Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Modems on a Mac

Options
  • 01-06-2012 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

I currently use an elderly Netopia (wireless disabled) with a Time Capsule for eircom NGB which I believe is ADSL2+ .
    Their protocol is PPPoE LLC/SNAP
    Their supplied Zyxel is back in it's box.
    I was rather keen on getting myself a suitable standalone modem and I settled on a Draytek Vigor 120.
    it seemed to have a good track record with Airport Extreme/Time Capsule.
    I have to admit I'm one of those who didn't find the setup "simple"- passwords and conflicting GUI addresses my main initial heartache .
    I finally got my basic configuration sorted (I use OpenDNS to add to the joy).

My initial settings on Airport Utility included
    Internet "Connect using DHCP".
    Network, Router Mode "Off(Bridge Mode)" - I like to see the the GUI of the Netopia.

I changed the Connect Using to "PPPoE"
    I accepted what came up on Network.
    Then connected the modem to the Time Capsule

Following a long series of rebootings of modem, Mac and Time Capsule I finally got an Internet connection on my Mac, on a remote Windows XP laptop and on an iPod Touch, the latter I find a good indication of connection quality.

On testing my Apple TV to which I am hopelessly addicted, I had a problem. Just two icons appeared, computers and settings. Went through the usual Restart, Reset, reconfigure, it transpired that I had a Network problem. "Network Time not set (Reachable)".
    I could join my wireless network but could not connect to the Internet

On returning to my Desktop to find anything adjustable in the modem, Airport utility and the System Preferences (Network) I couldn't find anything I could tweak.
    By the way, during this experience, I often found that the information on the Network icon in System Preferences often at odds with the information on Airport Utility.
    At this stage the Draytek joined the Zyxel in the "Back on it's box" category, which was disappointing, but nothing compared to the delight of everything
    snapping back in it's place , fully functional, on reconnecting my old Netopia.

To anybody who has taken the time to read all this, I thank you.
    To anybody with a suggestion, I would be especially grateful.
    For what it's worth, I think that the settings of my Airport Utility may be the answer.
    The password I had for "Advanced Configuration" in the Draytek doesn't work, maybe just as well!.
    iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I think this is best suited to apple devices as the problem is with apple TV so I moved it there for you. Try setting a static IP on the apple TV see if it helps

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Yeah there was issues with the Zyxel router and apple tv, but a firmware upgrade fixed it as far as i am aware... Maybe try upgrade the firmware on your Draytek and see if it works. I had the same problem with the Zyxel and so just went back to the netopia router before i switched to upc....

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Thank you.

it seems to be a well trodden road Netopia ___ Zyxel
    Netopia again.....your last port of call is not an option here.
    My Draytek is up to date.
    In fact the apple tv worked OK on my Zyxel, it was it's constant need to be rebooted to get up to speed that brassed me off.
    It would appear that the newer modem/routers are a bit too "advanced" for their own good, making what used to be a fairly easy job, setting one up, a bit of a lottery.

I think the problem manifested itself on Apple TV.
    I have a feeling that the fault lay elsewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement