Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The complete low-down on CK401

Options
  • 05-06-2012 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey I know there are a lot of CK401 thread's but they all seem old and out of date.

I'm just about to start my Leaving Cert on Wednesday and hope to do Computer Science in UCC. I have a few questions regarding the course itself.

1. What do you expect the points to be this year? I know nobody knows for sure but what do you predict?

2. Do you have to choose a language for the 10 extra credits?

3. What spec of a laptop would you need? High end, full of RAM model or just an ordinary, standard laptop?

4. Which would be of more benefit for the course Mac or PC, or does it matter?

5. What sort of maths problems do you have to solve? I know people say that Ordinary Leaving Cert maths will do but what is the standard regardless?

6. Any extra info you feel incoming first years should know?

Any help in answering my questions would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

1. What do you expect the points to be this year? I know nobody knows for sure but what do you predict?

Im not sure obviously but as interest in it is increasing they most likely will rise back to the levels seen at the peek.
    2. Do you have to choose a language for the 10 extra credits?
    No, you can also choose two 5 credit economics modules or one of two 10 credit math module, They have an induction week where all this information and more is broken down and given to you to choose.
    3. What spec of a laptop would you need? High end, full of RAM model or just an ordinary, standard laptop?

You will have access to the labs, and you will more than likely be better off using them, the facilities are really good, open until 10pm on weeknights and open on weekends and the internet speeds are good.
    4. Which would be of more benefit for the course Mac or PC, or does it matter?

For first year PC, but ultimately it doesn't matter, i know a good few cs students with macbooks.
    5. What sort of maths problems do you have to solve? I know people say that Ordinary Leaving Cert maths will do but what is the standard regardless?

Math wise, its not so much math as it is logic and problem solving. if you are good at coding you will also do well. The labs are good at helping you with this side anyways and you will have lab demonstrators to help you if you should need it.
    6. Any extra info you feel incoming first years should know?

you will learn most of it such as about college life and what you need to do at the registration day, and for the first two weeks the department of Computer Science give you an induction where they go through everything and get you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

For the UCC CS degree program, in first year you can choose between two maths course that roughly correspond to higher-level and ordinary-level. The higher-level course is taken by the mathematics students and is very difficult. The other one, I presume, is okay. So the "official maths" you do shouldn't be a problem as you just go with whatever course you can handle.

The broader issue is the link between mathematical thinking and computer programming. In my experience those who are very strong at maths will find programming easier, while those who are weak at maths will find programming more difficult. People who have done CS (I study maths) could perhaps comment on the correctness of that! But doing OH level maths is by no means a barrier for doing programming; it just means you might find it slightly more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Izzie11

Im starting this course in September too! :D Just wondering if anyone has any information on the timetable? I had to sort out childcare and its hard to work out the cost when I dont know how many hours I'll have in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Izzie11 wrote: »
    Im starting this course in September too! :D Just wondering if anyone has any information on the timetable? I had to sort out childcare and its hard to work out the cost when I dont know how many hours I'll have in college.

it might change, but this was our timetable this year:
    Computer Science First Year timetable

We also had labs outside of the lectures,

my hours were roughly

Mon 9 - 3/4
    Tuesday 10 - 6
    Wed 9 - 6
    Thurs - Off (unless you had maths or economics)
    Friday 11 - 2

The creche in Ucc (if they are young enough) is €140p/w its really good, but you'll need to put their name down once your place is confirmed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Also worth noting that the UCC Creche is located in brookfield which is just across the footbridge from the western gateway building (where CS department is located)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 StephenCahill

Thanks for all the replies! Really useful info!

Advertisement