Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 To Go - anyone else tried it?

Options
  • 31-05-2012 6:56am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After reading this piece on Ars Technica and remembering that I have a decent-speed USB2 pendrive not doing anything, I figured I'd give this a go.

I'm reasonably impressed. It's not perfect - the setup takes a good while, and actually using the OS is quite slow. On the other hand, I was able to install drivers for my home desktop wireless card easily and get it to run through online activation, along with a few other bits and pieces. It's also made me realise how much I'm going to not like Metro once 8 has fully launched :( (Seriously, when I'm having to use the Search function to find the feckin' Windows Update option something's gone very badly wrong...)

I can't see it being useful unless you're using USB3 drives on suitably-equipped machines, but as a response to the growing BYOD silliness it's quite a good one.

Anybody else tried it out? If so, what did you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Looks like microsoft built this for the Touchscreen market .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

rebeve wrote: »
    Looks like microsoft built this for the Touchscreen market .

Windows 8 in general, or at least the Metro UI? Definitely.

Windows To Go? Not really - there are various rumours about how it won't work on ARM-based devices (though nothing definitive), and my understanding of its intended purpose is to give domain-admins a balance between the perceived cost-saving benefits of BYOD policies and the security/administrative benefits of a properly-configured domain & group policy structure. It's just a shame that thus far, every study about the impact of BYOD has suggested pretty strongly that there aren't any cost savings (because invisible costs arise that offset the perceived savings, eg higher support costs due to a wider array of equipment types, higher expenditure on "spare" hardware since consumer kit typically has crap warranty cover) so it may not actually get much use in the wild.

Advertisement