Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is an erasmus to America?

Options
  • 02-06-2012 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Did a quick search there but couldn't find an answer. I've heard from some people that it's 10 grand, is it seriously that expensive?

Parents have offered to pay what they can towards it next year when the time comes as a (very early) 21st birthday present, but they don't have 10 grand, and I'm unemployed so I doubt I could make half that amount in a year :(

Anyone have any info on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

I thought Erasmus was just within Europe? If international study programme to the US has a different name find out and I'm sure there has to be info online re. costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

I was thinking about doing it myself, but due to the costs involved, I couldn't. There's information available here http://international.nuim.ie/ Search around and you'll find everything. As far as I can remember, students don't have to pay tuition fees, but you do have to have 10 G's in your bank account to prove you can support yourself financially during their stay there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you need to produce a bank statement showing funds of approx. 16,000 when applying :eek:
    You'll find all the info here http://international.nuim.ie/nuim-students-abroad/study-outside-eu/how-apply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Holy crap... right, thanks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Our class had the option to study a year abroad in Europe, Asia or US, last year.

At the time we were told we just had to pay our fees as normal in Ireland.

Then travel and living expenses were the primary cost, this is what we were told by the programme organizer.

Didn't hear anything about the $16000 but that would sound about right to ensure you would survive for the year.

As linked below contacting the international office or the head of your degree programme would be your best bets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Jeez, what student has 16 grand in their bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Fbjm wrote: »
    Did a quick search there but couldn't find an answer. I've heard from some people that it's 10 grand, is it seriously that expensive?

Parents have offered to pay what they can towards it next year when the time comes as a (very early) 21st birthday present, but they don't have 10 grand, and I'm unemployed so I doubt I could make half that amount in a year :(

Anyone have any info on this?

I emailed the international office about that last year, and this is the reply I got!

"You dont actually need that amount of money. Students just need to show those funds in a bank account or a parents bank account. If this isn’t possible, you could borrow the money, lodge it into your bank account, print the statement and transfer the money back out.
    This is the most difficult aspect of the application"

So that's an option, and that's what I'm going to do if I decide to study in America. Credit Union would be your best bet because there's no penalty for paying the loan back too quick,

hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Also, if you wish to study in the US, you will need to show funds of €16,000. This is a US visa requirement, and you will not need it for Canada, Australia or other Study Abroad destinations.

Just other information in case some people were unaware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Oh, thanks! I'd actually written it off as a lost cause because I didn't know this, but I may just reconsider it now that I know this :D

Advertisement