Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thumbs up : Hanover tyres Belgard road

Options
  • 03-06-2012 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭

Had a speed wobble in the M5 for a while that I finally got addressed yesterday. Popped into the place at the square. Aside from a stupid large van parked length ways across the entrance, it was jammers.

On to Hanover tyres. I was the only customer.

First off, the chap puts a plastic cover on my seat before moving the car into the bay. You'd expect this but it's not common any more in my experience, especially in a tyre place.

Taking care to jack the car at the correct position, he then he lubes the lock nut so that the adaptor doesn't get stuck in there.

Turns out both front wheels were well off the mark (no thanks to the crowd in Sandyford ind. estate) - one had no weights whatsoever.

So, zero'd up, the then lubes the hub before the putting the wheels back on.

I'm already impressed with the hub lubing but then he proceeds to roll out a torque wrench (not a brace) after pinching the nuts with the gun.

And, he drops the car so that not all the weight is on the wheel before torqueing.

This is the only time I have ever seen anyone take as much care than I would when working on my car. Well impressed.

Fair play to the chap. It's a testament to his commitment when he's doing this day in and day out.

Thanks to Hanover tyres. Front end is superb now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Would you like your belly rubbed too...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,426 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wonder are all cars treated equally?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Would you like your belly rubbed too...:pac:

Hell yeah :p

I went into the office afterwards and commented on the work. The chap behind the counter said more or less 'thats how we roll'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,308 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Whether they are or not, its good to see them treating special cars with care. In most places the only special treatment for an m5 would be a quick tear around the back of the garage when bringing the car around to the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,426 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oh absolutely. Don't mean to sound cynical or anything. Great to see sometime going the extra mile.

• Advertisement

Indeed. I'm in north Kildare but that's where I am heading from now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

colm_mcm wrote: »

In my experience of that place they are. The boys in there are sound

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Damien360

Maybe they have changed. There are 2 in the office. The owner (older guy) and the manager, who is a genuine nice guy. But......I had to use them for tyres on my company car for a few years and it was a struggle.

I wanted Bridgestones and there was always a week delay to get them, and in the meantime you would be offered an unknown brand for silly money that you would not put on a wheelbarrow. Everywhere else could get them next day. We were not allowed use any other company at the time.

How your car was treated was very dependant on who you got.

I never saw the hub greased. I had one event of no weights on the wheel. I returned the next day and got it balanced.

When I get all 4 tyres changed, I always ask for alignment to be done. The first time, the guy took out a large stick with some sights, put it under the car and looked down the length. I stopped him at that point. In fairness, the next time for a change they used the correct equipment while the car was on the hoist. I figure the guy was new and had'nt a clue.

I have had one event of wheel nuts not torqued at all. They were not even tight. I got back to the office and had a check as I could not remember seeing it done. Lucky I did check.

The experience was enough for me to never want to return. I currently use Healy tyres in Naas.

Healys in Naas had a go at lifting my 8 series up by the wing to get their trolly jack underneath......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

E39MSport wrote: »
    Healys in Naas had a go at lifting my 8 series up by the wing to get their trolly jack underneath......

They were about to jack up my 156 on one of the rear suspension arms once until i told them to stop. They then moved to doing it on one of the side skirts. He wasnt impressed when i handed him the alfa jack

• Advertisement
Advertisement