Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended pistol upgrades

Options
  • 01-06-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Just wondering what people would recommend upgrading internally in a pistol.

Specifically I have a Socom Gear 1911 and while it does shoot well I feel it could be better and would like to know other peoples experience with upgrades on similar models.

Any links to where recommended parts are available would be appreciated also.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

padraig29 wrote: »
    Just wondering what people would recommend upgrading internally in a pistol.

Specifically I have a Socom Gear 1911 and while it does shoot well I feel it could be better and would like to know other peoples experience with upgrades on similar models.

Any links to where recommended parts are available would be appreciated also.

Thanks.

A tight bore barrel is a good start.

Hammer and recoil (for added kick) springs is another, make sure that your pistol does not fire over the 328fps limit if you install an upgraded hammer spring as this can happen with some pistols. This all depends on what fps your pistol fires at currently.

Hi flow valves give a boost in fps (I think never put in one personally) but I would not use this in conjunction with upgraded springs as might again put the pistol over the limit.

Gas route rubber for the magazine, this mod alone creates a bigish fps jump so again do not use this with, spring upgrades or high flow valves just in case.

If you have a chrono all the better a you can then ensure that your pistol will not fire over the legal limit. SOCOM GEAR/WE are pretty much tokyo marui compatible so have a look on ehobbyasia or redwolf for pistol upgrades

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

With all upgrades you need to keep your goals clear. For this you are looking at improving its shooting, but in what way? Are you unhappy with its gas capacity, its accuracy, its range, consistency? All of the above?

For consistency you are looking at magazine gas router buckings - you can shim your current ones, or replace them for aftermarket ones with less obstructions. This will improve your gas efficiency, greatly benefiting shot to shot consistency. You can also modify your existing magazines by removing excess filler tube which allows for more room in the mag for the gas, as well as improving the overall seal.

Range and accuracy come down to your barrel and hop up combination. A good tightbore barrel and soft hop up rubber will yield far superior results. Use a soft hop up rubber (TM original, or Firefly extra soft), and a 6.01 - 6.03 tight bore barrel. The tighter barrels (6.02 & 6.01) work better at smaller lengths than the slightly wider-bore (6.03 & 6.04), and work especially better for GBB as the pressure builds up behind the BB for longer.

Changing springs allow for stronger recoil and faster shooting (which lessens gas efficiency), or weak recoil and slower shooting (improving gas efficiency). You can also change springs to lessen the power, so if your gun is firing over 1 joule after the upgrades, you can swap out for a weaker hammer spring, which doesn't open the valve as much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 padraig29

Thanks guys appreciate the recommendations.

Gives me lots to works on :)

Advertisement