Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland Student Current Account

Options
  • 01-06-2012 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

I suppose this is a message really, for the BOI Staff, but ill gladly listen to some BOI members aswell.

Basically, Im returning to college and need a student bank account.

I have asked this question before in other threads, like , who is the best to bank with, but i got so many variant responses, one says they hate BOI but love (other bank name here) and swears by them, and then another says they love BOI and wouldn't touch (other bank names here) the answers and results are SO erratic its hard to make a good assessment.

Specifically to the BOI Reps: What makes BOI Different, from any other banks, and what can you offer that other banks don't? - why should i choose you to save/access my hard earnt cash with?
    Is BOI safe, in the current economic climate? - i know one bank ( leave it up to you to guess) that i would probably stay away from, as they are basically run by the government... is this the same with BOI, what is the ownership structure of BOI.

To anyone: Why did you choose to bank with BOI, as in, what stirred you towards BOI, rather than other banks? - what benefits, do you enjoy?

I am looking for a bank, that i can be with/trust for life... and have a financial aid to me, when i am in a time of need, that is why i want to start of as early as i can, with a bank, and get to know them - do BOI, provide a personable presence, and a good friendly face to talk with about your finances

Could i go in, and start planning for my future, like setup a savings account with BOI, to plan for ( Wedding, Car, Mortgage, etc)

Do BOI Reward for loyalty, good financial operation of your account/s? - or is it just another " Bank Account "
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi RobertHopkins,

Thanks for your question. Regarding other banks, I wouldn't be aware of what their offers are but if you would like more information on Bank of Ireland's student products click here or on general personal products please click here.
    Could i go in, and start planning for my future, like setup a savings account with BOI, to plan for ( Wedding, Car, Mortgage, etc)

Your local BOI branch will be happy to make an appointment for you at anytime and you can speak to one of our financial advisors to plan your future and discuss other financial needs. You can find your nearest branch here along with branch opening times and contact numbers.
    Do BOI Reward for loyalty, good financial operation of your account/s? - or is it just another " Bank Account "

Bank of Ireland does reward its customers with various competitions and offers which customers are notified of from time-to-time. We also take customer feedback onboard and are constantly trying to improve our products and services.

I hope this helps and if you need anything further please don't hesitate to ask.
    Have a good weekend.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Hi RobertHopkins,

Thanks for your question. Regarding other banks, I wouldn't be aware of what their offers are but if you would like more information on Bank of Ireland's student products click here or on general personal products please click here.

Your local BOI branch will be happy to make an appointment for you at anytime and you can speak to one of our financial advisors to plan your future and discuss other financial needs. You can find your nearest branch here along with branch opening times and contact numbers.

Bank of Ireland does reward its customers with various competitions and offers which customers are notified of from time-to-time. We also take customer feedback onboard and are constantly trying to improve our products and services.

I hope this helps and if you need anything further please don't hesitate to ask.
    Have a good weekend.
    Thanks
    Linda

Hi Linda,

Many thanks for getting back to my " long winded " question :D

I suppose id have to get an unbiased opinion on what other banks offer compared to BOI - i am leaning favorably toward BOI though, as it seems to be the best " all rounder ".

Did i hear somewhere, that student accounts opened, are entitled to 15,000 free flights or something, is there any catch to that?

as for my question:
    Is BOI safe, in the current economic climate? - i know one bank ( leave it up to you to guess) that i would probably stay away from, as they are basically run by the government... is this the same with BOI, what is the ownership structure of BOI.

Basically, im asking, what would secure my decision in switching to BOI, over anyone else..

Hi RobertHopkins,

I will have to look into the student offer and your other question. I'll get back to you after the weekend.

Enjoy the bank holiday.
    Thanks
    Linda

Hi RobertHopkins,

I will have to look into the student offer and your other question. I'll get back to you after the weekend.

Enjoy the bank holiday.
    Thanks
    Linda

Cheers - you to..

:cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

To anyone: Why did you choose to bank with BOI, as in, what stirred you towards BOI, rather than other banks? - what benefits, do you enjoy?

To be honest, dad and sister are both staff. But in terms of trustworthiness, consider that of all the major banks in Ireland (except HBOS), BoI has the lowest State ownership (if I'm not mistaken, and I'm quite sure I'm not, but well could be). But I wouldn't worry about a bank going broke and losing your money. It's legally guaranteed by the State.

