Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endoscopy - is sedation optional?

Options
  • 29-05-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm being referred on for an endoscopy of my stomach by my GP. Don't know when I'll be called but I was doing a bit of searching on the internet and some of the patient information leaflets for this procedure mention sedation while others also give the option of staying awake and just having a throat spray to numb the area. Most of these seem to be UK hospitals though.

I was just wondering for those that have had them, were you always given an option of the 2 methods, or was sedation the only option? I would much prefer to stay awake as it would mean I wouldn't have to have someone to drive me home. Or is staying awake really uncomfortable and would ye have preferred to have taken the sedation route?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭SVI40

Hi,

I had it done twice in St Joseph's in Raheny. I was given the choice of sedation or the spray. Choose the spray on both occasions. It was uncomfortable, loads of gagging, but not too bad. I found taking very large breaths of air through my mouth while the tube was going down helped alot.

Good luck with your procedure!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

SVI40 wrote: »
    Hi,

I had it done twice in St Joseph's in Raheny. I was given the choice of sedation or the spray. Choose the spray on both occasions. It was uncomfortable, loads of gagging, but not too bad. I found taking very large breaths of air through my mouth while the tube was going down helped alot.

Good luck with your procedure!

Thanks for the quick reply, doesn't sound too bad. Do you mind me asking but how come you had to have two? Do they have to repeat them often?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭SVI40

Hi,

First time they discovered the Helicobacter Pylori so was put on meds to clear it. Symptoms continued after the course of antibiotics, (chest pains, acid reflux etc), so went back to make sure the HCB was cleared. It was, but the issue continued for a few months, and thankfully only recurs very occasionally since. That was 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply, that's great you got it sorted, hope it continues to stay away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Just a really quick note on tube in places they don't normally go - if you are having an endoscopy and a colonoscopy go for the sedation. I have become partially conscious during one colonoscopy and they hurt like hell (plus, there is the joy of having a tube up your bum). If it is just a stomach scope, sedation is the easiest option because you go in, lie down, wake up in the ward - job done - while with the spray option you could be there for 15 minutes with a tube down your throat, and they may take biopsies, which is more uncomfortable than it sounds and you still have to spend time the hospital afterwards just to make sure everything is ok. Personally, I always go for the drugs when having anything done but that is just me!

Some hospital only offer one or the other so you may not even have the option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I went for sedation as I hated the feeling (had them several times in the past) - get someone to drive you home, it is worth it.

Thanks for the replies, I suppose there's no point thinking too much about it until I get called for it, at least I'll know then whether I have the option of sedation or not. Fingers crossed it will go ok!

I would get plans in place to get home so that you have the option - I do not drive so that was not an issue!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I also recommend the sedation but just so you know it isn't very strong sedation. It's by no means equivalent to an anaesthetic for example so while you'll feel a bit drowsy after you'll feel absolutely fine by evening and next morning. When I had mine I was partially awake for the procedure so I did experience the gagging etc which isn't pleasant but the sedation made me feel it has passed in a minute rather than the 15 mins it actually took. I didn't need to sleep afterwards, I wouldn't have been able to drive but I was able to go home and lie in bed and watch telly. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I've had 2 endoscopys and was never offered sedation. The throat spray is very effective and although it was very slightly uncomfortable, it was painless. Nothing to worry about! Good luck with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Hi. I had an endoscopy 11 years ago. Had to drive myself that day so I opted for no sedation, just a spray in the back of the throat. No major problem. You will feel like gagging but fight it and swallow when the doctor says so. You'll be fine. I was diagnosed with Duodenal Ulcer Disease which required intensive drug treatment for 3 weeks. Not a bother since. However, since the Endoscopy and subsequent treatment I have an intolerance for apples. I can eat cooked apples in pie or tart or stewed apples with custard. But if I eat an apple 'raw' I will be sick within 10 minutes. And variety has nothing to do with it. It's a real bummer because I love apples.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭pejay

I also recommend the sedation as i gagged a few times when trying to put it down its not a very nice feeling.Especially if you are a nervous person like me

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Thanks for the replies, I suppose there's no point thinking too much about it until I get called for it, at least I'll know then whether I have the option of sedation or not. Fingers crossed it will go ok!

