Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting too long for an operation

Options
  • 31-05-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a friend who is on crutches for last couple of years. Has couple of operations and non of them successful. My friend's life is miserable. Was on top of the list for another operation this year but due to all new changes dropped off the list. She has some metal attached to her bone but it's there too long and skin on her leg already changed colour. She's now bit feckless and depressed and on her behalf I am trying to find some info if there is any way to speed the whole process up. What do you reckon? What we can do?
    I forgot to mention that my friend is a senior citizen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Is she willing to involve you in her care so that you can speak to her doctors ? You could then quiz them on the issues and reasons for the delays. if she is debilitated she may not be able to stand her ground and express her situation properly.
    Is there a private option ? any funds ? family with funds ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

http://www.ntpf.ie/home/

National Treatment Purchase Fund

If people are on waiting lists for so long the State will just pay for it privately.
    Doesn't have to be in Ireland, they can also send you to the UK

I don't know a whole lot about it but have a read through the site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Moving to LTI

• Registered Users Posts: 3 joannaa

@Piliger Physically usually she feels OK, she walks and has strength. She did talk to doctors but there is just no reaction. I am worry about her mental state. She is completly isolated from people. Her life has really changed since the accident. It is not mater of months but years now and I see that she is depressed and feels lost, lonely and has no hope.

Unfortunately she has no family and kids. I am guessing that if she could afford private treatment then the problem would be solved.

@mikemac1 Thank you! Surely I will give this a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

NTPF all the way. I was on a waiting list for 6years to get an operation, and within 6months of being on the NTPF list I had it done and all. Give them a ring, and I think they send you out forms, I cant remember for certain, but it was all very straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 joannaa

Thank you emzolita! I will pass this information to my friend and neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 maggege

I have a friend who waits for an operation more then 3 years now. I have mentioned to her about NTPF but she said that she already was on that list and was going to have the operation done last year but there was some changes with the waiting list, they had to be redone again, big thing, it was on the tv and radio. Was there ever such thing with NTPF waiting lists I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭elleelle19

I'm pretty sure the NTPF if finished now. I had an operation last September and they said I had to have it done by a certain date as the scheme was finishing.

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/03/29/overcrowding-crisis-at-letterkenny-hospital-senator/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

I rang them yesterday (as i'm back on another waiting list)
    There was a really helpful woman on the phone, and she said that she could help if I was on a "surgical waiting list" for longer than 9 months.

good luck

Advertisement