Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Glow FLY KILLERS

Options
  • 03-06-2012 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Twice in recent times I have bought domestic fly killers - the kind that emits a blue glow to attract insects and then kill them by electrocution. This is the kind of insect killer that butchers shops have. They seem a much better idea than using polluting aerosol fly killers.
    One of these devices I bought in Woodies, the other in Lidl/Aldi.

Both of these have proved completely useless. They do not attract the flies and hence cannot kill them. Has anyone else found these devices useful?

Comments

Are you finding dead insects in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

No dead insects found. The flies don't seem to even notice the blue light that is supposed to attract them - even if I relocate the light/killer nearer to where they are flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

FWIW I've found the same thing. The professional ones in shops seem to be going pfffft all the time, but the small one I bought from a DIY shop doesn't seem to attract very much at all. The ones it does attract do get killed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I got two of these last year, this one and the tube type. They really seemed to work, I never saw them catch a fly but the numbers were down. I have not been to Homebase this year but I wonder if they can be got elsewhere. I think they were under €4.00 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

We use to buy them to put over the Pig pen's in Summer from Aldi etc. Useless, the best ones are the food grade ones that attract the insects to the blue light but once in they get stuck to a sticky board. Once full just throw away and put another sticky board on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,380 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Maybe the ones in the butcher shops have a tasty tiny piece of rotting meat sitting in the tray?

Just an idea.

Advertisement