Ive had many off them done only once without sedation and it was horrible your gagging all the time your better off getting sedation your only asleep for a little while they give you drug into your arm just before they put the camera down and you wake up back in the recovery room not remembering anything

one minor thing i noticed the nurses in the day ward dont like patients who go for sedation because they have to be looked after when they come back from the procedure ie taking your blood pressure etc and waking you up as against some whos had the camera done and no sedation, they can just have their cup of tea and go home straight away

Oh yeah after having the camera and when you wake up the doc comes around and tells you the initial results

Best of luck

Thanks for all the replies, looks like sedation is the way to go. Just hope I don't do too much rambling when I come round, I kinda know some people who work in the endoscopy unit in my local hospital, don't want to say something I shouldn't!

cabledude wrote: »
    However, since the Endoscopy and subsequent treatment I have an intolerance for apples. I can eat cooked apples in pie or tart or stewed apples with custard. But if I eat an apple 'raw' I will be sick within 10 minutes. And variety has nothing to do with it. It's a real bummer because I love apples.:confused:

It's funny, but since I started having problems with my stomach, even the thought of coffee makes me feel queasy. I used to love it, it was my treat, a mug of coffee and biscuits in front of the tv and it wasn't even the strong stuff, just the mild Maxwell house stuff, now I can't even bear to think about drinking it, its weak tea or nothing:confused:

Thanks for all the replies, looks like sedation is the way to go. Just hope I don't do too much rambling when I come round, I kinda know some people who work in the endoscopy unit in my local hospital, don't want to say something I shouldn't!
    Ahh, who cares as they know that you are sedated at the time. All the best with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Hi there, my doctor referred me for both a colonoscopy and endoscopy due to persistent stomach complaints, I was just wondering if they do both these procedures in the one go or will I have to come in on 2 separate occasions?

Also with the sedation do you still have control over your own breathing? I recently had to undergo a general anaesthetic to get my wisdom teeth out and I had an asthma attack within minutes of being induced, I'm terrified something like this would happen again :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Hi all,
    I'm being referred on for an endoscopy of my stomach by my GP. Don't know when I'll be called but I was doing a bit of searching on the internet and some of the patient information leaflets for this procedure mention sedation while others also give the option of staying awake and just having a throat spray to numb the area. Most of these seem to be UK hospitals though.

I was just wondering for those that have had them, were you always given an option of the 2 methods, or was sedation the only option? I would much prefer to stay awake as it would mean I wouldn't have to have someone to drive me home. Or is staying awake really uncomfortable and would ye have preferred to have taken the sedation route?

Thanks

Essential i would say, you wanna be awake for cameras down your throat or up yer behind :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Hi there, my doctor referred me for both a colonoscopy and endoscopy due to persistent stomach complaints, I was just wondering if they do both these procedures in the one go or will I have to come in on 2 separate occasions?

Also with the sedation do you still have control over your own breathing? I recently had to undergo a general anaesthetic to get my wisdom teeth out and I had an asthma attack within minutes of being induced, I'm terrified something like this would happen again :(

SillyMangox i was in same boat as you 2 year ago they will do the colonoscopy first and the they will do endoscopy with sedation its not like a general anaesthic as it only sedates you and you wont remember the procedures i have asthma myself they put a little oxygen pipe on your nose for your breathing

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joedared

Pity I did not see this thread a couple of weeks ago. I went for an endoscopy last Monday. Nurse was very pleasant and reassurring. Gave me both options. Spray down the throat or sedation. I dont mind needles but she said that the spray was the best option. Only a small discomfort.

For anybody reading through this thread looking for advice about endscopy ........ Take sedative !!! worst hospital procedure of my life. gagging spluttering gasping for air, highly embarrassing also. I have to get another one done in Dec and I will not be awake for that one I can assure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

joedared wrote: »
    Pity I did not see this thread a couple of weeks ago. I went for an endoscopy last Monday. Nurse was very pleasant and reassurring. Gave me both options. Spray down the throat or sedation. I dont mind needles but she said that the spray was the best option. Only a small discomfort.

For anybody reading through this thread looking for advice about endscopy ........ Take sedative !!! worst hospital procedure of my life. gagging spluttering gasping for air, highly embarrassing also. I have to get another one done in Dec and I will not be awake for that one I can assure you.

The sedative didn't work for me so I was also like that, I think I actually got sick because I heard her asking for suction! But it is over so so quick that I didn't really mind it that much. It was over as soon as it started.

OP here, I had mine done back in September, I didn't post at the time as I thought it might put people off. I had hoped to have the sedative but unfortunately I have such bad veins that, despite multiple attempts by multiple doctors, they couldn't get the ?canula in so I had to make do with the throat spray after all (just to point out to others having this procedure that I have ridiculously bad veins, I always have to drink loads of water and eat before blood tests etc, everyone else there on the day having their procedures got the sedative no bother so I was just an exception).
    It wasn't the nicest, was gagging and retching the whole time, but it was over pretty quickly. Felt ok afterwards, sore at the back of my throat and in the area where the endoscope had gone into my stomach, but that area was usually quite sore anyways (one of my symptoms) and I was fine again after a day or two. Was great to able to leave pretty quickly afterwards rather then having to wait for sedative to wear off. Results didn't show anything much, was put on PPIs for 6 weeks and that was meant to sort things out, came off them 3 weeks ago and symtoms have already returned :(

Advertisement