Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber for outdoor activity centre

Options
  • 31-05-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I am planning on building an outdoor play house / activity area for my sons and would like to ask you for advice on the best timber / wood to use. I was hoping to have a raised platform, a climbing rope, a slide and a few other bits and pieces included in it.

I will need some quite long (7-8 ft) posts and some wooden cladding to enclose the platform area. Can you recommend what type would be best to use and where to get it?

For the cladding I was thinking about 'shiplap', the type of timber used to construct most garden sheds, but I'm not sure where to buy this. Are there any other better options? For the posts, what type would you recommend?

I live in West Cork so B&Q and Woodies are not really an option for me. I would have to be able to pick it up in one of the local DIY shops.

Thanks,

Tommy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Good job you have to go to a local supplier for your materials.... this is way cheaper than the DIY 'super stores', your local builders providers is the place to go.
    Pressure treated timber is probably what your after, and most economical. If you are near a timber mill, you could look at perhaps Douglas Fir, larch or cedar or if your budget can handle it, a bit of oak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

earpiece wrote: »
    Good job you have to go to a local supplier for your materials.... this is way cheaper than the DIY 'super stores', your local builders providers is the place to go.
    Pressure treated timber is probably what your after, and most economical. If you are near a timber mill, you could look at perhaps Douglas Fir, larch or cedar or if your budget can handle it, a bit of oak!

you would want to be mad to make it in oak. cedar would make a beauty but material costs would be high. pressure treated is definately the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

1chippy wrote: »
    you would want to be mad to make it in oak. cedar would make a beauty but material costs would be high. pressure treated is definately the way to go.

Why so? Good hardwood that would last, about €5 more a cube than cedar..... and they'd look the same in a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 playhouse12

hi,i design install range of playground equipment,i build my own strong towers,using imported treated softwood,with rounded edges for extra safety,same for shiplap,i use 4x2 for main framimg,again treated and with rounded edges,i use heavy deck boards,again treated,and every single exposed edge,i sand with electric sander by hand,so no splinters whatso ever,most times,i hand stain the complete unit,with ronseal,posts are 4x4,so absolutely strongly built.

Advertisement