Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIMM 2012 entries

Options
  • 29-05-2012 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey,
    Just got an email saying I have passed my audition for entry to the guitar stream of BIMM this year, wondering how many other people have passed and what people think the points will be like. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭eric90000

yeah i passed mine too! im doing songwriting. i believe the demand was a lot higher this year. ive already done my leaving cert and i meet the requirements but im tryin to not get my hopes up cause theres a chance i wont get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rhythmicsugar

eric90000 wrote: »
    yeah i passed mine too! im doing songwriting. i believe the demand was a lot higher this year. ive already done my leaving cert and i meet the requirements but im tryin to not get my hopes up cause theres a chance i wont get it.

Yeah I'm just wondering what the chances are. The points will go up a fair bit I'd say.

Good luck :)

Yeah I'm just wondering what the chances are. The points will go up a fair bit I'd say.

Good luck :)

same to you man. i hope they dont go up too much! they were 305 last year. does the audition score count towards your points or is it purely based on leaving cert results?

same to you man. i hope they dont go up too much! they were 305 last year. does the audition score count towards your points or is it purely based on leaving cert results?

I think you get 100 points for the audition which would have made it 205? That's just ridiculously low :P would have to go up for the amount of interest I've seen. :(

I think you get 100 points for the audition which would have made it 205? That's just ridiculously low :P would have to go up for the amount of interest I've seen. :(

yeah that doesnt seem right......im sure they have a way of working it out. so you do defo get points for the audition then? i know yeah, sure they said in the email theres more musicians that passed the auditions than they have places available....haha ****. heres hoping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 caz2580

Hi, well done to all you guys. I passed the audition too and I'm doing vocals, can't wait to start even though I'm a bit worried about points to. They will for sure go up a good bit if the course was in high demand. I got 305 in my leaving cert and done a plc last year so i'll probably have to hope to get in on that.

caz2580 wrote: »
    Hi, well done to all you guys. I passed the audition too and I'm doing vocals, can't wait to start even though I'm a bit worried about points to. They will for sure go up a good bit if the course was in high demand. I got 305 in my leaving cert and done a plc last year so i'll probably have to hope to get in on that.

yeah best of luck to you anyway. I'm just hoping the audition counts as part of the points requirement.....I would imagine it does, I assume it'd be just like a portfolio for a photography course etc. Couldn't help but get exited when I saw the email this morn though! was mad nervous about not passing the audition.

yeah best of luck to you anyway. I'm just hoping the audition counts as part of the points requirement.....I would imagine it does, I assume it'd be just like a portfolio for a photography course etc. Couldn't help but get exited when I saw the email this morn though! was mad nervous about not passing the audition.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you get points for passing your audition.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

Congrats to those who passed!

I think the points will go up a fair bit. I know 5 of my friends & myself passed the audition, 1 of those bass & 4 guitar! Unless we are a flukey, talented bunch I'd say a lot passed, so the points will have to rise.

I though I made a balls of my audition!

Congrats to those who passed!

I think the points will go up a fair bit. I know 5 of my friends & myself passed the audition, 1 of those bass & 4 guitar! Unless we are a flukey, talented bunch I'd say a lot passed, so the points will have to rise.

I though I made a balls of my audition!

Yeah me too. My friends- 2 bassists, 2 guitarists and a songwriter all passed.

Hope we all get in!

It's annoying not knowing what to aim for in the LC.

• Advertisement

seems like a lot of people passed alright. I know last year the biggest demand was for songwriting.....unlucky for me! last year though people were saying the points were going to be pretty high, probably upwards of 400 and they turned out to be 305.....I know the demand is higher this year but its hard to tell I guess.

The points for the course will be decided by the number and standard of the applicants so there's no way of predicting until august when the results are out. unless a lot of people who passed the auditions get an high points average it probably wont go up a huge amount (we are musicians after all, probably not the most academic bunch! I'll just keep telling myself that anyway)

does anyone know what the story is with the audition score, does it have any bearing on your CAO points application like say for example a photography portfolio would?

does anyone know what the story is with the audition score, does it have any bearing on your CAO points application like say for example a photography portfolio would?

There was some people saying that the audition adds to your CAO points. I remember looking at the examiners checklist at the audition, & I'm pretty sure it was marked out of 100.

But that's a bit unfair, I think. You could have someone who, say, got 41/100 for the audition (or whatever the passing mark was) but gets 580 points. So combined score of 621.
    But then maybe you'll have someone who got 94/100 for the audition, yet only managed 315 for the leaving, a combined score of 409. I think the guy who got 94/100 is more deserving of it.

