Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instructor for nervous swimmer?

Options
  • 31-05-2012 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

We've been through a few different ones at this rate, our young one is really struggling to learn to swim it's harder because she's only learning now (13) I know it's going to take a long time and it's up to her at the end of the day to get the bottle to stick her head in the water and start swimming unaided.

She'll use a woggle or a board but can't get beyond that point, nervous about sticking head in the water and basically letting go.
    It was recommended that she just practice that there's no point in paying out for more lessons until she gets the nerve up which I totally understand.

But we're at a standstill now and I don't want to give up on it, I could just say fek it we'll try something land based but I really want her to swim 1. for safety reasons as she gets older and 2. so she doesn't feel left out on school lessons and trips away etc. 3. coz I know once she gets the hang of it she will enjoy it.

So what do I do, do I just keep bringing her or should I try and find an instructor that has more experience dealing with nervous swimmers. She's a very anxious kid as it is and takes a long time to get used to new things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I suppose it can be frustrating for you and her. At 13 kids are more aware of their being but when they are younger they are fearless. Could you be able maybe to get in pool with her at shallow end without and buoyancy aids and try and get her to dunk head. Hold nose and both of you do it at same time?

She may of felt pressure from the other instructors but if you are with her she may be more at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

When you say you've 'been through a few' - is that different instructors? Or different lessons or different attempts at getting her to swim? What hasn't been working?

Also it may help to say where you're based so people can make recommendations if you're looking for someone patient. Mad m makes a decent suggestion, if she's always in lessons then there's constant pressure whereas if you're just going for a family swim then it's just fun. The practice part is just getting familiar and comfortable in the water - not necessarily doing a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

She's had lessons with the school so other kids in her class are there. She's had lessons in summer camp (same pool) with kids she didn't know. She's had private lessons (many) with various instructors all of which were different e.g. some more pushy some take it slower some more serious some make it fun.

She goes with her dad and they just mess about (he's only just learned himself), she goes with me we play games e.g. race each other, ball games, just messing about and not every time but when I feel she's in a good mood I try to get her to practice what she learnt in lessons e.g. floating, blowing bubbles, dunking her head under water.
    I keep it short so as not to p*ss her off lol.

She can keep herself afloat on her own but she keeps her legs tucked in and basically swims like a prawn, I can get her to relax and stretch her legs back and kick.

I know they try to get them to swim backwards etc. in the lessons which I think is a bit much for a nervous swimmer I'd just be happy if she could swim forwards properly even if she doesn't dunk her head under for now I feel once she gains confidence in the water she'd eventually practice dunking her head and taking breaths.

She's got a membership so I take her as often as I can and will work with it more over the summer, it's just frustrating we've been trying for so long. I can see how scary it must be though learning when you're older though.

Would it be a waste of money to go with another instructor at this stage should I just wait till she feels ready, she knows what to do just hasn't the bottle to do it yet.

Kids these days, we had to learn in the freezing Irish sea sheesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

would agree with the above. take the focus of learning to swim and just get her enjoying the water and relaxing in it. If she is into her relaxation a bit she will probably love Watsu google it it would reenforce that water is a pleasant element to be in. I think getting her comfy underwater takes the fear away completely for over water, repetition, repetition over and over no quick fix imho. what stage are her friends at? I couldnt for the life of me get my daughter to remove armbands but once her friends dropped them so did she. Swallowed a bit of water in the process but didnt we all? The reason was she wanted to do it not me wanting her to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

Hi,

TBH there is no point pushing her too much. It is about getting comfortable in the water.
    I only learned to swim last year: I had/have an absolute phobia of the water.
    I took private lessons down in the Mespil pool.
    The instructor was really good BUT I was extremely determined to overcome the phobia and pushed myself by going to the pool as much as possible between lessons and forcing myself to realise that water wasn't going to drown me, it was panic that would do that.
    Previously I had taken classes but after the first night everyone else had progressed, I couldn't even float. After the third night where everyone else was practising their stroke and I was still trying to float, I gave up..

Give her time. Talk it through with her - maybe she would feel better if she understood how the whole floating thing works. I know it's basic laws of physics but it took me until I was 30 to accept that these laws would apply to me in water as well as to everyone else:) And once she feels ready to try, a private instructor is definitely the way to go.
    I had four one on one sessions, with no one else in the pool and it totally paid for itself a million times over.

Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It's a miracle, never thought I'd see the day but she's managed to swim a few strokes, breast stroke she doesn't stick her head under water (but she does now swim with one board with head under water) but I don't care it's a good start.

I wonder should I start her back with swimming lessons now, or just let her practice away for a bit without any pressure?

Am so chuffed, long way to go before she's really confident but it's a huge change from her standing at the pool edge shivering. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

or just let her practice away for a bit without any pressure?

I'd do this for a while to see how it goes....Keep the pressure off, after a while ask her would she feel more confident to go back to swimming lessons..

Good luck with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

As a swim teacher of 9 years. I would advise not just focusing on her swimming on the front. The reason people are shown how to go on the back is it helps aid with learning the physics of the water. It seems like it can be counter productive to nervous swimmers but in the long run it helps.

If she is still nervous i would stay with yourself and dad playing/teaching her. A good way to get her practicing is use dad who just learned himself. Get him to act like he is struggling with an aspect of his swimming get her to give him advice and ask can she show him.

Advertisement