Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny "Ken Flo" Florian Retires

Options
  • 01-06-2012 3:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭

Kenny Florian has officially retired from MMA.

The UFC veteran, who hasn't competed since an October title loss to featherweight champion Jose Aldo, made the decision official at today's weigh-ins for The Ultimate Fighter Finale.

The 36-year-old now will focus on his current UFC broadcasting career, which includes live UFC cable-TV broadcasts and the weekly "UFC Tonight" program on FUEL TV.

"Fighting found me, and I'm a much better person because of it," said Florian, who said recent injuries contributed to his decision to retire.

Florian (14-6 MMA, 12-5 UFC) first debuted with the UFC in 2005, when he was a middleweight runner-up on the groundbreaking first season "The Ultimate Fighter." In fact, UFC president Dana White first discovered "Ken-Flo" when he saw him during a 2005 scouting trip for Drew Fickett, who ultimately defeated Florian via close split decision in a regional show. White, though, was impressed and offered Florian a spot on the show, anyway. Despite his small size for the division, Florian made it to the tournament's finals, where he ultimately lost to Diego Sanchez.

Florian, who spent most of his career in the lightweight division, ultimately competed in four different weight classes during his 17-fight UFC career. His final two came in the featherweight division, where he admitted to grueling weight cuts to make the 145-pound limit for a final but unsuccessful title run.

From 2005 to 2010, Florian went 11-2 with 10 stoppages. The only losses came to Sean Sherk and B.J. Penn, the first two of his three eventual title fights. However, he posted wins over the likes of Clay Guida, Takanori Gomi, Joe Lauzon and Sam Stout, among others, during non-title bouts.

The Massachusetts native and former Boston College soccer player remained a fan favorite throughout his career, and he has been a go-to ambassador for many UFC ventures.

For now, though, one of the UFC's most likable personalities is hanging up his gloves and retiring to the broadcast booth with partner Jon Anik.

"I'm so thankful I'm able to do commentary and shows like 'UFC Tonight' here for the UFC, FUEL and FOX," Florian said.

Source

Really sad to see Kenny retire. He's always been an exciting guy and a really solid fighter. he just seemed to choke when he got his title shots and couldn't take that extra step.

Good luck to Ken Flo!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Would love to see him take over from Goldberg

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

A smart man, a clever fighter, and a respectful guy who did it his own way. I always enjoyed watching his fights. Always fell just short of the mark but gave it his all. Looks like he'll have a good career ahead of him now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Always fell just short of the mark but gave it his all. Looks like he'll have a good career ahead of him now though.

I feel for Kenny in this regard. Worked his ass off to get title shots, fell short but always made the necessary improvements to his game afterwards.

Shame for him that the champions he came up against got progressively more talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

A shame to see him retiring, I always enjoyed watching him fight. He seems like a gentleman and a great ambassador for the sport. He's a brilliant commentator and I wish him the best in the rest of his career.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I feel for Kenny in this regard. Worked his ass off to get title shots, fell short but always made the necessary improvements to his game afterwards.

Shame for him that the champions he came up against got progressively more talented.

What the one fight at featherweight to get a shot at Aldo.

Another Dana White business decision, other guys in the division must have been ill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Cool guy.

He's a good commentator, I enjoy listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jayteecork wrote: »
    What the one fight at featherweight to get a shot at Aldo.

Another Dana White business decision, other guys in the division must have been ill.
    Are you suggesting that his fights at LW don't count towards his ability as a fighter. LMFAO

Mellor wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that his fights at LW don't count towards his ability as a fighter. LMFAO

Are you having a laugh?

How can someone lose a lightweight title eliminator, drop down, have one fight and get a shot?

It's taking the piss out of everyone in the featherweight division.

Dana White "Hey this kid Ken Flo is popular, he's not good enough in LW though, let's tell him to drop down to FW and we'll give him a shot cause he'll sell PPV"

He's a good commentator and he seems like a good guy but no way did he deserve an insta-title shot in the FW division.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Are you having a laugh?

How can someone lose a lightweight title eliminator, drop down, have one fight and get a shot?

It's taking the piss out of everyone in the featherweight division.

Dana White "Hey this kid Ken Flo is popular, he's not good enough in LW though, let's tell him to drop down to FW and we'll give him a shot cause he'll sell PPV"

He's a good commentator and he seems like a good guy but no way did he deserve an insta-title shot in the FW division.

Well, it wasn't just as simple as that. There were many factors contributing to Florian getting that title shot.

- The FW was very young and in need of a big name title contender.

- There was a serious lack of contenders at the time. Hioki was still in Japan. He'd CONVINCINGLY beaten the likes of Gamburyan, Hominick, Faber. Mike Brown was on the slide. Mendez was still on the rise. Nobody had heard of Poirier, Korean Zombie was coming off 2 losses........ the only viable guys really were Florian and Diego Nunes.

- Kenny had proven himself to be a top guy in the LW Division. For me, there's no reason why he can't go straight into the FW Division against a top contender and put himself up there!

Example: The last title shot went to Chad Mendes. Good fighter of course. He'd beaten some solid guys in the FW division. Yaha, Omigawa, Swanson etc.

Florian held wins over Gomi, Guida, Joe Daddy, Lauzon, Huerta etc. Those wins hold more weight than Mendes' IMO!

Also it was good business :pac:

Thanking Stuffins before dean09 and bottle(whatever) get in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

:rolleyes:

Don't be so precious. If you disagree, do so. Nobody is out to get you.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Don't be so precious. If you disagree, do so. Nobody is out to get you.

They're probably at the Turkish baths right now I suppose they'll be on later!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Good man. Making a great contribution to the forum again I see. Stop being so childish just because someone doesn't agree with you.
    I'm refusing to be drawn into an argument with you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Take the rest of the week off, and here's a fair warning to you ~ next ban will be for one month, third (if that happens) will be permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are you having a laugh?

As I said, his ranking/ability/etc are based on far more than that single fight at FW. There's no point discussing anything if you just ignore the point.
    The FW divisions was was spread pretty thin at the time. Even now, there's only a few guys near the top. I had no problem with Florian getting a title shot, and I think he gave Aldo a better run than most would have.

Advertisement