Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Work A Year in America

Options
  • 03-06-2012 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys,

I've got the chance to go to America and potentially receive a green card but I'm terrified of going away by myself.

Really want to go over there and work for a while to see if it's even somewhere I'd like to live. Always wanted to do this for the experience too. Probably going to California where I have some distant relatives, or Boston or NY where I've holidayed before.

Anyone planning to head over or anyone have any advice?

Thanks a million. :)

Note: Female, 22 years of age, from Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Moving from USA Travel to USA- Living for better answers ***

There's lots of boardsies going on the one year J1, maybe you can hook up with some.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Hi guys,

I've got the chance to go to America and potentially receive a green card but I'm terrified of going away by myself.

Really want to go over there and work for a while to see if it's even somewhere I'd like to live. Always wanted to do this for the experience too. Probably going to California where I have some distant relatives, or Boston or NY where I've holidayed before.

Anyone planning to head over or anyone have any advice?

Thanks a million. :)

Note: Female, 22 years of age, from Galway

You will be fine. The Americans are a generally friendly bunch and you will run into Irish where ever you'll go.

I'd focus on picking the area/city that you want to goto first and building a plan around that.

A year in NY myself here and loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 goo goo doll

Hi.
    I'm also planning on going it alone early 2013.

Havent 100% decided on a destination as of yet.

Went on summer J1's alone and it was the best thing I ever done as you have no choice but to make friends so definately dont let going it alone put you off!

When are you intending on travelling over?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ooly

I'm also thinking of heading over on my own. Hopefully in November.

Thinking of California.

Really worried about getting jobs to suit the graduate visa requirements!

Advertisement