Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeview From Brougher Mountain

Options
  • 01-06-2012 6:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I am wondering how far south has anyone been successful in receiving Freeview from Brougher Mountain.

Im living in North Offaly and have heard reports of some people having success in Athlone recently picking it up. As the crow flies, if anything that would be further again in relation to where I am from that transmitter.

I would presume I would need a Group A Aerial, Masthead Amp and Power Unit to even stand a chance. Yet from what I understand, Brougher Mountain will go "Full Power" after the NI DSO in October which makes me very optimistic to be able receive it this far south.

Long story short, I don't want to splash out for all the equipment needed if it won't work. Has anyone had any luck this far south or know of anyone who has?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

I don't see the point in this, surely the easiest solution is Freesat? Why bother with huge aerials, when freesat gives much better pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭willyb007

I don't see the point in this, surely the easiest solution is Freesat? Why bother with huge aerials, when freesat gives much better pictures?

Im an enthusiast. I have FTA on Astra 28 E and Hotbird 13 E already. Besides the channels on Freeview are better than Freesat. Dave, Challenge, Pick Tv etc None of which are on Freesat.

Sorry I should have mentioned that in my opening post BTW :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jpsr

A friend of mine here in mullingar is picking them up,
    He lives in ballinderry, which is on a hill, he gets dave, pick tv and a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

AFAIK the Com multiplexes will not be on as high power after DSO as PSB ones from Brougher Mountain due to possible co-channel with Divis.

• Advertisement

jpsr wrote: »
    A friend of mine here in mullingar is picking them up,
    He lives in ballinderry, which is on a hill, he gets dave, pick tv and a lot more.

Thanks JPSR, That is only 18 - 20 Miles from me in a north east direction. Would you know if he is powering his aerial with a mast-head amp and power unit to receive it there, or is it just an un-powered A group aerial on the roof? Certainly Bides well for me especially if hes using it unpowered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

willyb007 wrote: »
    Would you know if he is powering his aerial with a mast-head amp and power unit . . .

What do you mean 'powering the aerial'? A masthead amplifier only does what you would expect from its name, amplifying the signal it is presented with by the aerial. It won't magically increase the aerial gain or improve a poor quality signal.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    What do you mean 'powering the aerial'? A masthead amplifier only does what you would expect from its name, amplifying the signal it is presented with by the aerial. It won't magically increase the aerial gain or improve a poor quality signal.

Thats exactly what i meant, I thought people would have understood what i meant by that. It may be wrong terminology, But i have a habit of calling it 'powered' as its always used in conjunction with a 'power' unit. I installed one in my own house for saorview quite successfully.

My reasoning behing asking JPSR if his friend was using a Masthead Amp and Power unit was that if he was not it indicates good enough signal and maybe just maybe if I use a Masthead Amp and Power Unit here, It will pull in that same signal to the same levels as JPSR's friend is getting them in Mullingar not to far from me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Fair enough, it's just that there's an instructional video on a well known site that sells this stuff & it speaks of 'passing a 12v signal to a UHF aerial' so it will 'pull in far more signal than a simple unpowered aerial'. Thought it may have led a few people astray . . .

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Fair enough, it's just that there's an instructional video on a well known site that sells this stuff & it speaks of 'passing a 12v signal to a UHF aerial' so it will 'pull in far more signal than a simple unpowered aerial'. Thought it may have led a few people astray . . .

Yes that sounds familiar to me and i may have seen this video before. Peter, What would you reckon the chances are receiving it with a grouped aerial and amp would be considering north to south as the crow flies, Mullingar is maybe 10 miles further north than me. (20 miles by road tho maybe) There are no real Mountains or hills between here and there either and its established that its receivable in both Athlone to the West of me and Mullingar to the East?

Pity my current Aerial is a wideband one in the loft i am using it with the amp for saorview. (Tho subsequently I now know i dont need the amp in my location for saorview). I am getting good signal from Carrin Hill or a relay at least! So i cant really test for Freeview here without the grouped aerial.

• Advertisement
Advertisement