Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ovens/Ballincollig caves

• 03-06-2012 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I heard that there's some caves around here, but the info on the net is scarce and outdated. The cave entrance is somewhere near the EMC. You could get in there earlier, but apparently now there's a boulder blocking the entrance. I took a walk today to perhaps check it out, but I wasn't actively looking for it and probably passed it by.

Anyone been there? Can you get in now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Best thing to do would be to ask in the bridge bar , I think I remember that they were blocked up,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

It must be over 30 years since I went inside the entrance of the caves. I only went a few feet. I've heard that they're mostly flooded and full of rubbish now. Don't know if that's true or not. I went there 2 years ago and found the area fenced off with metal fencing but if you really want to get there walk past the entrance to EMC. At the end, on the left is a gate into a church and churchyard. Take the path to the right past the graves and church. There is a field just beyond the church door. A river runs alongside it. IF the metal fence isn't there, keep to the right hand side of the field and a little before you reach the motorway is the cave entrance. Probably blocked off/overgrown at this stage. I wouldn't recommend going in. There is a map of the caves on some historical site on the net. Found it years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Class, I'm going to take a nose there someday soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 vinestro

It was probably about 30years ago but I've been down those caves lots of times and explored them fairly well.
    While they are small and tight I believe that with the right digging gear and time there is quite a network there. Reic is dead on with his description of where they are.
    They're not that visable but if you have any bother finding them I can link up with you some time and show you. I should be able to locate them ok.
    I have more info on this and will post more soon.
    Vinestro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 vinestro

I had a look at Reic's link to the blog on Ovens Caves. Good one Reic. Mind you I'm very unhappy that some eejit blocked them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Found this interesting report on the caves http://ballincollig.wordpress.com/caves/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You couldn't get as far as post #4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

dahamsta wrote: »
    You couldn't get as far as post #4?

Oops I missed that

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jonty245

Have any of you went and found the Ovens caves, I know this is an old thread ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'd be intrigued too, even some GPS co-ords of the entrance would be interesting... go there for a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PM FD

I bought the little Ovens Athonowen St. MARYS church there BY THE CAVES recently folks if you need access or anything let me know.

Pat

Advertisement