wrong with work abroad is always there.

We would have time constraints or accommodation cost as she would be going home.

The difference in cleaning costs just makes me wish the hygeinist was available last week when I was in Slovakia. I know wages etc are a factor.

Why would a root canal be so dear if the roots are already removed.
    Our Irish dentist quoted 500-600.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I had root canal completed perfectly recently total cost was 430. This was done on molar and was in ***no names***. I would have no hesitation recommending them and the dentist i dealt with was professional and insured that i knew what he was doing when he was doing it (provided alot of reassurance tbh)

I wouldnt be inclined to go abroad at all, as i would like to know i have somewhere to go back to if there are issues. local and not a planes journey away.

• Advertisement

Why would a root canal be so dear if the roots are already removed.
    Our Irish dentist quoted 500-600.

Again i'm no dentist... but if the roots are already gone, shouldnt the canals have been filled to prevent infection?
    If not.. this is probably going to cause issues down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I paid €300 recently for a root canal and filling on my upper right pre-molar and it seems like a fine job.

No crown required.

Irish dentist in Cork City with his own practice.

I paid €300 recently for a root canal and filling on my upper right pre-molar and it seems like a fine job.

No crown required.

Irish dentist in Cork City with his own practice.

Come back when it fractures...

Come back when it fractures...

So you're a prophet as well as a dentist now yeah?

Would you care to explain yourself?

So you're a prophet as well as a dentist now yeah?

Would you care to explain yourself?

Sorry to disappoint, non crowned RC'd teeth are more prone to fractures.
    It's something every dentist i've ever met has said.

A friend has 3 RC'd teeth and he hasnt got any of them crowned, it's only a matter of time..

Sorry to disappoint, non crowned RC'd teeth are more prone to fractures.
    It's something every dentist i've ever met has said.

So all RC'd teeth should be routinely crowned regardless?

So all RC'd teeth should be routinely crowned regardless?

From my point of view, I would say most dentists would consider it best practice.

Now i'm not a dentist and my view point is from conversations with various dentists including a pretty epic endodontist that I should go and get a crown or i'll be at risk of a tooth fracture.

From my point of view, I would say most dentists would consider it best practice.

I spoke to him about a crown at the time but he must not have thought it necessary because he didn't push it.

The tooth I had treated was in fairly good shape other than a cavity that had been filled by this dentist previously. At the time of the initial filling he advised me that the tooth may need a RC because the cavity was very close to the pulp and eventually it did start giving pain which resulted in the RC.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

I have just had a root canal done in Sligo, it cost 600 Euro. No crown but a filling. I know it is so tempting to travel abroad for Dentist work but it is not worth it. There is no come back when things go wrong.

Advertisement