But anyway, all we can do is our best! Good luck to you all, hopefully we'll all get in :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28 13whatsername

There was some people saying that the audition adds to your CAO points. I remember looking at the examiners checklist at the audition, & I'm pretty sure it was marked out of 100.

But that's a bit unfair, I think. You could have someone who, say, got 41/100 for the audition (or whatever the passing mark was) but gets 580 points. So combined score of 621.
    But then maybe you'll have someone who got 94/100 for the audition, yet only managed 315 for the leaving, a combined score of 409. I think the guy who got 94/100 is more deserving of it.

But anyway, all we can do is our best! Good luck to you all, hopefully we'll all get in :p

I haven't a clue what's the case with this course, but apparantly with some other courses that auditions are neccessary for then anyone who passes just gets the same amount of points added on? Not sure really but hope that's the case haha
    regardless, if so many people applied then I'd say that there wouldn't be massive differences between the points that any of us who passed have gotten :)

I haven't a clue what's the case with this course, but apparantly with some other courses that auditions are neccessary for then anyone who passes just gets the same amount of points added on? Not sure really but hope that's the case haha
    regardless, if so many people applied then I'd say that there wouldn't be massive differences between the points that any of us who passed have gotten :)

Yeah, I heard that the passing mark was 70 out of 100 which is pretty high.

I know yeah, I would say whoever got the most marks in their audition would deserve it more in that case, as its a music course anyway.

Yeah, I heard that the passing mark was 70 out of 100 which is pretty high.

no way? thats mad, didnt realise that. does anyone know for sure if your audition points get added to your total amount of Leaving Cert points?!

I tried emailing BIMM but got no reply this time.

no way? thats mad, didnt realise that. does anyone know for sure if your audition points get added to your total amount of Leaving Cert points?!

I tried emailing BIMM but got no reply this time.

70+/100 ? If that's true I'll feel a whole lot better about my playing haha :D

The email said they'd let us know what that craic is by the end of June, so we'll just have to play the waiting game!

70+/100 ? If that's true I'll feel a whole lot better about my playing haha :D

The email said they'd let us know what that craic is by the end of June, so we'll just have to play the waiting game!

Yeah I'm not even sure it is true it's just what I've heard from a few people. One of them is someone who is already doing the course though. Hope it's true :)

Yeah a whole lotta waiting. :P

how did everyone get on!? I got offered a place this morning! delighted! 130 points increase compared to last last year, crazy!! I would say there's a fair few people who deserved a place but didn't get one due to the points increase...which is a bit unfair. I can definitely confirm the audition points are added on top of your total leaving cert points also! depending on how well you did in the audition, I think the max is 100 points awarded.

Got an offer for guitar along with my friend. Another friend got an offer for songwriting too. Delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Niamh_Kav

Hi guys! I'm really interested in this course but unfortunately its gone up to 435 this year! :( If some of you got in after CAO offers do any of you know if the points from your audition are added on to your Leaving Cert points? Also anyone who auditioned with vocals what were you asked in the audition?

Niamh_Kav wrote: »
    Hi guys! I'm really interested in this course but unfortunately its gone up to 435 this year! :( If some of you got in after CAO offers do any of you know if the points from your audition are added on to your Leaving Cert points? Also anyone who auditioned with vocals what were you asked in the audition?

Hey!

yeah the audition points defo get added onto your overall cao score. I believe it varies on how well you do in your audition, some people got 100 which is the max, and i think some people got 40 and 60 or something. i did songwriting so can't help ya with the vocal audition....go for it tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Brianomatic

Hey man well done for being accepted, I'm going for the course this year and was just wondering what type of stuff did you play at the audition and did they tell you if they look for anything in particular. Also how's the course going for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 senecafalls

Hey man well done for being accepted, I'm going for the course this year and was just wondering what type of stuff did you play at the audition and did they tell you if they look for anything in particular. Also how's the course going for you?

I did an audition there that went really well but didn't attend BIMM in the end. You play a piece you're comfortable (for guitar anyway - I chose a Jimi Hendrix song), show what scales you know, improvise jam with the guy/gal giving the audition (for timing purposes mainly), a bit of music theory. They basically just pick your brain for what you know/can do and how driven you are as a musician. It was a very chilled out experience.

Also, I was emailed by BIMM saying they take LC points, audition and any other qualifications you have into account when passing people.

Advertisement