Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade In Ideas

Options
  • 04-06-2012 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Evening all.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to sell/ trade in two cars- a 07 audi A3 1.6 102HP Attraction and a 05 Mercedes CLS350 and finish up with one.

I drive the audi at the moment and the CLS has been covered in the garage for the last number of years steadily losing any remaining value so it has to go :o. Both are in good condition, full service history etc etc.

Looking at prices of similar spec'd cars on carzone I'm looking at a cumulative value of €25/26k plus maybe 5k cash max budget. Don't necessarily have to spend it all, golf GTI is still very much the likely possibility but I don't think i'd get a lot of cash on the balance.

Basically I'm looking to assess my options. The type of car I'm looking at would be M3, M5, +3.0 litre 3 or 5 series, golf GTI, impreza 22B, 911, S2000. I think that gives an idea of the type of cars that intrigue me!!:D. At this stage i've lost enough on depreciation so I definitely want something that'll hold it's value (very important), maybe even a modern classic.

Is it an option to bring something in from the UK? Not sure how that'll work considering I've 2 to get rid off here. Again I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,437 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Drive the cls?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 scottbigbee

Ha, if only it were that easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,437 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sell the Audi and spend the proceeds on petrol and tax. You know it makes sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

not being smart, just curious, why not?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Have to say to you that an 05 Cls is worth less than 10k ( at best)

and 07 Audi A3 petrol is worth about 8k at best.

You do not have 25k cumulative value as Carzone prices are very inflated.

sorry to deflate you. Suggest you sell both on donedeal and assess your situation. Also the other cars you list ( and any other cars) are not depreciation proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The question when buying any car should always be 'how much can you afford to lose'.

At the moment small capacity diesels that were registered from 2008 onwards are all the rage, and are the only things that are holding value - but for how much longer?

Diesels from 08 onwards are usually in tax band A or tax band B - so €225 tax at most every year!

The Government is not going to leave this situation continue for any longer than is necessary - already bands A and B were hiked by around 60% last year.

So really OP, if you want to minimise depreciation, buy something old, preferably with a large petrol engine. Such cars already go for rock bottom money so there's not a whole lot more you can lose.

Yes it will be very expensive to tax and to fuel, and servicing will be expensive too, but you only live once and you won't have any depreciation to be worrying about:)!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

So really OP, if you want to minimise depreciation, buy something old, preferably with a large petrol engine. Such cars already go for rock bottom money so there's not a whole lot more you can lose.

OP already has one - the CLS. I had to sell mine as I couldn't stomach the 120 a week I was putting in the tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I dunno, a mate sold his mint sports car and bought a diesel saloon because the cost of fuel was geting "too much" on his commute to work. He lost his h0le selling the sports as it was beautiful and everything was done with top of the line parts(he got <3k). He bought for about 8k and tax and ins are the same pretty much. So, down a mint on the sports which he loved(I fecking loved it too!), down cash on the diesel car(which I think is going to prove a moneypit on repairs in the medium term, all to save €70-80 a week on fuel. Maybe I'm missing somthing, but is this not slightly false economy? Not to mention soul destroying. Maybe taking the weekly hit on fuel would actually be far better financial sense than taking a massive upfront hit on cost to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Pottler wrote: »
    I dunno, a mate sold his mint sports car and bought a diesel saloon because the cost of fuel was geting "too much" on his commute to work. He lost his h0le selling the sports as it was beautiful and everything was done with top of the line parts(he got <3k). He bought for about 8k and tax and ins are the same pretty much. So, down a mint on the sports which he loved(I fecking loved it too!), down cash on the diesel car(which I think is going to prove a moneypit on repairs in the medium term, all to save €70-80 a week on fuel. Maybe I'm missing somthing, but is this not slightly false economy? Not to mention soul destroying. Maybe taking the weekly hit on fuel would actually be far better financial sense than taking a massive upfront hit on cost to change?

€70-€80 X 52 = €3600-€4200 per annum.

That's a lot of cash for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That does not make any sence.

You say it's in perfect condition, but you don't drive it and want to sell it. You want to change it to another big engines car. So.... What's not so easy about it? Is the car "not in such perfect condition "? Running costs on m5 and CLS won't be that different. So you just don't like it? Or os there some sentimental issue?

• Advertisement
Advertisement