Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mma fighter dies after fight.

Options
  • 30-05-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭

Very sad news and really not what the sport needs at the minute. I bet the naysayers will be all over this one.

May 30, 2012 - Dustin Jenson, an MMA fighter, died in an unregulated event in South Dakota on May 18th, according to the Rapid City Journal.

The report states Jenson, 26, participated in Ring Wars 74 on May 18th at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center in Rapid City, South Dakota. In his bout with Hayden Hensrud, Jenson eventually tapped from a triangle choke. His mother-in-law, Violet Schieman, said Jensen was normal after his fight and even watched the following two fights on the card.

Jenson then returned to the locker room area to stretch when he moaned and reportedly suffered a seizure. An EMT was called to the scene and Jenson was eventually transported him to Rapid City Regional Hospital.

Schieman told the Rapid City Journal Jenson was placed in a medically induced coma to relieve pressure on his brain. Subsequent surgery to relieve the swelling was performed, but Jenson eventually died on May 24th.

"He did not wake up after the surgery and was declared brain dead at 10:23 a.m.," Schieman told the Rapid City Journal. "He remained on life support until his organs were donated."

The report states Jenson was participating in his fifth fight in less than a year. South Dakota does not have an athletic commission to regulate either professional or amateur mixed martial arts.

Jenson's friends have set up a website that accepts donations to help defray medical and funeral expenses.

Jenson becomes the third MMA fighter to die in the United States directly following MMA competition. Michael Kirkham, who was 30 years of age at the time of his death, died after his professional debut in South Carolina in 2010. Sam Vasquez died at the age of 35 after suffering a subdural hemorrhage in his third professional fight in Texas.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Jesus, that's terrible sad. Feel for the family, friends and the opponent he fought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

there was also an mma fighter paralysed in training the other day. read it on thaigo alves twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dean09 wrote: »
    I bet the naysayers will be all over this one.

Point them towards the fact that Three high school students died in school judo activities in 2011.
    All Judo Japan Federation (Zenjuren) announced that three high school students died in school judo activities in 2011 and three students were left with long term after-effects.

At the Zenjuren experts committee held today (March 16, 2012) judo injuries including three death cases in school judo activities were reported for this year (April 2011 to March 2012). First year high school male students died during club practices; two students hit their heads in major outer reap and one died of heatstroke. In addition there were three junior/senior high school students who were left with long term damages after judo incidents.

And tell 'em to feck off (well not really).. As sad and tragic as it is for those involved, MMA is a combat sport which carries risks.

Poor guy, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

His doctors reviewed the fight tape and said that its wasn't overly violent and shouldn't of cased the seizure. There was probably a underlying medical condition.
    Hope his family are given a bit of peace and the antis don't try to twist the story to their advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Mellor wrote: »
    His doctors reviewed the fight tape and said that its wasn't overly violent and shouldn't of cased the seizure. There was probably a underlying medical condition.
    Hope his family are given a bit of peace and the antis don't try to twist the story to their advantage.

I was thinking that myself, if he was knocked out I would have more linked it, but not from been tapped out, I'd say that poor lads time was just up.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

I thought they hypothesised he could have died from an aneurysm or a clot. Getting chocked out could have dislodged a thrombus or caused the aneurysm to haemorrhage .

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

That fact there's no athletic commission in South Dakota is probably why this has happened. If it was an underlying medical condition it would have been caught in the medicals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

Not true.

You don't get MRIs or CTs before you get licensed to fight. He had a clean bill of health. Sure how many scans did that Bolton soccer player get and he still had a undiagnosed heart problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Richy06 wrote: »
    That fact there's no athletic commission in South Dakota is probably why this has happened. If it was an underlying medical condition it would have been caught in the medicals.

That's not true at all. There are any things a medical won't catch and brain scans aren't a part of a medical. Don't blame this on the lack of governance. MMA is a high impact sport in which trainees get thrown and struck on a daily basis. Deaths are as inevitable in MMA as they are in other hazardous sports such as boxing, motorbike racing, horse racing etc.

It is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

That's not true at all. There are any things a medical won't catch and brain scans aren't a part of a medical. Don't blame this on the lack of governance. MMA is a high impact sport in which trainees get thrown and struck on a daily basis. Deaths are as inevitable in MMA as they are in other hazardous sports such as boxing, motorbike racing, horse racing etc.

It is what it is.

Fair point, and you don't have to go to Dakota to see it, the loss of life recently at a rallying event on these shores didn't even involve participants, the question to answer is if the stakeholders of Irish mma are doing enough to ensure this doesn't happen here?

• Advertisement

Well the lack of an athletic commission can't have helped the situation either, in fairness.

Well the lack of an athletic commission can't have helped the situation either, in fairness.

Because they would have provided absolutely no tests to catch it? What's your point here?

Not true.

You don't get MRIs or CTs before you get licensed to fight. He had a clean bill of health. Sure how many scans did that Bolton soccer player get and he still had a undiagnosed heart problem.

3 times, once last summer.

Athletic commissions in the US have varying requirements medically - but many of them require MRIs or some other brain scan at least once in a fighter's career and thereafter as they are required. So my point is, with a commission in place and the required medicals carried out - which usually include an MRI - it MAY have been caught.

