Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO courses that can lead to a job in gaming?

Options
  • 01-06-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Hi i'm a second level student and I am going to do the Leaving Cert in June. I want to go to college next year but I have no idea what I want to do. I would like to work for a company that makes computer games some day but how would I get a job like that? what kind of course on the cao could I do that could get me a job at a computer games company in the future? does anybody here have any useful information for me? It would be very much appreciated! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Plenty of game development courses out there, just search here and use game as the query term.

Unfortunately playing games and making them are very different things and the vast majority of game/software development courses can be quite tough.
    Just make sure you know what you're getting into.

What type of work were you hoping to do? Design/Graphics/AI/Testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Thanks for that B00MSTICK :D, I didn't think of searching for games on cao at all, I just looked through courses by each college and didn't really know what would be the course for me.

Yeah I went to an open day before in UCD I think, and I was talking to a guy there that was doing a course to do with game development and he showed me around the class and he showed me what he was working on, it was mostly numbers and equations that he was doing and he said it was definitely not what he expected.

But I was thinking of doing some sort of course in design, like Product Design and Media Design.

I would like to know the aspects of design in games because I would be interested in that.

Advertisement