Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dive shop in Lanzarote

Options
  • 04-06-2012 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for dive shops in Lanzarote?

I can only find dive shops in Peurto del Carmen and Play Blanca on the interwebs - but i would really want to stay away from the tourist traps.

I've heard a sniff of a rumor that there is a dive shop on La Graciosa, but can't see anything on-line about them.

But anyone have any good experience of dive shops that they can share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

I did my very first dive with Aquasport (http://www.aquasport.eu.com/) in Puerta Del Carmen and completed the Scuba Diver cert with them, I found them brilliant and am now in the process of becoming an instructor here in Ireland. They are off the main street and don't use tourist tactics to get you in, they are just a couple who run an honest dive shop, they know all the best spots from being there for so long.

I couldn't recommend them enough, they are exactly what I look for in a dive shop, their main aim is to get you out diving, not put their hand in your pocket ! ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've dived with Calipso Diving in Costa Teguise and they are great.

Very simple no nonsense diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Agena

Hi, I see the post is back from June and maybe it's too late to reply but I can recommend to all of you Rubicon Diving centre in Playa Blanca. I dove with them while ago and the was really happy about that. They are really professional, good sense of humor etc. if you look at their website:
    http://www.rubicondiving.com/en/index.php you will see they cooperated with National Geographic. Send me PM if you want to find out sth more. Otherwise just go for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

I have been diving with this crowd for the past 12 years.

http://www.safaridiving.com/

Right on the beach (Playa Chica) below the old town.

Extremely professional and well run diving centre.

Get in contact with Steve and Wendy there are top notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

I used Manta Diving and found them great. Did my Rescue Diving with the old owners before they handed over to Ben and Rachael (massive jugs :D ) they are all very very friendly and would definitely recommend them to anyone that is going to Lanzarote

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Has anyone been diving in Lanzarote in November?
    I am wondering should I bring a 6mm or a 3mm wetsuit with me (adverse to rental gear:D).

Also, would Ryan Air shaft you on basic dive gear (wetsuit/fins/mask) as Sports equipment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Has anyone been diving in Lanzarote in November?
    I am wondering should I bring a 6mm or a 3mm wetsuit with me (adverse to rental gear:D).

Also, would Ryan Air shaft you on basic dive gear (wetsuit/fins/mask) as Sports equipment?

I dived there in November in a 5mm, no hood, and was very comfortable, too warm if anything.

If you put your gear in a bag and its under 15 or 20KGs, they wont.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Thanks for the info
    I am told the water will be around 20 degrees which puts it on the threshold of the 2 suits. I would prefer to bring the smaller one for weight reasons (on flight and in water) but if the water was any cooler it could be too cold. May just bring the big one but I guarantee you I will be too warm:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

I dived there in December and only wore a 5mm shortie and had no problems at all.

I can fit my mask, fins, suit, torch, booties, wing and harness into my check in luggage with all of my clothes and have it come in under the 15kg limit. I put my regs in the hand luggage to protect them

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Hi all,
    Just a quick update - we're back from Lanza.
    In the end i went for Rubicon Diving in Playa Blanca.

I found them to be very easy going, professional and competent in both in my dealings with them by email and when i went to the dive shop.

I was a bit nervous about going diving again, but had a chat with Jeff, and he filled me with confidence.
    We did the scuba review, and, although a little rusty, i think we were both impressed with how much i'd retained.

I went and booked another three days of dives and was looking forward to getting back in the water, but woke up the next morning with a stinking cold, so that was fun.

I'd totally recommend Rubicon, and plan to go back there next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 b4ss

YourName wrote: »
    I did my very first dive with Aquasport (http://www.aquasport.eu.com/) in Puerta Del Carmen and completed the Scuba Diver cert with them, I found them brilliant and am now in the process of becoming an instructor here in Ireland. They are off the main street and don't use tourist tactics to get you in, they are just a couple who run an honest dive shop, they know all the best spots from being there for so long.

I couldn't recommend them enough, they are exactly what I look for in a dive shop, their main aim is to get you out diving, not put their hand in your pocket ! ! !

Dived with this company, nice n reasonable, definitely not interested in leeching cash off you. As i hadn't dived in a few years, they we cool with re-testing skills at start of dive, compared to most who wanted 80Euro to re-test skills before diving.
    T

Thanks for the advice all. Just spent a week with Mick in Aquasport. Great holiday and great people in that dive centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

i done a few dives with safari divers in the cove there a good set up

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I have been diving with this crowd for the past 12 years.

http://www.safaridiving.com/

Right on the beach (Playa Chica) below the old town.

Extremely professional and well run diving centre.

Get in contact with Steve and Wendy there are top notch.

I did a few dives with Safari about 7 years ago and will be diving with them again next week.
    On my last visit we went out on a boat with a group of German divers who wanted to do wreck diving. I'm into wrecks so I tagged along. They proceeded to drop down, and once they made visual contact with a wreck they moved on to the next :confused:, covering three wrecks in one dive! On the shot line I still had half a tank left! The guys in Safari gave me an extra (free) dive to make up, even though I hadn't made an issue out of it.

Advertisement