Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childbirth in the Media Misinforms Mums to Be

Options
  • 31-05-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

This week saw the release of the latest Hollywood blockbuster - What To Expect When You're Expecting – based on the best selling pregnancy and birth guide.
    There are more pregnant women watching TV birth scenes than attending antenatal classes. In antenatal clinics all around Ireland women are discussing the most recent scenes of ‘One Born Every Minute’.

A documentary film, “Labouring Under An Illusion: Mass Media Childbirth vs. The Real Thing,” contrasts actual birth footage with the fictionalized commercial version. In over 100 video clips, anthropologist Vicki Elson explores media-generated myths about childbirth.

“I tried to make a documentary that lets people make up their own minds,” says Elson. “I also tried to make it funny, because the subject can be so intense. If you watch TV and movie birth scenes, you can get wrapped up in the drama, so I juxtaposed the clips so that the new context lets you look at it from a little distance and see how you’ve been manipulated.”

“I Love Lucy was the first of many madcap dashes to the hospital,” says Elson. “But in real life, labour takes an average of 12 hours. On TV, labouring women lie in bed and complain. In real life, birth works a whole lot better when women are upright, walking, moving freely, even dancing and making lots of noise. Recently, Juno, Waitress, and Knocked Up offered both compassion and misinformation about dealing with labour.”

Elson says she is particularly concerned about the large numbers of women staying home from childbirth classes and watching “reality” shows. “Those shows will take footage of a nice, normal birth, and then give it scary music, tilted camera angles, and narration about ‘the most dangerous journey in life.’ They’ll do anything to keep us tuned in till the next commercial!”

As a childbirth educator since 1983, Elson observes how culture affects birth experiences, and she says it’s getting worse. “I’m seeing healthy, smart women getting really scared by the silly, scary images served up by the profit-driven media. I made my film for women in the US, but I’m getting mail from all over the world – apparently the film is relevant in Malaysia and Madagascar because we export so much of our media. In reality, birth is hard work, usually simple, rarely complicated, but always miraculous and unforgettable.”

The Doula Association of Ireland will be screening “Labouring Under An Illusion” on Thursday July 26th at 7pm followed by a panel discussion.

All birth professionals and expectant Mums/Dads are welcome to attend.

Location: Louis Fitzgerald Hotel, Newlands Cross Dublin - tickets €10 via PayPal, cheque or credit card – pre-booking is advised. A limited number of tickets will be available on the night of the screening.

Screening dates for Galway, Cork and Waterford will be announced shortly.
    For more information on this documentary visit www.birth-media.com or PM me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Agree completely with the above. Birthing shows are edited to over-dramatise them, they have to keep viewers glued somehow. Still entertaining though ;)

Love this line "In reality, birth is hard work, usually simple, rarely complicated, but always miraculous and unforgettable.”

I notice this event is 2 days before my due date :D Hopefully I'll make it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

It is such a pity that the first opportunity most people have to witness a real life labour or childbirth is when they're the parents going through it. And sometimes not even then - if OH is unlucky enough to be excluded.

My mother had my two youngest siblings at home and seeing (and hearing) her going through labour of both and attending and witnessing (even assisting a bit at) the birth of the youngest one (I was 7) was amazing. Whatever aspects of pregnancy I might have concerns about the actual birth bit has never been one of them.

My sister just gave birth to her youngest child in a birthing centre in Arizona. If she had wished it her older children could have been there, as well as her OH. As it was she decided not to have them there for the birth (she had a Douala instead of OH) but the whole family were able to say there together until she decided to go home (just 24 hours after the birth in her case).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Friends is the one which is often mentioned as being complete fantasy yet lots of women think that's how it is. Remember Rachel sitting up in bed looking very fresh and made up immediately after giving birth? Yah, I really looked like that after childbirth. I think I looked more like Sylvester Stallone in Rocky than Jennifer Anniston!

That documentary sounds interesting. I might get a ticket.

