Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opera firstimer advice needed

Options
  • 04-06-2012 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

hi folks. I am a music fan that would like to experence a opera and am looking for advice.
    i would like to know of a good opera production in the dublin area coming up in the next few months.
    this is my first bit of research on the topic so bear with me. the closest i came to a opera was a performance of handles masaiha in sligo cathedral about 12year ago and i remeber enjoying it.

most i am aware of are not in english and i assuming going to see one that has been translated would loose something (true false?) so do they give a summary with the program or would i be better studying the pece in advance to know whats happening in each act (is act the correct term?)

is there much stage work involved and if so does it matter the venue?

is there a dress code?

is there any opera for a begginer to avoid or seek out? i am looking for a popular choice rather than a more obscure one for now so i have the most accessable and enjoyable introduction to it.

am i overthing this and should i just run out and buy a ticket?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

i would like to know of a good opera production in the dublin area coming up in the next few months.
    Opera is scarce in Dublin these days. Go to Aida by Verdi in the Gaiety. November 14,16,17.
    most i am aware of are not in english and i assuming going to see one that has been translated would loose something (true false?) so do they give a summary with the program or would i be better studying the pece in advance to know whats happening in each act (is act the correct term?)
    False. It matters very little. Original language is nicer if you speak it. Translations are nice but certainly not essential if you dont. Program will contain a synopsis. Or google for one before you go. The net is full of them for all operas.
    is there much stage work involved and if so does it matter the venue?
    In Ireland not a lot. On both points. Staging is generally a bit minimalist (=cheap) in Ireland, but that does not necessarily mean it cannot be very enjoyable.
    is there a dress code?
    No. Wear whatever you wouldwear going out to a decent restaurant of a weekend.
    is there any opera for a begginer to avoid or seek out?
    You are in luck. Aida is a perfect one to start with.
    Tristan and Isolde by Wagner is the Grand Canal Theatre in October. A truly phenomenal opera - but maybe not as a first step.
    Or go to both and see what you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

thank you very much that was one of the best answers i have seen on boards.

i may go for Tristan and Isolde as it is a familiar story. i have heard some of Wagners works and i dont find them bad at all but am aware of him being a contraversial figure so will bear it in mind.

is there any seats to avoid in the theather its being shown in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

If the opera is in the original language, often there are "surtitles" (like subtitles, but projected ABOVE the stage). Since opera is music + drama, the drama bit loses out if you can't understand what's being sung (which can be difficult sometimes even if it's in English!).

Note Tristan & Isolde starts at 5pm, because it's rather looooong. :D

I see it's a new Irish opera company, "Wide Open Opera", doing Tristan. Quite an ambitious work to choose as their first outing. Hope it does well (though not my favourite Wagner opera).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Opera DVDs are a good way to become familiar with the genre. Those of the Metropolitan opera are usually excellent.

Booking for the Wexford Opera Fertival is now open. Black tie for this.

Wikipedia is a good source of information on histories and plots.

Advertisement