Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this written correctly please?

Options
  • 03-06-2012 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Trying to write to a Gaelscoil looking for an application form. Appreciate it if someone could throw an eye over this and even rephrase if I have made a mistake. Mar tá mo Ghaeilge an-rusty!!! Many thanks.

A Chara,( ideally want to write 'To Whom it Concerns as don't know name of school secretary)

Ba mhaith liom foirm iarratais le do thoil le haghaidh m'iníon chun a ainm a chur síos chun tosnú i Scoil X sa bhliain 2014.

Go raibh maith agat.

Le Meas,

Xxxxxxxx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

"A chara" at the start is fine.

Ba mhaith liom foirm iarratais le haghaidh m'iníne le do thoil, chun a hainm a chlárú le tosú i Scoil X sa bhliain 2014.

Go raibh maith agat as ucht do chuidithe

Le meas,
    Galwaygirlee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

mr chips wrote: »

Ba mhaith liom foirm iarratais le haghaidh m'iníne le do thoil, chun a hainm a chlárú le tosú i Scoil X sa bhliain 2014.

Le meas,
    Galwaygirlee

Thank you so much Mr.Chips. Appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

mr chips wrote: »

Le meas,
    Galwaygirlee

Should it not be "i mbliain" rather than "sa bhliain"?

And "m'iníne" ... I've never seen that before? Are you sure that's right?

I'm no expert, could be totally wrong there. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... I'm no expert, could be totally wrong there. :o
    You could, and you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Hi chatterpillar,

The word "sa" is one of the ways of saying "in the" in Irish. "In the year 2014" would therefore be "sa bhliain 2014". The phrase "i mbliana" (as opposed to "i mbliain") means "this year". There are a few different ways of spelling the word for "year", so it's easy to get caught out!

The genitive case is used following a compound preposition, such as "le haghaidh" above. The genitive singular form of "iníon" is "iníne", and because it starts with a vowel the preceding word "mo" (my) is shortened to m' and combined with the word to which it refers.

The excitement never ends in my house ....

• Advertisement
Advertisement