Did you miss the episode where Phoebe gives birth to triplets vaginally, with a push or two between the three of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Also Rachel's waters broke when she was sitting on the couch wearing a floor length beige skirt, yet the skirt managed to dodge getting wet at all :rolleyes: It's amazing the amount of people who think that labour on tv is how it actually happens, one minute you're grand, the next minute you get one massive pain and have to tear off to the hospital immediately for a couple of minutes of frantic pushing, and then you get a clean 3 month old! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Does anyone really believe fictional TV shows are a reflection of the real thing? :eek:

Squiggler wrote: »
    My mother had my two youngest siblings at home and seeing (and hearing) her going through labour of both and attending and witnessing (even assisting a bit at) the birth of the youngest one (I was 7) was amazing. Whatever aspects of pregnancy I might have concerns about the actual birth bit has never been one of them.

Wow! If my mother gave birth to my sister in front of me I'd have died! I think I'd still be in therapy over it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Wow! If my mother gave birth to my sister in front of me I'd have died! I think I'd still be in therapy over it :pac:

It was a planned homebirth, not some awful accident. Birth is a totally natural thing, and it is only a relatively recent thing for it not to be a more "family based" event. I'd witnessed many animals giving birth before that as I grew up on a farm. The midwife had talked to us ALL, as a family, about what was happening during the pregnancy and what would happen later, as had my parents.

Don't forget, your reaction is now, as an adult. But children don't think or react like adults, if they are introduced to something as a natural part of the life cycle (which childbirth is if anything is), or as something dreadful and traumatic to be hidden away (and linked with Mammy disappearing for 3 days, Daddy being up the walls with stress and being left at the mercy of Granny who's made it clear it's all the new baby's fault), then that will shape their adult attitude. I have experience of both and it was much better being part of the process and sharing in it.

It was a planned homebirth, not some awful accident. Birth is a totally natural thing, and it is only a relatively recent thing for it not to be a more "family based" event. I'd witnessed many animals giving birth before that as I grew up on a farm. The midwife had talked to us ALL, as a family, about what was happening during the pregnancy and what would happen later, as had my parents.

Don't forget, your reaction is now, as an adult. But children don't think or react like adults, if they are introduced to something as a natural part of the life cycle (which childbirth is if anything is), or as something dreadful and traumatic to be hidden away (and linked with Mammy disappearing for 3 days, Daddy being up the walls with stress and being left at the mercy of Granny who's made it clear it's all the new baby's fault), then that will shape their adult attitude. I have experience of both and it was much better being part of the process and sharing in it.

I'm sure it was great for you, you seem to have got great value from it, but if they'd asked me as a child do I want to see a birth I'd have said no way!. They showed us a child birth video in school and I happened to be out sick that day (total coincidence). Thank god because I believe it was horrendous lol.

I'm not of the ilk that believe child birth is a beautiful thing....for me its a necessary evil to meet your baby. There are many things that are natural that I wouldn't watch some one do.

But I understand that's not everyone's thinking and I'm glad you benefited from your experience

I watched Births of a Nation on rte recently and they showed two women preparing for home births. I have to say I was very jealous of the couple who were snuggled up in bed with their newborn instead of being in a hospital.

As for children, I think they're far more open minded than we think them credit for. When my nephews, 9 and 11, first met my son they asked where the bottles were. Their eyes nearly came out of their heads when I said I was feeding him by breast. They'd never heard of it before. Anyway my son needed to be fed so I started under the watchful gaze of two young boys. The younger one hopped up beside me and stroked my sons head while I fed. He asked a thousand and one questions but once he saw breastfeeding in action he was fine with it and would tell everyone that his new cousin is breastfed. My sister and her husband, on the other hand, were mortified.

• Advertisement

I watched Births of a Nation on rte recently and they showed two women preparing for home births. I have to say I was very jealous of the couple who were snuggled up in bed with their newborn instead of being in a hospital.

As for children, I think they're far more open minded than we think them credit for. When my nephews, 9 and 11, first met my son they asked where the bottles were. Their eyes nearly came out of their heads when I said I was feeding him by breast. They'd never heard of it before. Anyway my son needed to be fed so I started under the watchful gaze of two young boys. The younger one hopped up beside me and stroked my sons head while I fed. He asked a thousand and one questions but once he saw breastfeeding in action he was fine with it and would tell everyone that his new cousin is breastfed. My sister and her husband, on the other hand, were mortified.

