Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes at Today Fm

Options
  • 31-05-2012 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like KC & Lenny (Meteor Award Winning Djs on Red FM Cork) are moving too the 7-9 slot on Today FM and Paul Macluine (sp?) is moving too 9-12

Should be an interesting move as both were GREAT on Red FM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Already discussed (Well the KC part anyway) here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056641569

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Thank you...As you can see im new and this is a BIG forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Thank you...As you can see im new and this is a BIG forum!

No problem :pac: Welcome to the forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭squonk

Pity they didn't shake things up more, like give Ian Dempsey a new time slot and a new format and give Ray & JP their marching orders!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Looks like KC & Lenny (Meteor Award Winning Djs on Red FM Cork) are moving too the 7-9 slot on Today FM and Paul Macluine (sp?) is moving too 9-12

Should be an interesting move as both were GREAT on Red FM
    what class of dj/ presenter are these lads?

i.e. plain pop or more alternative music or more talk than music (or something completely different altogether)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paul Macluine being shunted back is another indicator of dumbing down I presume (donno who the others are).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

mike65 wrote: »
    Paul Macluine being shunted back is another indicator of dumbing down I presume (donno who the others are).

I don't know about them dumbing down. I wouldn't class the stuff Paul Macluine plays as being the height of "intellectual" music, the majority of it is unlistenable whiney ****e anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Roxee

It's McLoone, not Macluine.

Sorry, that was just bugging me.

Carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

DarkJager wrote: »
    I don't know about them dumbing down. I wouldn't class the stuff Paul Macluine plays as being the height of "intellectual" music, the majority of it is unlistenable whiney ****e anyway.
    never listened to the lad but had a rummage (with name spelled correctly) and found his playlists here :
    http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Paul-McLoone/Blog.aspx

very safe range of hits from the early 90s (Pulp/ Blur but no Oasis) mainly supplemented with an occasional track before or after that period.

For young folk it'd be an education to get the history of modern popular music but it is quite a bland range of tunes all right.
    Dumbing down maybe, but they are a commercial station so cant exactly kill their listening figures by slapping in heaps of interesting music.

But at the same time quite the opposite of say someone like Zane Lowe on BBC Radio 1 who is on (I think) at the same time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DarkJager wrote: »

Well I didn't say it was "intellectual" (today FM waved that type of thing goodbye with Donal Dineen) but none the less the moving back of a show that isn't text/phone-in driven current pop pap shows Today FM are lowering their sights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Paul McLoone hasn't half mentioned his new time change has he?! :p Get the impression he's not too happy with the switch, he mentioned after every ad break one night last week and he's said it more than a few times this week filling in for Tony Fenton. I wouldn't mind, but half the the time Dave Couse is filling in for him!! :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

what class of dj/ presenter are these lads?

i.e. plain pop or more alternative music or more talk than music (or something completely different altogether)?

Pretty versatile tbh. Their breakfast show on RED was obviously mainly Pop, as RED's demographic is the under 35's, but they combined it with great banter and good little comedy inserts from time to time. Genuinely was my favourite breakfast show, gutted when they left 'cos it was miles better than Dempsey.

That said, KC's nighttime show combines loads of different stuff from what I've heard, a lot of pop, bit of rock/indie, etc.

Will be interesting to see how they get on. Hope it goes well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Horse84

Absolutely thrilled at this news, i start most mornings at 6 and these lads when they were on red just made the morning fly. Their slot was 6-10 every morning, not easy and the only help they had was the newsreader. Some of their sketches were genuinely funny, I wonder does red fm own the rights to them or can they play some of them on their new show.
    4 hours every morning mustve been tough to fill yet they managed to make it sound fresh all the time. Everyone down here that were fans were gutted when Kc got the today fm gig but delighted for em too cause they worked their asses off. Genuinely sound lads the both of em to meet too. Hope Lenny hasn't lost the thick blarney accent, he used to have a mad laugh too.
    Here's hoping they can stake a claim to a new breakfast show now, the country needs it IMHO

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Horse84 wrote: »
    Absolutely thrilled at this news, i start most mornings at 6 and these lads when they were on red just made the morning fly. Their slot was 6-10 every morning, not easy and the only help they had was the newsreader. Some of their sketches were genuinely funny, I wonder does red fm own the rights to them or can they play some of them on their new show.
    4 hours every morning mustve been tough to fill yet they managed to make it sound fresh all the time. Everyone down here that were fans were gutted when Kc got the today fm gig but delighted for em too cause they worked their asses off. Genuinely sound lads the both of em to meet too. Hope Lenny hasn't lost the thick blarney accent, he used to have a mad laugh too.
    Here's hoping they can stake a claim to a new breakfast show now, the country needs it IMHO

I'm really hopeful that they're being lined up to replace Dempsey if/when he retires.

Just gotta hope that they can cut it on a national scale now. KC has tested the waters pretty successfully on night time, so we'll see how he gets on with an evening slot now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Horse84

Dempsey should be retired and not hang around til retirement. Nothing against the guy at all but that show is gone really really stale and was it not for the lack of any serious breakfast show competition, ratings would have dictated he'd be gone long ago.
    Definitely think kc and Lenny could do a job there, if I won half the amount of stuff I won on their last show I'd be sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭countygorey

hector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Advertisement