Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GR Medical

Options
  • 30-05-2012 8:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have the Garda Reserve medical next week and was just wondering if anybody could tell me what to prepare for as I've never done a medical examination like this before?

Also, I'm travelling up from Cork and the examination is on at 9.30 am. Would it be recommended to stay over the night before or just to drive up on the morning as I was planning to do? Whereabouts is the Garda HQ and is it easy to get to?

Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RealCorkLanger

V480 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have the Garda Reserve medical next week and was just wondering if anybody could tell me what to prepare for as I've never done a medical examination like this before?

Also, I'm travelling up from Cork and the examination is on at 9.30 am. Would it be recommended to stay over the night before or just to drive up on the morning as I was planning to do? Whereabouts is the Garda HQ and is it easy to get to?

Appreciate any help.
    Hello!

I did the medical March last year, it is fairly straight forward(like a check up at the doctor).

If you wear glasses, bring them with you.

I actually failed the medical because my BMI was too high(had a BMI of 32, max is 30).

With regard to travelling up, if you are not familiar with Dublin, I recommend that you go up the night before(given that it is on early in the morning.)I didnt drive when I was up before, but I'd say parking would be a pain in the arse at GHQ.

Oh, bring a newspaper/smartphone+bottle of water, I was waiting around 3-4 hours in the waiting room. Make sure you are there on time too, if not early!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Hello!

I did the medical March last year, it is fairly straight forward(like a check up at the doctor).

If you wear glasses, bring them with you.

I actually failed the medical because my BMI was too high(had a BMI of 32, max is 30).

With regard to travelling up, if you are not familiar with Dublin, I recommend that you go up the night before(given that it is on early in the morning.)I didnt drive when I was up before, but I'd say parking would be a pain in the arse at GHQ.

Oh, bring a newspaper/smartphone+bottle of water, I was waiting around 3-4 hours in the waiting room. Make sure you are there on time too, if not early!!

Hey,

Thanks very much for the reply, appreciate it.

I wear contacts most of the time, but should I wear glasses instead?

I was thinking of driving to the red cow and getting the LUAS from there. How far is the Garda HQ from Dublin City Centre? Could you walk it easy enough of should I get a taxi you reckon?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RealCorkLanger

V480 wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks very much for the reply, appreciate it.

I wear contacts most of the time, but should I wear glasses instead?

I was thinking of driving to the red cow and getting the LUAS from there. How far is the Garda HQ from Dublin City Centre? Could you walk it easy enough of should I get a taxi you reckon?

Thanks
    GHQ is in the Phoenix Park(here) so you are going right into the city. I'm not a jackeen+dont live in Dub so I wouldnt be the best to help with directions unfortunately, although I'd say the best thing to do would be park at the red cow and Luas it in, then get a taxi. I remember getting the bus from O'Connell st to the Phoenix Park, I think it was late and took ages, so if I were you I would get the taxi(would have gotten one myself that time, but I was very broke!)

AFAIK regarding the contacts/glasses, the doc will ask if you are wearing contacts, they dont want you wearing them for the eye exam as far as I know(eye and other medical requirements) but the doc tested me with and without my glasses and said I was fine. Now, my eyes are -1.5 in each eye and I just about make the requirements. They may be more lenient with the eye exam for the reserves, though I think that ultimately is upon the doctor to decide.

Now, you could wear contacts and say nothing(which I considered doing)I dont recall the doctor taking a very detailed look at my eyes to check if I was wearing any, but if you are hoping to go to the Gardaí full time whenever the recruitment ban is lifted(like I am!) you may as well know where you stand with them regarding your eyesight and if necessary look into getting laser eye surgery.

Good luck with the medical anyway, hopefully I'll be doing my second one within a few months!

p.s. Seriously, bring a newspaper+bottle of water,if you are waiting like I was you could start going mad!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Garda HQ is in the Phoneix Park, you take the gate into the park from the bottom of the North Circular road. The HQ is on the right as your going in, you really can't miss it. It's a big old school style building.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

@ V480, are you going for the medical tomorrow morning? Wed 13th? I'm from Dublin myself, the best thing for you to do is park at the Red Cow if you're driving up, get the luas to Heuston and it's in the Phoenix Park, only take you 15-20 minutes to walk there maximum from Heuston...

I've my medical tomorrow morning there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Mike4444

Passed my medical today...delighted...such a relief to have it over...bring on Templemore...looking forward to starting the training... !

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭smiley963

Mike4444 wrote: »
    Passed my medical today...delighted...such a relief to have it over...bring on Templemore...looking forward to starting the training... !
    Is there any leeway on the BMI is it tough?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mike4444

Hey smiley...I'm not sure if there is any leeway on the Bmi or not...I think though they are fairly strict on the mark of 30 for it I think...I forget again...if you have any queries about the medical..you should ring hq ...I must say they are very helpful and polite when ever before I rang with a query ...best of luck with it anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

Hi all!
    Having my medical on Thursday the 27th of this month. Anyone else travelling from south west on that day so we can arrange a car pool?

Advertisement