Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloc Party - Four (Album Trailer)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

First single from Four, Octopus.

I think this song is hard to put into a box, well done guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Poor methinks; the chorus is pretty much non-existent and don't get me started on Kele's newfound frontman moves. The second top-rated comment nails it for me.

Loving this, so interesting. It clicked after the second listen.

Stompbox wrote: »
    Poor methinks; the chorus is pretty much non-existent and don't get me started on Kele's newfound frontman moves. The second top-rated comment nails it for me.

Second top rated comment is a comment about the albums released today?

It must have changed in the last few hours. The comment I was referring to read: 'Nice song. They've lost it though.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

flyswatter wrote: »
    [First single from Four, Octopus.

I think this song is hard to put into a box, well done guys!

Sounds great after the 1st listen. Looking forward to the album release.
    Man i fvcking love Bloc Party...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

I like this. Yes I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mogwaiii

Definitely looking forward to this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

trop trendy pour moi

How can music be 'too trendy' for you? You either like it or you don't, trendiness shouldn't be a factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Octopus is ok, nothing more I don't think. Don't really like Kele's singing for the first half of it. Hopefully the album bodes a bit better.

The album definitely needs a few more listens, currently totally unsure about it.

Possibly a few songs I'm really not too fond of. I've taken a bit of a dislike to We Are Not Good People.

There's a serious dose of Stoner Rock/Metal influence on parts of the record (think QOTSA) which I didn't expect.

Songs I like from it are V.A.L.I.S, Day Four and Octopus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

It's a pretty poor effort unfortunately.

About 4/5 songs out of 12 that are decent or good does not make for a proper album.

V.A.L.I.S. is very good. Truth and Day Four are good, Real Talk is decent.

The rest ranges from filler to aboslute rubbish.

Disappointed because I was really excited when I heard they were back.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What a dull and boring album, nearly dozed off halfway through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

surprised by the reaction here, it received good reviews

personally i think there are lot less great albums being made these days, just a lot of albums with some great songs on them - maybe it's the age we live in where most listeners just cherrypick a few songs and stick them on their ipod, are bands getting lazy?

it's been a while since i've listened to and enjoyed a new album the whole way through - i had placed my hopes in this one but you guys have burst that balloon - thanks a lot :(

donfers wrote: »

personally i think there are lot less great albums being made these days, just a lot of albums with some great songs on them - maybe it's the age we live in where most listeners just cherrypick a few songs and stick them on their ipod, are bands getting lazy?

it's been a while since i've listened to and enjoyed a new album the whole way through - i had placed my hopes in this one but you guys have burst that balloon - thanks a lot :(

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16944-four/

Not such a good review

donfers wrote: »

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16944-four/

Not such a good review
    Pitchforks review is the exception rather than the rule, it has been getting predominantly positive reviews. Bear in mind, Pitchfork gave Beach Houses latest a 9.1 review. That's a dull album where a lot of the songs just blend into one another. I'll say no more.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Pitchforks review is the exception rather than the rule, it has been getting predominantly positive reviews. Bear in mind, Pitchfork gave Beach Houses latest a 9.1 review. That's a dull album where a lot of the songs just blend into one another. I'll say no more.

Thought it was a great album. Think that description might suit this album. There is a lot of grunge type sounds on this album, heavy on guitar, but with little in terms of varied Melody. A lot of the verses seem drawn out and forced, and then you have that part of Kettling (think it was Kettling) where he does that bit singing 'Pain is etc' which sounds like the product of a few guys messing around and wouldn't feature in a song that I'd take anywhere seriously.

There was 3 songs that could have closed out the album, and while they wouldn't have been as good as the transition from Compliments to Every Time is The Last Time or SRXT and Ion Square, they would have been fitting and worked well. Instead they chose a really average song that is the anti-climax that sums up the album perfectly.

In my opinion, the positive reception is on account of good P.R. in that they've come back against expectation and they did it piece by piece with initial hints before they announced their return and started to build a campaign around the album.

I'm a massive Bloc Party fan, and I was really looking forward to it. Just felt it offered little, unfortunately.

Thought it was a great album. Think that description might suit this album. There is a lot of grunge type sounds on this album, heavy on guitar, but with little in terms of varied Melody. A lot of the verses seem drawn out and forced, and then you have that part of Kettling (think it was Kettling) where he does that bit singing 'Pain is etc' which sounds like the product of a few guys messing around and wouldn't feature in a song that I'd take anywhere seriously.

There was 3 songs that could have closed out the album, and while they wouldn't have been as good as the transition from Compliments to Every Time is The Last Time or SRXT and Ion Square, they would have been fitting and worked well. Instead they chose a really average song that is the anti-climax that sums up the album perfectly.

In my opinion, the positive reception is on account of good P.R. in that they've come back against expectation and they did it piece by piece with initial hints before they announced their return and started to build a campaign around the album.

I'm a massive Bloc Party fan, and I was really looking forward to it. Just felt it offered little, unfortunately.

Thing about the Bloc Party album in comparison to Beach House is at least they vary things and it ain't completely samey, anyway don't know why I'm comparing those bands, it's a bit off topic.

Don't agree with the PR thing, good PR isn't going to convince critics to write you a good review if the music is poor.

For me, the album has one too many average tracks for it to really satisfy me and it's the first time I've really been disappointed by the band but clearly a lot of people are digging it.

It's a step down from Intimacy which is almost their best work (Still bemused why a lot aren't taken with it to this day)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

It's taken me a long time to warm to this album, first listen thought it was brutal but V.A.L.I.S, Day Four, Octopus, Coliseum and Team A, I all like if not for completely different reasons.

I think the album is very varied, and the tracks don't seem to flow well into each other but it's still a decent album...

• Advertisement

They're playing the Olympia 12 February next year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

It's my least favourite of the albums. I wouldn't call it 'varied' so much as inconsistent and kinda confused. I've been a huge fan for ages now, it's upsetting cause there's some great songs, but there's definitely filler on this album that offers nothing at all and it drags the whole album down.

Advertisement