Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted Overhead Cable

Options
  • 05-06-2012 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I came home from work last week to find UPC had run a cable right across my back garden. noticed that birds have been sitting on it and their droppings have been falling onto the patio.
    We live in a corner house and the wire runs from the Neighbor's house behind us, to my next door neighbors house. bypassing our house because we don't use cable TV.
    are they allowed do this without asking permission? how would I go about getting it removed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

breend9 wrote: »
    how would I go about getting it removed

Ring UPC on 1908 and speak to customer service. They'll be able to send the request onto the relevant department.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭zg3409

Don't cut it anyway for safety (some of them carry power) and legal reasons. Be fair but firm. They can also run cables underground (at a higher cost to them) or they can try run it a different way.

You may not make friends with the neighbours if UPC decide there is no other way but to disconenct the cable and not provide your neighbours with a service.

Also having UPC as an option adds to the sale value of your home. It might actually be neater to ask them to run the cable along your facia. If the facia is brown or white they can use coloured trunking to hide the black cable. They sometimes do a great job, sometimes a horrible job. It depends who is around and the time and how insistant the owners are on a neat job.

Try to be reasonable and both sides can come to a compromise. Often they will offer you FREE basic analogue channels, or other sweeteners.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shane.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Don't cut it anyway for safety (some of them carry power) and legal reasons. Be fair but firm. They can also run cables underground (at a higher cost to them) or they can try run it a different way.

You may not make friends with the neighbours if UPC decide there is no other way but to disconenct the cable and not provide your neighbours with a service.

Also having UPC as an option adds to the sale value of your home. It might actually be neater to ask them to run the cable along your facia. If the facia is brown or white they can use coloured trunking to hide the black cable. They sometimes do a great job, sometimes a horrible job. It depends who is around and the time and how insistant the owners are on a neat job.

Try to be reasonable and both sides can come to a compromise. Often they will offer you FREE basic analogue channels, or other sweeteners.

upc adding sale value to your home!!!! if only it was that easy to add value!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

breend9 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I came home from work last week to find UPC had run a cable right across my back garden. noticed that birds have been sitting on it and their droppings have been falling onto the patio.
    We live in a corner house and the wire runs from the Neighbor's house behind us, to my next door neighbors house. bypassing our house because we don't use cable TV.
    are they allowed do this without asking permission? how would I go about getting it removed

Was there cable TV installed in your house before? If so UPC may have a way leave and can access you land to run cables and attach items to your house. Your only option here is to make the best deal possible with them.

If there was no cable TV before than they've been naughty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,427 ✭✭✭✭ted1

funny you should say that, i just moved in to a new house and a neighbour 5 doors down won't allow them run a cable through the eaves of the house. becuase of him myself and 4 other neighbours have no broadband, phone, or on demand services.

to top of it off he has a horrible rusty satellite dish on the front of your house. I'm sure i can convince him to change his mind..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

Hang on a minute. Don't UPC have a licence to provide cable, and obligations under that license i.e. coverage to a percentage of the population... it appears to me that they're taking the handy route by running cable through people's property, and then blaming the neighbours when they don't get a wayleave (permission to run through anothers property) to route cables, and citing that as a reason they can't provide the service.
    This **** is a new programme of work by UPC from what I can see. Expect to see it on a property near you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

ted1 wrote: »

funny you should say that, i just moved in to a new house and a neighbour 5 doors down won't allow them run a cable through the eaves of the house. becuase of him myself and 4 other neighbours have no broadband, phone, or on demand services.

to top of it off he has a horrible rusty satellite dish on the front of your house. I'm sure i can convince him to change his mind..

AFAIK, that's UPCs problem, not his. They're obligiged to provide the service under their licence. He's not obliged to provide the cable route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭zg3409

I thought that anyone can set up a cable service and that UPC had no coverage obligations. I could be wrong. They could provide TV via MMDS in these cases.

Also there is a good chance the old cable is still there, so providing the current system.

I have seen UPCs outdoor cabling and in general it is up to a much higher standard than the old cabling, but I have seen some shortcuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Report him to the council for breaking planning laws

johndoc wrote: »

AFAIK, that's UPCs problem, not his. They're obligiged to provide the service under their licence. He's not obliged to provide the cable route.

It's not financially viable for UPC to go around the house, so he's been a dick and making it my problem. it costs approx €1,000 to dig up 1m of pavement. they'll need a minimum of 20m. so how can they justify a 20k job to provide a service to 6 customers. So it's my problem not UPC's

UPC are calling out on Monday to see if they can sort it out. if they can't I'll call down and explian that he is affecting his neighbours, if he still resists I'll be lodging a complaint to the planning enforcement office in the council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

UPC are calling out on Monday to see if they can sort it out. if they can't I'll call down and explian that he is affecting his neighbours, if he still resists I'll be lodging a complaint to the planning enforcement office in the council.

This has been a problem with cable TV for as long as I can remember; if one house doesnt play ball the whole street gets affected. Not sure there is much you can do other than hope that the prick changes his mind.
    Del2005 wrote:
    Report him to the council for breaking planning laws

Since when is it against planning laws to have a satellite dish on your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

djimi wrote: »

You need planning permission to have a satellite dish on the front of your house or above the eaves.

You do not need permission to have one at the side or rear once it is below the eaves.

djimi wrote: »
    This has been a problem with cable TV for as long as I can remember; if one house doesnt play ball the whole street gets affected. Not sure there is much you can do other than hope that the prick changes his mind.

you can't change the facade of a building. here's the reply i got from the council.

Please find attached herewith a copy of the Class 4 exempt development conditions and limitations for satellite dishes.

If the dish is not placed, as per the exempt class requirement, it is not exempt development, and would require the benefit of a planning permission.

CLASS 4
    (a) The erection of a wireless or
    television antenna, other than a satellite
    television signal receiving antenna, on the roof of a house.

(b) The erection on or within the
    curtilage of a house, of a dish type
    antenna used for the receiving and
    transmitting of signals from satellites.
    The height of the antenna above the roof
    of the house shall not exceed 6 metres.

1. Not more than one such antenna shall
    be erected on, or within the curtilage of a
    house.

2. The diameter of any such antenna shall not exceed 1 metre.

3. No such antenna shall be erected on, or forward of, the front wall of the house.

4. No such antenna shall be erected on
    the front roof slope of the house or higher than the highest part of the roof of the house.

johndoc wrote: »
    Hang on a minute. Don't UPC have a licence to provide cable, and obligations under that license i.e. coverage to a percentage of the population... it appears to me that they're taking the handy route by running cable through people's property, and then blaming the neighbours when they don't get a wayleave (permission to run through anothers property) to route cables, and citing that as a reason they can't provide the service.
    This **** is a new programme of work by UPC from what I can see. Expect to see it on a property near you soon.

utter nonsense. they only obligation they have is to provide channels for free. this does not say to a certain percentage. that is Saorview adn Saorsats job.

there obligation is to the shareholders.

by handyroute, i take it you mean the finically viable route. I take it you don't work in business ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Paulzx wrote: »
    You need planning permission to have a satellite dish on the front of your house or above the eaves.
    3. No such antenna shall be erected on, or forward of, the front wall of the house.

I wasnt aware of that :)

Advertisement