Could you not have gone for a home birth HS? I don't mind the hospital bit, I do mind the staying in for 10 days afterwards coz of bloomin bp though :mad::D

I think watching some one breast feed and watching some one give birth are two completely different things. I've no problem with a woman breastfeeding in front of me, or anywhere else. My sis in law however is completely against women who do it in front of others. She is completely disgusted by it would you believe :rolleyes:

Funnily enough during the two labours, I didn't give a monkeys who was in the room, they could have invited the pope in for all I cared :D But I certainly wouldn't watch another woman do it :D

Acoshla wrote: »
    Also Rachel's waters broke when she was sitting on the couch wearing a floor length beige skirt, yet the skirt managed to dodge getting wet at all :rolleyes:

That bugs me to no end every time I see that episode

Does anyone really believe fictional TV shows are a reflection of the real thing? :eek:

You'd want to be seriously seriously thick to believe it.

It was a planned homebirth, not some awful accident. Birth is a totally natural thing, and it is only a relatively recent thing for it not to be a more "family based" event.

I saw a homebirth show & their daughter who was 4 or 5 was around for the birth. There was a relative minding her and if she seemed in any way uncomfortable then she was brought to another part of the house to play. She ended up seeing the actual birth, smiling the whole way through.

You would want to be careful with kids though & show them some birthing videos first (starting with less graphic ones if possible) to test whether they really want to be there or not, no point upsetting them! As long as they can make an escape if they are not comfortable with it, it would be a great experience for them.
    My sis in law however is completely against women who do it in front of others. She is completely disgusted by it would you believe :rolleyes:

I'm amazed at the amount of people that shudder at the thought of breastfeeding, it really freaks some people out (including mothers). My mother-in-law gets the heebie jeebies at the thought of it.
    Some people are freaked out by pregnant women and hate talking about anything to do with it. I had a friend who was a bit scared of babies (middle aged man), he was even freaked out by baby wipes & the smell of them.

But then I'm terrified, absolutely terrified, of spiders & I really have no reason to be as they are completely harmless in this country & necessary to our ecosystem, so there you go.

Hannibal Smith, I agree there's quite a difference between breastfeeding and giving birth but I don't normally get my breasts out in front of my nephews :P

I think you have to be under 35 for a home birth. I'm considered geriatric according to the Coombe! Next time around I want to come home asap so I can nest in my own bed.

Hannibal Smith, I agree there's quite a difference between breastfeeding and giving birth but I don't normally get my breasts out in front of my nephews :P

I think you have to be under 35 for a home birth. I'm considered geriatric according to the Coombe! Next time around I want to come home asap so I can nest in my own bed.

Haahaa...:D

Lol, I think the maternity system is going to have realistically change their criteria for us geriatric mums :D A friend of mine had a baby in the Coombe last year and was out the next day, so you never know! I would love that too. It'd be great to come home to your own bed afterwards.

I would've been out the same day except my son was born more than 18 hours after my waters broke so they had up do a blood test which took 3 days to get the results for. Grrr!

I'd like birthing centres like in America where the emphasis is on giving birth as we're designed to do rather than being monitored by medical staff who are ready to intervene to keep things moving along. I'm kind of undecided about whether I'd like to give birth at home but I'd like a calm, relaxing environment.

I don't mind the intervention....my two went into distress and I always think, what if they hadn't sussed it...what would have happened?

3 days for a blood result is a bit crazy though :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

You don't have to be. My aunt was 37 for her last birth and she was having a home birth. Unfortunately the labour went over 24 hours so she had to transfer to hospital to actually give birth but if my cousin had gotten a move on sooner she'd have been fine for a home birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

SanFran07 wrote: »
    The Doula Association of Ireland will be screening “Labouring Under An Illusion” on Thursday July 26th at 7pm followed by a panel discussion.

All birth professionals and expectant Mums/Dads are welcome to attend.

Location: Louis Fitzgerald Hotel, Newlands Cross Dublin - tickets €10 via PayPal, cheque or credit card – pre-booking is advised. A limited number of tickets will be available on the night of the screening.

Screening dates for Galway, Cork and Waterford will be announced shortly.
    For more information on this documentary visit www.birth-media.com or PM me.

Apologies for leaving out how to get the tickets!

To purchase your tickets with a credit card or PayPal please use email address - Doulaassociationofireland@gmail.com

Please PM me to pay by cheque.

Advertisement