Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC wireless router to aerial wall port!?

Options
  • 05-06-2012 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey,
    Can anyone tell me can i connect my UPC wireless router to a standard aerial wall port at my house? ( The connection from the UPC box is an RF cable). HELP !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,104 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hey,
    Can anyone tell me can i connect my UPC wireless router to a standard aerial wall port at my house? ( The connection from the UPC box is an RF cable). HELP !

Why would you want to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 confused2012

Because in order for it to work normally, you would need an NTL/UPC box on the wall to plug the connection in but I dont have one. I just have an ordinary aerial wall port.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,104 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

But that's not going to do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It has to be connected to a cable television socket.

Instructions are here :

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/281/~/installing-fibre-power-broadband

Other sockets in your house could be simply connected to a TV antenna on your roof, or might not be connected to anything at all.

Also, beware that some houses have internal coaxial wiring that is only suitable for television antennas with RTE etc or maybe analogue cable at a push.

More recent UPC installations have a branded socket that contains an isolator. It's a pretty large unit.

Older installations vary depending on which company installed them. In Dublin and ex-cable link areas it's often a slightly smaller box that looks about the size of a surface-mounted light switch. This might be fine too.

In Cork the isolator was sometimes not in the socket, it may have been installed where the cable entered the house and the sockets were just normal F-connector plates (unbranded with no circuitry behind them at all).

Normally a UPC engineer will remove any older stuff and install a standard UPC-branded socket. It's not necessarily going to cause a problem though if you have older equipment.

However, if you've problems with the broadband signal, you may need to get an engineer to come out and install wiring to the modern standards.

Also make sure that you connect the modem + TV using a splitter (supplied) to the TV port. Do not use the FM/Radio port!

• Advertisement
Advertisement