Student rate are better than, say Permanent TSB (where I also have an account). PTSB charge you for lots of things, even on a student account, that BoI don't. Examples:
    • Debit card annual duty
    • Clearance of a non-domestic eurozone cheque (I don't know if this is because it's a student account or of BoI don't charge anyone for this. In any case PTSB do and its not small: its like 8€ or something. I learned that the hard way.)
    • Debit card transaction fee (BoI might have changed with Visa Debit)

I'm not bashing PTSB, I'm just using it as an example because I've paid all the above charges on a PTSB student account, while BoI have never charged me for the same.

The only reason I opened the PTSB account at the time was for the Visa Debit card. Now that BoI have finally given me one (one that's better, since it has contactless), I plan to close the other as soon as possible.

My only complaint is slow modernisation. But it applies to all banks in Ireland. The time it took them to start making apps for smartphones compared to foreign banks, the transaction details online being limited in number of characters they display (is this still the 90s?), the inability to receive only electronic statements, once they issue a printed statement they delete the record off online banking (as if the few kilobytes needed for a year's worth of transactions would cripple them) etc. But as I said, that complaint applies equally to all Irish banks, to some extent or another

• Advertisement

To be honest, dad and sister are both staff. But in terms of trustworthiness, consider that of all the major banks in Ireland (except HBOS), BoI has the lowest State ownership (if I'm not mistaken, and I'm quite sure I'm not, but well could be). But I wouldn't worry about a bank going broke and losing your money. It's legally guaranteed by the State.

Student rate are better than, say Permanent TSB (where I also have an account). PTSB charge you for lots of things, even on a student account, that BoI don't. Examples:
    • Debit card annual duty
    • Clearance of a non-domestic eurozone cheque (I don't know if this is because it's a student account or of BoI don't charge anyone for this. In any case PTSB do and its not small: its like 8€ or something. I learned that the hard way.)
    • Debit card transaction fee (BoI might have changed with Visa Debit)

I'm not bashing PTSB, I'm just using it as an example because I've paid all the above charges on a PTSB student account, while BoI have never charged me for the same.

The only reason I opened the PTSB account at the time was for the Visa Debit card. Now that BoI have finally given me one (one that's better, since it has contactless), I plan to close the other as soon as possible.

My only complaint is slow modernisation. But it applies to all banks in Ireland. The time it took them to start making apps for smartphones compared to foreign banks, the transaction details online being limited in number of characters they display (is this still the 90s?), the inability to receive only electronic statements, once they issue a printed statement they delete the record off online banking (as if the few kilobytes needed for a year's worth of transactions would cripple them) etc. But as I said, that complaint applies equally to all Irish banks, to some extent or another

Cheers for the response! :D

Yeah - i think i have to agree with you on your points etc.

@BOI Linda - any update?

Hi Robert,

I do apologise, I will get back to you regarding the information once I get it.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi Robert,

I do apologise, I will get back to you regarding the information once I get it.

Thanks
    Linda

No Problem - Cheers :D

Hi Robert,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
    Did i hear somewhere, that student accounts opened, are entitled to 15,000 free flights or something, is there any catch to that?

The offer you are referring to is a Travel Campaign in which any 3rd level student who opens or holds a BOI 3rd level account and takes out a student credit card or travel loan will receive a free return flight to Europe. This offer is available until the 30th of June 2012.

If I hear of any other offers I will let you know asap.

Also Bank of Ireland also has a new student community website called Smartlounge. On the site, students across Ireland can find special perks, discounted offers and exclusive video and written content about a range of topics including travel, careers and where to go out in your local area.
    Is BOI safe, in the current economic climate?

When answering a question like this, it is important to look at the independent facts and market behaviours:
    1. It is the only independent Irish bank, attracting private investment to remain 85% privately owned, with the government choosing to maintain the remaining 15%.
    2. It has 15.1% capital in place, making it one of the highest capitalised banks in Europe, to ensure against any future losses. This is against an international average of closer to 10%.
    3. It continues to be the destination of choice of Irish consumers, with over one million savers.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
    Thanks
    Linda

Morning Linda,

Many thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated!
    The offer you are referring to is a Travel Campaign in which any 3rd level student who opens or holds a BOI 3rd level account and takes out a student credit card or travel loan will receive a free return flight to Europe. This offer is available until the 30th of June 2012.

So, to clarify, i have to take out a Loan and or a Credit Card to avail of it?
    Am i right in saying that i have to me a member of the bank for 6 months before i can avail of a Loan OR Credit Card? or am i mistaken?

