Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 year old home alone for long weekend?

Options
  • 01-06-2012 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've just turned 15 and my parents are going away this weekend (Saturday to Monday) to Dublin. My two younger siblings are going to my grandparents house but I really do not want to go. There will be nothing to do for me there and they have no internet access or even great TV.

I am responsible for my age and my mother agrees only she isn't sure that I'm legally allowed to stay alone for the weekend. I live five minutes from a local shop and I am surrender by close neighbours so I would be ok during an emergency. My mother said that if I can find out the legal age requirement (if there is any, because I did find out there isn't any in Britain), I can stay by myself.

I would very much appreciate it, if anyone could clear the minimum age requirement up for me. Also, I'm sure a few of you may have your opinions on the matter and I respect that but I can assure you I am extremely responsible for my age.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

There is no specified legal age where its ok for you to be home alone OP. While i'm sure this isnt a problem in the daytime for you to spend time at home on your own, were it to come to the attention of social services or Gardai (however unlikely) that you are alone for 2 days+ it would be seen as potentially neglectful and your parents would be landed in it regardless of your maturity. Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I wouldn't let a 15 year old stay at home on their own. Maybe one over night depending on how mature they are but two nights, nope not a hope.

I get it's a pain to be sent to relatives and if something to do is what is bothering you,
    honestly bring a few books to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

My advice would be to suck it up and go and stay with your grandparents. I am guessing that weekends away are few and far between for your parents, be generous and let them enjoy it without worrying if they have done the right thing by leaving you alone. Part of growing up is accepting we sometimes have to do things we dont want. You would be behaving far more maturely to go and stay with your grandparents than to insist on staying at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why not do a family tree and see how much they remember. When you're 40 you'll regret not having asked them. Get a USB modem and €20 prepay internet? Rent some box set you want to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,587 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Hi OP.

I have a 15 year old ,and she is very responsible and mature for her age-in fact, more so than her 17 year old sibling.

I would have no problem leaving her alone during the day,and she would be quite happy to stay home alone during the day-but not at night.
    No way.

Would it be possible to compromise,perhaps,and go to your grandparents in the evening/overnight and then return home for the daylight hours?

It's only one weekend out of 52- you have the next 11 weeks off school to do what you wish- your parents are only asking for 2 days of your time to spend with your grandparents.

Let us know what happens,please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I have a 15 year old and have no qualms about leaving him alone for that length of time............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Legally there is nothing in an Act or Rega to say you can't stay alone but in the event that something happened and the Gardaí were called, there is case law which exists whereby your parents could be held for neglect. As you are a child (under 18) then your parents still have a duty of care for you.
    By rights you should go to your grandparents. Whatever about spending day times on your own, night-time would be a different story. In the event that something went awry, then yes, the courts of this country could hold your parents responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

15 is perfectly legal to be left alone for at least a week. The Garda would have no interest whatsoever unless there was clear evidence that you were causing problems or unable to care for yourself wrt food, washing, drugs etc.

But Daisy M and msthe80s have really good advice above.

In the next few years you will want to be left at home, when they go away, to have buddies you want to come over and play computer games etc etc so how you behave now will have a direct influence on their decisions later. Keep that in mind :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My parents let my brother stay home for the weekend at 15. At 16 and 1 month I left home for good and lived on my own paid rent and electric and worked a 37 to 50 hour week. I'm now almost 32 and have a 12 year old. Would I leave her home alone for the weekend at 15 yes I would but I would have someone check in on her and phone her.

Each parent is different as is each teen.

At 15 I baby sat from 7pm to 3 or 4 in the morning , 3-4 nights a week.

Advertisement