Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows 7 install problem

Options
  • 05-06-2012 4:21pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hello I'm trying to install win 7 from a dvd, there is a previous installation but I cant access it, bootmgr missing. I am getting a strange error, when I run the install dvd it says loading windows files...then it goes straight to the starting windows screen for a little while. I then get a bluescreen that stays on the screen.

A Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to protect your computer.
    Page fault in no paged area.

How is it giving me this?! I am trying to install windows but that sounds like an error from a previous installation?!

I have tried with 2 different install dvds...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I now made a ubuntu dvd and when i put it in it says kernal panic, not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block

I can't even boot live from the dvd...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I now made a ubuntu dvd and when i put it in it says kernal panic, not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block

I can't even boot live from the dvd...

Could be dodgey RAM as thats where Live CD's load themselves to AFAIK.

Try run memtest: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso If it finds anything and you have multiple sticks of ram start a process of elimination.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Will burn that now thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Been running that for near 4.5 hours. Says 7044 errors, 0 ecc errors. Does that mean the ram is broken?
    Does it just run forever, I should stop it myself?

• Advertisement

Yeah it's most likely faulty RAM alright. It keeps running until you stop it (press Esc to stop).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yoyo wrote: »
    Moved to windows
    'cos it's dodgy RAM :pac:

maybe you can use /burnmemory or something to avoid the RAM

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff542290%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
    The truncatememory or removememory options are available on Windows Vista and later. The truncatememory option disregards all memory at or above the specified physical address. The removememory option reduces memory available to Windows by the specified amount (measured in MB). Both options reduce memory, but the removememory option is better at restricting the operating system to use the specified memory while accounting for memory gaps.

For testing purposes
    memtest can export a list of dodgy memory and then use badram to let ubuntu - actually grub2 - know which areas to avoid http://www.bootlinux.org/?p=153

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Been running that for near 4.5 hours. Says 7044 errors, 0 ecc errors. Does that mean the ram is broken?
    Does it just run forever, I should stop it myself?
    yes it runs forever to catch intermittent or heat dependent problems

do a BIOS reset in case timings are out, not that it's likely to fix the problem , but if it does happy days

if you have two SIMM's try each separately - in the old days I'd have said swap them around / reseat them so the slower one is nearest the CPU, but nowadays timings should be read off the SIMM itself

Advertisement