So the 30th of June Deadline, isn't much help to me :D

I thought it was a permanent offer, that is available all year round, with no T/Cs , just open an account?
    When answering a question like this, it is important to look at the independent facts and market behaviours:
    1. It is the only independent Irish bank, attracting private investment to remain 85% privately owned, with the government choosing to maintain the remaining 15%.
    2. It has 15.1% capital in place, making it one of the highest capitalised banks in Europe, to ensure against any future losses. This is against an international average of closer to 10%.
    3. It continues to be the destination of choice of Irish consumers, with over one million savers.

Thanks for answering that one, and clearing some questions i had.

I have made my decision, and have decided to go with BOI for my choice of bank - here's to many years of continued loyalty :D

I will definitely be going in to talk with a Financial Planner ( or whatever there called ) to discuss how i can setup myself for the " Future " i am a planner, and like to be organized ;)

one more question though, if i may? ( Sorry )

When could i open the Student Account? - Considering i actually wont be a Student until September?, but it might be a good idea to open early right? - as most products, such as a Credit Card, Overdraft, Loans etc. all require six months of activity, right?

Robert

• Advertisement

Hi Robert,
    So, to clarify, i have to take out a Loan and or a Credit Card to avail of it?

At the moment those are the terms of the offer for the Travel Campaign. Another offer will be running from July 1st until the end of October, which you only have to open or switch to a 3rd level student current account with the Bank of Ireland and use it 10 times to avail of a free return flight from Europe.
    When could i open the Student Account? - Considering i actually wont be a Student until September?/QUOTE]

If you have your approval letter from the college you can apply for the student current account straight away, just call into your branch with a copy of the letter. You will also need proof of identification.
    but it might be a good idea to open early right? - as most products, such as a Credit Card, Overdraft, Loans etc. all require six months of activity, right?

Regarding opening any account, you will have a Bank of Ireland current account but do no have to be with us for 6 months. You will need to provide 6 months statements from another financial institution. Your approval does depend on your circumstances and is done on a case by case basis.

I hope this helps and best of luck in college.
    Thanks
    Linda

Hi Robert,

At the moment those are the terms of the offer for the Travel Campaign. Another offer will be running from July 1st until the end of October, which you only have to open or switch to a 3rd level student current account with the Bank of Ireland and use it 10 times to avail of a free return flight from Europe.
    When could i open the Student Account? - Considering i actually wont be a Student until September?/QUOTE]

If you have your approval letter from the college you can apply for the student current account straight away, just call into your branch with a copy of the letter. You will also need proof of identification.

Regarding opening any account, you will have a Bank of Ireland current account but do no have to be with us for 6 months. You will need to provide 6 months statements from another financial institution. Your approval does depend on your circumstances and is done on a case by case basis.

I hope this helps and best of luck in college.
    Thanks
    Linda

Thanks alot Linda, for getting back to me.

You have answered all my questions! :D

Cheers thanks alot! ;)

Hi Robert,

I am glad we could help.
    Best of luck in college come September.

Thank you
    Linda

Hi Robert,

I am glad we could help.
    Best of luck in college come September.

Thank you
    Linda

Cheers Linda! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭dragon5678

Hey Robert

Thought I'd jump in here and add something

Check what the bank on your campus is, like UCC's bank is Bank Of Ireland, UCD's bank is AIB etc. If Bank Of Ireland is your college's campus bank, then straight after registration, you can open an account there as youll have your student card :)

dragon5678 wrote: »
    Hey Robert

Thought I'd jump in here and add something

Check what the bank on your campus is, like UCC's bank is Bank Of Ireland, UCD's bank is AIB etc. If Bank Of Ireland is your college's campus bank, then straight after registration, you can open an account there as youll have your student card :)

Hey Dragon5678,

Thanks for the response! :)

yeah, i figured as much - for DIT ( College im going to ) its BOI so, that is why i had asked it in here :)

Going to go with them, hopefully my transition is as smooth as possible, and hopefully it lives up to my expectations :)

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭dragon5678

Hey Dragon5678,

Thanks for the response! :)

yeah, i figured as much - for DIT ( College im going to ) its BOI so, that is why i had asked it in here :)

Going to go with them, hopefully my transition is as smooth as possible, and hopefully it lives up to my expectations :)

Rob

Cool. I wish u all the best of luck with your studies and hope Bank Of Ireland will be as good to u as they have been to me for the oast week or so :)

dragon5678 wrote: »
    Cool. I wish u all the best of luck with your studies and hope Bank Of Ireland will be as good to u as they have been to me for the oast week or so :)

Haha just seeing this now - CHEERS! :D

Advertisement