Maybe over here they don't require MRIs or the like, but in the US, the Commissions usually do. Not always, mind, but in many cases.

http://www.makeafight.com/commissions/

Well that's a markedly different position from your initial apologist stance. You previously said that the lack of a commission was "probably" what caused it and that it would unconditionally have been caught in a medical.

This is a dangerous sport and it really doesn't need people making very easily shot down statements defending it with half truths.

Athletic commissions in the US have varying requirements medically - but many of them require MRIs or some other brain scan at least once in a fighter's career and thereafter as they are required. So my point is, with a commission in place and the required medicals carried out - which usually include an MRI - it MAY have been caught.
    How often do a commission request a prefight MRI. I'd expect it post fight occasionally as part of the medical report.

This was an amateur bout, I'd don't think there is any chance this was getting caught no matter what the state.
    Also, we don't even know if there was anything there for an MRI to catch.

I haven't changed my position. If it was an underlying medical condition it would probably have been caught by the appropriate scans. Maybe it wouldn't have been. Maybe this wasn't as a result of a pre existing medical condition. Maybe it was.

Your original point was that it wouldn't have mattered as they don't provide these tests.

But they do in many cases.

Apologies if my use of the word 'probably' in my original post muddied the water as to what I was saying. I'm not making a definitive statement that if there was a commission there, this wouldn't have happened. Nor am I assigning blame to anyone or anything.

The fact remains, commissions and their medical requirements being in place, this man might still be alive. I'm not denying the fact that the sport is a dangerous one and that deaths and serious injury are going to happen.

Mellor, they're required, from what I can see, to do the medical on the first occasion they fight in the state and thereafter where appropriate. I'm guessing they assess it on an individual basis from there on.

The "fact" remains, there probably might be aliens.

Until you see the autopsy report, show me your medical examiner's cert and I see you wearing a pair of scrubs at a press conference I think you should stick to either:
    - expressing sympathy
    - expressing shock
    Rather than trotting out some half baked facts you cooked up from a mixture of Sherdog and Greys Anatomy.

Mr. Dougie ****in Howser

I've never watched Grey's Anatomy in my life and I just googled "State Athletic Commission Medical Requirements" actually. I have no agenda here, nor am I claiming to be an authority on anything here. I don't think anyone would mistake me for one either. I was merely offering my opinion, which I thought was kinda the point of this place?

Sorry that I appear to have climbed so far up your arse though, Barry and forgive me if I don't do exactly as you think I should because last time I checked you weren't sporting a "Richy's Ma" tshirt.

Sorry that I appear to have climbed so far up your arse though, Barry and forgive me if I don't do exactly as you think I should because last time I checked you weren't sporting a "Richy's Ma" tshirt.
    Firstly, don't be so coarse, and secondly, don't be so precious. If you put up baseless bullsh1t I think you should expect someone to tell you it is.

brain scans aren't a part of a medical.

Bull****.

Am I doing it right?

• Advertisement

brain scans aren't a part of a medical.

Bull****.

Am I doing it right?
    No. Pre-fight medicals do not use brain scans, and amateur fighters do not require brain scans.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

only on boards could an RIP thread go this way haha. actually quite funny to me as i know yous and think yous are actually quite similar personality wise :D

never good to hear about a young sports person dying. RIP as they say.

as someone who has debated quite a bit on radio/tv etc about mma safety the strategy i usually take is not to compare it with other combat sports, but rather sports/activities that claim a lot of lives yearly...motor sports, water sports, equestrine sports etc all of us 'combat sports' guys are in this together.
    its also funny seeing their faces when you point out that in the states, of the sports that dont involve engines, water or animals 'cheerleading' has the most serious/catastrophic injuries per head playing. more than NFL, boxing, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

'cheerleading' has the most serious/catastrophic injuries per head playing. more than NFL, boxing, etc etc.
    Time to hang up my Pom poms :(

I'll be honest, I missed the fact that this was an amateur bout until you said so, Barry. It doesn't state it in any of the articles I read about the tragedy.

Sorry to have derailed the thread.

I wouldn't worry about it. Making spurious claims without having all the facts is what the Internet is all about.

Gob bless freedom of speech.

I'll be honest, I missed the fact that this was an amateur bout until you said so, Barry. It doesn't state it in any of the articles I read about the tragedy.

Sorry to have derailed the thread.
    I guess you also missed it a few posts above where I pointed it out to you also.
    Mellor, they're required, from what I can see, to do the medical on the first occasion they fight in the state and thereafter where appropriate. I'm guessing they assess it on an individual basis from there on

Medical =/= MRI

Mellor wrote: »
    I guess you also missed it a few posts above where I pointed it out to you also.

You would be correct in your guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Terrible tragedy, my sympathies for the fighters family and friends.

Richy06 - give the first three seasons of Greys a look, they are passable enough and always go over well with the better half.

Mellor - haven't seen this =/= being used for doesn't equal, was that what you meant? Is that the popular internet expression for that nowadays?

I use != or <> myself, but they have their basis in coding rather than common (or net) parlance.

Mellor - haven't seen this =/= being used for doesn't equal, was that what you meant? Is that the popular internet expression for that nowadays?

I use != or <> myself, but they have their basis in coding rather than common (or net) parlance.
    It's actually the proper mathematics inequality sign. Strictly speaking, it looks like "≠" . But my way is the just a quick way of typing it. It's a lot older than the Internet.

Coding uses a smaller character set so it had to find a replacement way of showing it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement