Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA in USA

Options
  • 01-06-2012 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering has anyone here done an MA in the US... how much does it cost?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Finishing a 2-year MFA (not MA) across the pond. You could complete an MA full-time in a year, especially if you test-out and don't do a thesis.

This is a very complex question with a complex answer. Tuition, fees, room & board, books, etc., vary across public and private universities in the States for MA (Master of Arts) degree programmes.

The eligibility, availability, and dollar amounts (or tuition discounts or stipends) for scholarships, grants, RA (Research Assistantships), TA (Teaching Assistantships), cooperative education, and internships also vary.

If you live off-campus, the cost of living index varies from urban to rural, city to city, county to county, and state to state.

Your lifestyle preferences also factor into the cost; e.g., live alone or with roommates, reside in a war zone or in a safe neighborhood, own/lease a car or use public transit, be a study geek or a party animal, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Niamhf wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Just wondering has anyone here done an MA in the US... how much does it cost?

As said above - it's too big a question.
    Probably more than in Ireland in any case, but not necessarily if you end up with funding or on a funded MA/PhD track.
    For anyone to reasonably help you, you would need to tell us a lot more about you - what you want to do, where you want to go, can you pay tuition, how good are you and your CV, do you contacts, strong references etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

Think about what it would cost in Ireland and probably at least double it. I just finished a BFA in the US (I'm American), tuition was $40,000/year. It'll probably be pretty similar for a master's, depending on the type of school. I went to a very good private college (Carnegie Mellon University); some public colleges might be cheaper, although for non-residents they may be just as expensive. If you can get a TA job or some sort of stipend you might be able to bring that down, and obviously there is financial aid available if you qualify.

And keep in mind that that $40,000 was just tuition. I had to pay for food, an apartment, utilities, etc. That varies wildly; NYC is wicked expensive, middle of nowhere Nebraska is probably pretty cheap. Then again, you really don't want to be in middle of nowhere Nebraska, so you'll probably be paying another $500 or so a month for rent.

Most masters programs in the US that I know of are two years, but it is possible to find one year programs as well.

-Tyler

Advertisement