Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arty crafty stuff

Options
  • 02-06-2012 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Do you do anything with mixed media? I've been watching some youtubes on atc's and aceo's, and it looks fab but I'm not very arty so I expect my efforts will be no more than a complete mess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Odd you should ask that, I am mad to do some mixed media stuff, but have only tried it a couple of times, I think I am not - what - relaxed enough to do mixed media, I try to be too controlling. Have you seen Mary Todd Beam's books, I love a lot of her stuff. I'd like to give it another go though.

Mod: just moved these two posts here to create a new discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I don't know Mary Todd Beam. I been watching Zorana on Youtube and these are the projects I have been drooling over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTr-OGGsF7c&feature=channel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a50idNV_LQ0&list=FLcgyX3KPnAGI6lOTkYrMDaA&feature=mh_lolz

I wouldn't know where to start! I priced Gesso recently, and haven't recovered since! :D

There are loads of alternatives to all the stuff you see on the internet, especially when you are starting. A lot of the videos are basically selling commercial products and there are other ways of doing it.

You can use white emulsion as an alternative to gesso - not perfect but good enough to get started with. You can use glossy magazines for images - home & garden and bridal mags are most useful.

I've been teaching people who are just familiarising themselves with arts and crafts so that they can pass ideas on as carers, and I make a point of using cheap and cheerful - or preferably free - products.

My suggestion is that you buy decent quality brushes, a scalpel, scissors and a cutting mat. Some PVA adhesive (does for pretty well all the obscure glues that the videos use). Then be really creative about stuff for stamping, making backgrounds, finding pictures. There is lots of stuff about the house from cling film to polyfilla, and Tesco childrens' art department is great for all sorts of bits and pieces and things like stamps and cutters.:)

I have tons of crafty stuff except good quality paints and brushes. I've tended to go to pound shops and charity shops picking up bits and bobs. Thanks for the emulsion suggestion, I'd feel better about buying that for starters. A trip to Evans's is in order I think. If I'm honest, the house can't take much much 'stuff' at this stage. :o I make cards in bursts of energy but not very often now. Must get back to it.

• Advertisement

Sounds like my place, I have a spare bedroom (no bed!) full of stuff. To such an extent that it is a complete tip and I will have to sort it out before I can do anything at all. In fairness there is a lot of sewing stuff which takes up a lot of space, but still I easily have - like you - enough arty stuff to do an awful lot of experimenting. Hopefully I will find the time to do something with it.

I have had to declare a halt on buying art stuff - except for some beads on sale here which of course I had to have - I have loads of beads already...

Never was interested in jewellery myself but I know some that are. I think we crafters are all guilty of falling into the 'must have' trap, and I too have called a halt until all I have is used up. Those products have suckered me in for too long. Maybe we will both get that creative 'rush' we need before too long.

Ah no, the beads are not for jewellery, they are for all the mixed media I plot in my head, sadly it doesn't get any further than my head!

looksee wrote: »
    Ah no, the beads are not for jewellery, they are for all the mixed media I plot in my head, sadly it doesn't get any further than my head!

Now I'm more than curious! Lots in my head too but alas life just gets in the way. Thought by this age I'd just be able to play instead of continuing to fulfil needs. That's life in 2012, Ireland! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Did you ever see the Bob Ross series of painting shows on the tv? Ever try to paint trees or mountains the way he does it?

Did you have any success?

• Advertisement
Advertisement